New baitcasting rod

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Ieh
Stickleback
Stickleback

New baitcasting rod

Post by Ieh »

I'm going to buy a new baitcasting rod for the coming season and quite liked the sound of the Tailwalk Backhoo Rise (702H model). Unfortunately I can't find anywhere locally that has these so it would be a blind mail order purchase. I know their Bass spinning rods are highly regarded but does anyone have one of these rods who would offer their opinion, positive or otherwise?

Thanks,

Ian
Ian
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Re: New baitcasting rod

Post by Ben »

They look nice and being Japanese they are sure to be good quality but I would be concerned about buying blind and also worried about warranty and/or future repairs.

Personally I like to support UK manufacturing so I only have Harrison blanks built by Sir David Lumb of Tarleton.

Plus I think it’s nice to be able to add a personal touch on handbuilt rods.
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Ben wrote: Mon May 20 2019 17:28 -
They look nice and being Japanese they are sure to be good quality but I would be concerned about buying blind and also worried about warranty and/or future repairs.

Personally I like to support UK manufacturing so I only have Harrison blanks built by Sir David Lumb of Tarleton.

Surely he is getting far too long in the tooth for such sentimentality Ben, won’t be around forever!!
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Ieh wrote: Mon May 20 2019 16:53 -
I'm going to buy a new baitcasting rod for the coming season and quite liked the sound of the Tailwalk Backhoo Rise (702H model). Unfortunately I can't find anywhere locally that has these so it would be a blind mail order purchase. I know their Bass spinning rods are highly regarded but does anyone have one of these rods who would offer their opinion, positive or otherwise?

Thanks,

Ian
Ian, I don’t have that specific rod but do have a couple of Tailwalk rods, friends have many others and they are very special tools for the cost
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Ian Crook wrote: Mon May 20 2019 19:19 -
Ben wrote: Mon May 20 2019 17:28 -

Surely he is getting far too long in the tooth for such sentimentality Ben, won’t be around forever!!
:madmick:
winniethepooh
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by winniethepooh »

I have that exact rod and I love it. The casting weight is out, it'll comfortable cast to 50g perhaps even more and I would say it's happiest in the 20-50g range. It's certainly a fast actioned rod you could perhaps even describe it as extra fast actioned, it has more than enough backbone to work lures like 10cm sliders.

Build quality is faultless.
Ieh
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Ieh »

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like my bank balance is about to take a hit! 😋
Ian
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ieh wrote: Mon May 20 2019 22:06 -
Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like my bank balance is about to take a hit! 😋

Ive got a number of Japanese JDM rods that I have imported direct from Japan.
Checkout the price of your rod in Japan, you might save yourself a decent sum, and if its not available steer well clear, Japanese anglers are manic about quality :thumbs:
I have never once had a problem with those Japanese rods, not once, ever, and believe me I have hammered those rods harder than you could possibly imagine.
The recovery rate of Japanese carbon is phenomenal, far faster than anything I or my friends have used, with the exception of Jigging Master.

That said I have a pair of DLST own design P2 blanks and they are up there with the very best in their class, and if I ever need another spinner I will look in Dave's direction first.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus