Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Post Reply
User avatar
Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Sep 29 2018 13:27

Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Flipflopjoe » Tue Apr 30 2019 22:16

Getting a few bits ready in prep for next season and looking at some bigger lures for my new heavier set up.
My best pattern BY FAR last season was firetiger and natural Perch so I was looking for a big perch soft lure around 90–100g. The main 2 (in my price range) are the Fox Rage Replicant Perch Lure 18cm 95g, or the Savage Gear 4D Shad Lure a bit smaller at 18.5cm and 75g.
The Fox is the cheaper outta the 2 (only by a couple squid) and I’ve had a good bit of success using their 50g replicant wobble lures last season but was wondering if there are any views on which Is superior outta the fix and SG ?!?
Cheers.

User avatar
Steve Dennington
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3227
Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011 05:00
Location: Suffolk

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Steve Dennington » Tue Apr 30 2019 22:26

Ready rigged baits are okay if they work at the speed and depth that you want them to.

My vote is for the SG shads, combined with their corkscrew heads (in various weights), rigged with a pair of trebles. Much more adaptable, with a superb hook-up ratio, and cheaper to replace when they get chewed up too :thumbs:

Tony McTaggart
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Sep 19 2013 15:05

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Tony McTaggart » Fri May 03 2019 10:30

None of the above....Get yourself some pig shads, Westin shads, svartzonker etc.
Much more versatile when rigged yourself.

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 19475
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Kev Berry » Fri May 03 2019 20:39

Got some nice Rapala's coming soon---blagged one of the rep when he came round, hard body, soft (replacable) tail about 9 inch long---forgot what its called. Will put a pic up tomorrow

Harper
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 29 2018 18:43

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Harper » Fri May 03 2019 21:01

I like the sg and the westin Percy the perch. Not a big fan the replicant range. The sg line thru roach worked best for me last season in gold and natural patters

Daniel
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Lincoln

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Daniel » Fri May 03 2019 21:18

Kev Berry wrote:
Got some nice Rapala's coming soon---blagged one of the rep when he came round, hard body, soft (replacable) tail about 9 inch long---forgot what its called. Will put a pic up tomorrow
That'll be the peto.

User avatar
Alan_dalton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Alan_dalton » Fri May 03 2019 23:18

Daniel wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
Got some nice Rapala's coming soon---blagged one of the rep when he came round, hard body, soft (replacable) tail about 9 inch long---forgot what its called. Will put a pic up tomorrow
That'll be the peto.
Good lures had them last season, caught trolling on
he river with them.

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout
Posts: 19475
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Kev Berry » Sat May 04 2019 00:24

Harper wrote:
I like the sg and the westin Percy the perch. Not a big fan the replicant range. The sg line thru roach worked best for me last season in gold and natural patters
Been having a few chats with a Latvian guy that comes in the shop---good lure angler
he has been doing very well with "Mike the Pike" from Westin---the big one especially. Told me he had a mahoosive pike on last week that broke his line at the net, lost the lure as well. Whether the pike manages to shake it out or not remains to be seen.

User avatar
Flipflopjoe
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Sep 29 2018 13:27

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Flipflopjoe » Sat May 04 2019 13:57

Cheers for the reply’s lads, gonna have look at the Westin range and Rapalas. I have looked at the Westin Hollow Teez before, they look like a good idea with the hole for foam or scent. The others are quite a bit more costly aren’t they ?!?

Harper
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 29 2018 18:43

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Harper » Sat May 04 2019 20:13

Kev Berry wrote:
Harper wrote:
I like the sg and the westin Percy the perch. Not a big fan the replicant range. The sg line thru roach worked best for me last season in gold and natural patters
Been having a few chats with a Latvian guy that comes in the shop---good lure angler
he has been doing very well with "Mike the Pike" from Westin---the big one especially. Told me he had a mahoosive pike on last week that broke his line at the net, lost the lure as well. Whether the pike manages to shake it out or not remains to be seen.
I haven’t trued “mike the pike” yet.
But I do like the line thru system from sg for that reason much harder to shake out and easier to unhook with out the lure in the way

Post Reply