Large Shad

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Large Shad

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

What’s the largest Shad type lure available? I’m off to France in a few weeks and want to try to catch a Catfish on a lure, the rules won’t allow for the use of treble hooks so a single hook lure is what is needed and I’m thinking a large Shad to be best option, the lake I will be fishing is stuffed with small Carp so I’m wanting something that will represent them, any recommendations?
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Large Shad

Post by Carlperkins »

Pig shads
Used a lot on YouTube
That Perkins !!! 😂
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

SG Herring Shads are available in 32cm, but I shudder to think what size single hook you'd need to fish them effectively! :eek:
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Stinger spike hooks. Probably have to make your own in a suitable size but a few companies do make them. Rig them with a corkscrew jig head or shallow screws on loose body shads.
I’ve got some 25cm monster teez in the for sale section which you could swap the trebles over to singles.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

These are the stinger spike hooks:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ive actually watched a French guy catch a catfish on a surface lure, the strike was amazing, like chucking in a VW beetle!
He was also using a soft shad around 6" greeny yellow which I watched him cast around in a roadside canal, I never saw the hook/s the whole lot was out of sight and he just cut the line, killed the fish and took it to his van to eat.

Ive also had cats attack black bass hooked in the barragems in Andulusia, no messing just a huge slosh and everythings gone. To save the fish and the lure it was necessary to get the fish in PDQ, if it was big, slow and noisey it was goodnight.

I would rig a big circle about 1" infront of any softee lure and tighten as the fish returns to the bottom.
Circle hooks are used in the Seine where commercials longline the catfish for market so are nothing new to the French.

A surface trolling lure, a GT popper, a small plastic bottle fished bottom first or a short section of wide rubber hose, anything fashioned to splash and pop would do it.
Last edited by Mike J on Tue May 14 2019 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

I fished the Po a few years ago and for our night sessions I used some Kalins Big N`s ...........
I had a half dozen cats on this lure .
A bit surreal hooking and landing a 100lber in pitch black at 1am !

Rgds , Pat
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Think noise rather than size, use a Shad with good body roll, pig Shads roll well but don’t disturb much water, Westins Shadteez (the deep sizes) roll extremely well, add a glass rattle, or Ricky the Roach plus a rattle, Keitech Fat Swing Impact is also a great lure, ribbed so disturbs a lot of water, is impregnated with salt and squid flavour and can be fished very slow!