Page 1 of 2

Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 20:57
by Steve Le maitre
Perch, Chub, Pike, no matter what is your top 5 Crankbaits ! Impossible in reality of course but it must be your favourite, hint ( your favourite) not the fishes choice, of course you want effective baits but sometimes other things override this decision !
Some baits you just love, if you have ever been for a bath and taken a “that” crank with you, you know what I mean !
Ok here are mine and it’s been hard to narrow down and in no particular order and with a highly trolling biased view here we go !
No 1- the Magna Strike 9” Grandma, discontinued since 97 but if you bought as many as me you ain’t running out any time soon !
No 2- 13” Magnum Shallow Invader, awesome big fish bait and a good hooker, cast or troll.
No 3- Bucher Magnum Shallow Raider, never had a fish under 13lb on this one and these have seen good few fish.
No 4- Floating or original Depth Raider, the (my) big fish statistics don’t back it up but there is something about it that it makes it on the list.
No 5- Tyrant Tackle’s 9” Shallow Czar whether cast or trolled it is one heck of a bait, solid foam + through wired.

In all honesty a top 5 is impossible but I would troll those on any body of water ignoring river systems where I would tend to go smaller. So what have you got ?

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 21:03
by John Milford
If you're trolling Steve, you're not using them as 'crank baits'. Are they any good for cranking?

Mine are:

Heddon Magnum Tadpolly

Heddon River Runt Spook

Mann's 1 Minus

Mann's Super Stretch 1 Minus

Halco Laser Pro 6"

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 21:12
by Steve Le maitre
John Milford wrote:
If you're trolling Steve, you're not using them as 'crank baits'. Are they any good for cranking?
They are Crankbaits John, even in the bath they are still Crankbaits ! 3 of those listed are technically flat sided Minnows, but you get the idea.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 21:18
by Steve Le maitre
The Mann’s Super Stretch 1 Minus is a grand bait John, you can even take the rear hook off and add a size 4 Colorado blade and it makes a fantastic top water bait. Why am I talking top waters !

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 21:23
by Monts
Chub Lure A Bomber Square A all day long.
Perch Lure MH Deep Diving Crank "n" Shad in Black Perch.
Perch again Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad in a Crawfish Pattern.
Pike MH Sniper, great action and a real fun lure to use.
Anything that swims a Manns 1-

Its what I always look for when sorting them out for a day along the river.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 21:29
by Steve Le maitre
Monts wrote:
Chub Lure A Bomber Square A all day long.
Perch Lure MH Deep Diving Crank "n" Shad in Black Perch.
Perch again Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad in a Crawfish Pattern.
Pike MH Sniper, great action and a real fun lure to use.
Anything that swims A Manns 1-

Its what I always look for when sorting them out for a day along the river.

All alien to me I’m afraid, would I need to put my glasses on just to see them that’s the question :smile:

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 21:30
by Monts
Steve Le maitre wrote:
Monts wrote:
Chub Lure A Bomber Square A all day long.
Perch Lure MH Deep Diving Crank "n" Shad in Black Perch.
Perch again Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad in a Crawfish Pattern.
Pike MH Sniper, great action and a real fun lure to use.
Anything that swims A Manns 1-

Its what I always look for when sorting them out for a day along the river.

All alien to me I’m afraid, would I need to put my glasses on just to see them that’s the question :smile:


:w****r:

:thumbs:

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 22:14
by royboy
Mostly trolling , and in no particular order except for an 8" Hooker , which is the first to be clipped on !
Salmo Perch SDR .
Musky Mania 8" Jake
Musky Mania 9" Ernie
Rozemeijer Tyson ,
There are a few more but you said 5 !

Pat .

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 22:33
by John Milford
Steve Le maitre wrote:
The Mann’s Super Stretch 1 Minus is a grand bait John, you can even take the rear hook off and add a size 4 Colorado blade and it makes a fantastic top water bait. Why am I talking top waters !
:thumbs: posting.php?mode=quote&f=48&p=556902

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Wed Jun 12 2019 22:48
by andrew_nagel
This changes like the wind depending on where I'm fishing, but 5 that I have total confidence in are:
1) Whopper Stopper Magnum Hellcat. Simple solid bodied slim 7" minnowbait that casts, twitches, and hooks very well.
2) Musky Mania Lil' Ernie. Catches everything including the big ones.
3) Legend Jnr. More subtle action that similar shaped baits. Indestructible solid body. Catches lots of fish on both depth settings.
4) Bradrock Molly Bait. Subtle actioned slim flat sided minnowbait. Fished fast the are awesome catchers. Solid body.
5) Hooker Tackle Jnr. Good big profile with an action that catches fish deep. Trolled deep and slow on leadcore they catch very well. Again a solid body.

Five is way too few to choose between. So especially for you Steve...

6) L&S Mirrolure 111MR. When depth raiders have blown (and they do because they catch so well) stick one of these on and go a bit faster. :wink:

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 06:04
by Steve Le maitre
royboy wrote:
Mostly trolling , and in no particular order except for an 8" Hooker , which is the first to be clipped on !
Salmo Perch SDR .
Musky Mania 8" Jake
Musky Mania 9" Ernie
Rozemeijer Tyson ,
There are a few more but you said 5 !

Pat .

Very interesting Pat you placed the 8” Hooker on here and rate it so highly, more so is that you have the 8” Jake here ! - the 8” Jake ! :shrug:
Yes the Ernie is unique and pretty much bombproof, it’s also hard to get one snagged up solid - but top 5 ! What special things are you doing with it Pat ?
I still can’t get over the 8” Jake though :eek:
Thanks for those Pat, soon when we run out we can do another top 5 :boing:
ps At the start I did say they could be your favourite and not necessarily “great” catchers so that explains the 8” Jake thing !

