Lure caught None predatory fish

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Lure caught None predatory fish

Post by martin(rockape) »

Out piking yesterday on a lake deadbaiting and lure fishing for pike. My brother-in-law calls me on tge phone laughing his head off as he had a Carp take his lure, yes it was hooked in the mouth but unfortunately he lost it.

Some time later he caught and landed a 14Lb Mirror Carp though this was hooked to the far end of it back.

What i found funny was that just a short distance away across the lake were 4 or 5 bivies all battoned down no doubt with the occupants still sleeping.

Any way what have you guys caught on lure or deadbaiting that you would consider to be out of the ordinary for that type of fish?

We both went on to catching 7 pike between us 4 on lures and 3 on deads so this broke my 3 blank cycle.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Re: Lure caught None predatory fish

Post by Slug »

Sat in car on an any method trout res having some lunch watching a guy in front of me spinning. Saw him swing a fish to hand so went down to chat and asked him what it was he didn’t seem at all surprised that he’d caught a roach on a large fluorescent pink spinner.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I've had a few, roach, rudd, gudgeon, ruffe, dace, bleak, tench, bream and carp.
The carp took a small jerkbait, everything else was caught on my home poured soft plastics.

A guy on the LAS had a BIG eel on a lure last year.
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Used to fish a water where eels would fairly often take a lure. Some decent ones too. By that I mean, a few times over a couple of years, it's not like it was happening every day. It's a decent size loch, but very shallow and peaty. I gave up pike fishing it eventually because the eels were unmanageable. Been back a few times to target eels, it's utterly infested with them, any body who says eels are an endangered species just need to check out one or 2 waters in sw Scotland, because I think they've all just moved there!
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

Caught plenty of Rudd on small Mepps etc, also a few carp and bream on gudgeon deadbaits intended for eels. Speaking of eels, there used to be plenty here in Irish waters but I haven't caught or seen one now for what must be 10 years, one time they were a pest. You can now be prosecuted here for being in possession of an eel or parts of an eel.
Marcraft are for queers.
David Vaissiere
Chub
Chub

Post by David Vaissiere »

Had an 8lb 10oz sea trout a few years ago on a half bluey off a fen drain, is a tad different when something big, silvery and spotty pops up at the net
Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. YNWA
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

martin(rockape) wrote: Sun Feb 10 2019 11:44 -
Out piking yesterday on a lake deadbaiting and lure fishing for pike. My brother-in-law calls me on tge phone laughing his head off as he had a Carp take his lure, yes it was hooked in the mouth but unfortunately he lost it.

Some time later he caught and landed a 14Lb Mirror Carp though this was hooked to the far end of it back.

What i found funny was that just a short distance away across the lake were 4 or 5 bivies all battoned down no doubt with the occupants still sleeping.

Any way what have you guys caught on lure or deadbaiting that you would consider to be out of the ordinary for that type of fish?

We both went on to catching 7 pike between us 4 on lures and 3 on deads so this broke my 3 blank cycle.

Regards

Martin
I caught a 16lb common on a whole mackerel deadbait just 2 days ago. Was getting really finicky line bites for about an hour, just single beeps then nothing for another 10 mins or so. Next thing, a crazy run resulted in the carp with a mackerel tail sticking outta its gob. The bait was ruined as well, the thing must have been sucking on the bait for ages, hence what I thought were line bites.
Was talking about it to a mate tho, and considering a lot of carp baits are fish based then it’s not surprising really !
Bit like pike picking up boilies I suppose !?!
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Drift take
Roach
Roach

Post by Drift take »

I had 2 20lb carp on bluey deadbaits in the same session . Caught chub on lures and seen in the angling times a guy have a 40lb carp on a small lure hooked square in the mouth.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

I had a 19lb 4oz Mirror Carp from a Fenland river on a 2oz Skimmer livebait during a very cold night in the late 90's, what a run & scrap that gave me! :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

I also had an 8lb 15oz Bream from a different Fenland river on a 3" Kopyto Shad on the last day of the season about 10 years ago. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

From all the responses its not an uncommon occurrence then.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

My son had a 13lb carp on a smelt a good few years ago. Screamer of a run, which didn't seem 'right', so the odd capture explained that. It was well-hooked in the mouth.

Had a similar very fast take on the same water only the other week - missed it as it was on a 6" roach, but felt sure a carp was the culprit.

Also netted a carp for someone years ago while lure fishing. The carp regurgitated about a dozen 1" - 2" carp fingerlings - so they are not only opportunistic piscivores, but cannibalistic predators too.

Going to try casting plastic grubs for them on my local carp pool in the spring (when cyprinids are reputedly at their most predatory).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Biggest bream I've had is 12-3. One very well known spot on an Anglian ressie throws up loads that size.

