Lead on lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Lead on lures

Post by Danoutdoors »

Anyone significantly tweak their lures with lead to get them in to different depth bands, I’ve got lures that I have huge confidence in that I want to get down in to different depth bands and I’m thinking to have a bunch of lead and glue in the boat, I think it will improve my catch rate, anyone been doing that? Thanks
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Lead on lures

Post by jonsykes »

Why not use lead coil around the hook shanks? Easy to remove if needs be.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

I take it this is for casting Dan and not trolling ?
If it is the lures that I think you are referring to, you will need to be really careful that you do not wreck their action by adding lead, they clearly work well without any additional weight and you could totally negate any benefits you think you might gain from getting them deeper if you loose the action, (I know that you probably know all this already anyway),
I'm not sure how deep you feel you need to go but you can get self adheasive lead strips which will help to a degree, or what Jon said, the benefit with the self adhesive lead strips is that you can sick them anywhere on the lure to maintain balance and action.
Good luck and have fun :thumbs: .

Will.
Chilli
Roach
Roach

Post by Chilli »

I've used power dots, lead wire, clip on lead pears, heavier hooks, wolverine split rings and shot gun cartridge lead. All very effective in adjusting the running depth of different types of lures without killing the action.
Chilli
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Chilli wrote: Sun Feb 24 2019 11:53 -
I've used power dots, lead wire, clip on lead pears, heavier hooks, wolverine split rings and shot gun cartridge lead. All very effective in adjusting the running depth of different types of lures without killing the action.
+1 :thumbs: I’ve even used the stick on wheel weights used for balancing
Andy Sewell
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Top stuff thanks lads, I’ll be up on the church roof tonight getting my lead🤣

I knew you lot would have some decent ideas, will follow them up, thanks 🙏
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Chilli wrote: Sun Feb 24 2019 11:53 -
If I am correct, Dan may be referring to some hand made glide baits that he has good results on, glide baits are quite finely tuned and action could quite easily be ruined by additional weight placed incorrectly IMO.
Whist with cranks and SPs there is little to go wrong.
Will.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Adding weight to the balance point of the lure has the least effect on the action :thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

I add weight to the front of big plastics so they'll work deeper at slower retrieves. You can also do that with a number of hard body lures, but need to be mindful on where you place the weight so as to not ruin the action too much. Having said that, I often hang a weight off the first attachment ring on a Burt to get them deeper.
Piking Plonker
happyangler
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by happyangler »

Just a note, the use of lead weights betweenn .06 grams and 28.35 grams is ilegal for angling UNLESS the lead is an integral part of a lure.