Doubles hookups

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
darrencootehill87
Stickleback
Stickleback

Doubles hookups

Post by darrencootehill87 »

So last Monday we where throwing lures from the boat. And we where both casting down wind. And every time one of us hit a fish the other guy would hook up almost straight away as well. It happened about 6 times in the one day. Is it possible that pike are feeding in shoals or small packs togetger?? Most of the fish we landed were about 8-9lb. Just found it strange to happen so often in the one day. We where fishing over a tight bait ball and where casting around the edges of it. Same technique as we always use.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Re: Doubles hookups

Post by Danoutdoors »

100% I’d say, they were working the bait ball and you were working them, great result when they are well up for it like that, bet you can’t wait to get back after them 👍
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

In big game fishing when two fish are hook-up together it is called a double-header, Ive also experienced simultaneous hook-ups while jigging for grouper when we call it something less attractive.
When trolling in blue water you can often see two or more marlin, especially white marlin, enter the lure spread, dodge from lure to lure as they track the lure spread becoming increasingly excited before they eventually strike, this is possible because a marlin 'lights up' a vivid electron blue when its becomes excited and really deep oceananic water is gin clear.
In jiggjng big fish can be observed on the FF to rise off the reef and gather is a tighter pack before they strike.

In both these curcumstances the fish are attracted by the lures/jigs and when one decides to attack several more will do the same, probably because the chances of succes are much greater.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

While pike certainly cooperate to 'herd' prey fish, I've not always found them easy to catch when they are so completely focussed - particularly with lures. I once spent one of the most frustrating hours ever, fishing a boatyard with Chris Leibbrandt where pike were striking everywhere but completely preoccupied with tiny fry. We threw every lure possible, of all sizes, but couldn't buy a take!

Conversely, I've fished when pike have just suddenly 'turned on' - and in that situation, when they've simply 'gone on the feed', takes have occurred on both lures and deadbaits with my fishing partner and me getting takes within moments of each other on baits many yards apart. My guess is that this general 'dinner bell' is what results in simultaneous hookups most often.

I even had a double hookup on my own a few weeks ago, when my deadbait was taken while I was still landing one on a lure! Not big fish, but pleasing as I don't often get two on the mat at the same time.

20190308_110019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Double hook ups are great fun, we have had quite a few over the years in similar circumstances, and also more isolated occasions.
Right place right time and they want to play :thumbs: .

Will.