Set out to catch as many different species on a lure as possible out of the same river a few years back.
Managed:
Pike
zander
Perch
Trout
Chub
Bream
Roach
Rudd
Bleak
Dace
Minnow
Stickleback
Ruffe

Was fun for a summer but quickly got boring once I'd worked it out. Roach were the hardest to actually catch, a couple were hard to find. Could in theory have had a carp, eel, tench and bittering, and there was apparently a barbel stocking a few years ago but there was as much chance of hooking a pig mid-cast as there was of those five.

Mind you. Is it really lure fishing when you're using what's tantamount to a fake maggot? I suppose it is hunting rather than trapping but it's definitely tenuous.
James Dobie.
Duncfish
Roach
Roach

Post by Duncfish »

Think it was Mark Barrett who had a then time Fenland record carp (30 plus pounds?) on a livebait rudd 😊 .My mate had an 8lb barbel on a Joey mackerel.
bigaldo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by bigaldo »

I was fishing a lake in South of England for Carp. Everyone was struggling with no fish coming out when I stumbled across the method and emptied the place. Hair rigged Smelt section. Deadly!!!!
"Alll the battles are won, but I'm still on the run"
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

I've lost track of the number of carp I've caught on deadbaits - and that's when I've been trying to avoid the beggars! In fact on some waters I had to go up to 5 inch deads to avoid carp, and even that doesn't stop them completely.

Freshwater deads are bad enough but they particularly liked whitebait. In fact I've caught lots of different species on whitebait. You can read more about this in this article entitled "5lb Roach or Deadbait Surprises": http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/articles/co ... _for_chub/.

I remember one of the first times I used whitebait for stillwater chub. I caught carp frequently enough that the local carp anglers kept asking what I'd caught on. I always replied "a high protein special"!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Lures he said - not on dead baits :laughs: as I think it is common on some waters to get species like carp picking up dead baits and on one water I fished, we were getting some pretty big chub on baits like smelt and half mackerel... anyway, to the answer the question...

Predatory I would say that's pike, zander, perch, trout, eel, catfish and chub. All of course will take lures, although Eels I have only ever had one on a lure; on a bulldawg and it went 7lb something. Catfish? I've had quite a few on lures and I was targeting them. Not easy and you need to pick the right water, but it is a viable method. My best so far on a lure went 46, that was on a big Sandra. So, non-predatory (if there is such a thing), would be for me:

Bream - several... quite a few trolling crank baits and spoons. My PB Bream of 16.04 was on a lure. How embarrassing...
Tench - had two on spinner baits
Carp - three, two on spoons and one on dancin' raider of all things and hundreds on zigs, which is kinda lure fishing, yeah, maybe?
Barbel - a few now on spinners
Rudd - when spinning for perch I've had a few
Piking Plonker
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

I used to fish for Chub on a local river in the summer using the old Shakespeare Middy S plugs. It was great fishing as you used to see them in their shoals and could watch as one broke ranks to take the lure. That said though, Chub are proper predators.

When I was a kid I used to read about big Barbel from yesteryear coming out early season from weirs on Devon Minnows cast by the Salmon men.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
CarpRboring!
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by CarpRboring! »

I quite regularly foul-hook decent size Bream on my local canal when Piking, most of them on shads.
To blank or not to blank, that is the question.
nortchul
Roach
Roach

Post by nortchul »

Just watched a YouTube video of a guy catching bream on small rubber lures.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Had several nice roach on spin jigs last year👍
That Perkins !!! 😂
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Almost got kicked off a Carp water for foul hooking a 21lb Carp in the root of its tail with a Bulldawg, The water was Barbless only & I’d forgot to crush the barbs! :roll:
Great fight though tbf! :laughs:
Andy Sewell
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

I've caught a couple of crucian carp on small lures, both an unexpected surprise. In Korea loads of people fish for Barbel on lures with great success.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Here's one from last week on a 1inch lure.
Lost two before landing this one.
I was fishing for perch btw.
IMG-20190512-WA0006-640x480.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burt Squirrell
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Burt Squirrell »

Had a few Roach whilst fishing small plastics on my Ultralight gear, but I'm talking small creature baits.

Had a nice size Bream on a jointed Yogi as well, when I was supposedly stalking Chub on a small river!!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Just saying, foul hooking with lures isn't catching fish on lures... if it was, I would have temporarily held the British bream record - I had a fish of 22 and ounces on a Burt, accidently foul hooked across the back. Long story short, I never even took a picture and later realised how fecking big that fish was. This was on the same venue where a few years later the current rod caught record came from... I also had an 19, again accidently foul hooked on a lure and that was from a pit just up the road from the afore mentioned venue. My PB c*ck-up on a lure is a 38lb carp, foul hooked when trolling on an Essex reservoir. Ooops.
Piking Plonker
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Just saying. The carp I caught was hooked fair and square in the mouth.
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Steve Moore wrote: Wed May 22 2019 20:18 -
Just saying. The carp I caught was hooked fair and square in the mouth.
And a real stunner too. Tomorrow got the whole day fishing, so hoping for some luck. Trying for Black bass, Steed Barbel and Northern Snakehead. Hope I catch something!