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 06:26
by Steve Le maitre
andrew_nagel wrote:
This changes like the wind depending on where I'm fishing, but 5 that I have total confidence in are:
1) Whopper Stopper Magnum Hellcat. Simple solid bodied slim 7" minnowbait that casts, twitches, and hooks very well.
2) Musky Mania Lil' Ernie. Catches everything including the big ones.
3) Legend Jnr. More subtle action that similar shaped baits. Indestructible solid body. Catches lots of fish on both depth settings.
4) Bradrock Molly Bait. Subtle actioned slim flat sided minnowbait. Fished fast the are awesome catchers. Solid body.
5) Hooker Tackle Jnr. Good big profile with an action that catches fish deep. Trolled deep and slow on leadcore they catch very well. Again a solid body.

Five is way too few to choose between. So especially for you Steve...

6) L&S Mirrolure 111MR. When depth raiders have blown (and they do because they catch so well) stick one of these on and go a bit faster. :wink:

Andrew, a few questions Sir. With the Molly bait I’m assuming you are referring to the 7”, as you know they didn’t make either of these for long but if you are referring to the 9” you have a lot of explaining to do !
The Lil’ Ernie I get, if only the Ernie had the same sweet action, Pat likes them though !
I have one Magnum Hellcat - only one ! Yes no other 7” Minnow comes close.
Thanks for those Andrew. Oh you mention the Depth Raider, with 115 of the things I could find this hard to say but give me a 9” Triple D any day. I don’t own a single Mirrolure, maybe I should.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 06:34
by Steve Le maitre
Monts wrote:
Chub Lure A Bomber Square A all day long.
Perch Lure MH Deep Diving Crank "n" Shad in Black Perch.
Perch again Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad in a Crawfish Pattern.
Pike MH Sniper, great action and a real fun lure to use.
Anything that swims a Manns 1-

Its what I always look for when sorting them out for a day along the river.
Sorry Jason I can’t comment on any of yours simply because of the sizes ! I know you like your Cranks so they all must be good.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 07:46
by Monts
Steve Le maitre wrote:
Monts wrote:
Chub Lure A Bomber Square A all day long.
Perch Lure MH Deep Diving Crank "n" Shad in Black Perch.
Perch again Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad in a Crawfish Pattern.
Pike MH Sniper, great action and a real fun lure to use.
Anything that swims a Manns 1-

Its what I always look for when sorting them out for a day along the river.
Sorry Jason I can’t comment on any of yours simply because of the sizes ! I know you like your Cranks so they all must be good.

I know Steve, five of mine measure up to one of yours. :smile:

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 08:24
by winniethepooh
Pike - Mouldy's Hawg Wobbler
Pike - Musky Mania Jake
Chub - Bomber Shallow A
Perch - Salmo Hornet
Perch & Chub - Yogi

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 08:38
by Steve Le maitre
winniethepooh wrote:
Pike - Mouldy's Hawg Wobbler
Pike - Musky Mania Jake
Chub - Bomber Shallow A
Perch - Salmo Hornet
Perch & Chub - Yogi
Hawg Wobbler, get outta here with your topwaters !

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 08:43
by davelumb
I can't come up with five crankbaits that aren't minnowbaits or flat-sided minnows!

Trolling, the only ones I ended up taking with me were the first three as I always had plenty of Squirrelly Burts with me. :laughs: :

9" Ernie
Deep Invader
Mann's Magnum Stretch 30+ (or other depth rating depending on venue)
Jointed Grandma

I've used lots of others but they were all much of a muchness.


Casting, prefer twitching minnows like the Bomber really. I can't think of any big pike I've caught casting cranks - although I can remember one which turned away at the edge and another that fell off. :hissy:

Ernie/Li'l Ernie
Magna Strike Equalizer
Magna Strike Predator
Cordell Big O
Creek Chub Pikie

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 09:06
by Steve Le maitre
davelumb wrote:
I can't come up with five crankbaits that aren't minnowbaits or flat-sided minnows!

Trolling, the only ones I ended up taking with me were the first three as I always had plenty of Squirrelly Burts with me. :laughs: :

9" Ernie
Deep Invader
Mann's Magnum Stretch 30+ (or other depth rating depending on venue)
Jointed Grandma

I've used lots of others but they were all much of a muchness.


Casting, prefer twitching minnows like the Bomber really. I can't think of any big pike I've caught casting cranks - although I can remember one which turned away at the edge and another that fell off. :hissy:

Ernie/Li'l Ernie
Magna Strike Equalizer
Magna Strike Predator
Cordell Big O
Creek Chub Pikie
Dave I agree, some are Minnows and not technically Cranks, to me if the line tie is on the lip it's a Crank but a list would get very complicated if we did that, just imagine all the categories that we'd have. The jointed Grandma is the best jointed bait of its size - period ! What you doing with that Manns thing, um maybe time to shake the dust off mine.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 09:12
by davelumb
The Mann's baits get down to where they say they will and have a nice slim profile for (I think) better hooking. Forgot to mention, the 9" Erines are the originals before the 'improved' design with the clear lip. :wink:

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 09:21
by Steve Le maitre
davelumb wrote:
The Mann's baits get down to where they say they will and have a nice slim profile for (I think) better hooking. Forgot to mention, the 9" Erines are the originals before the 'improved' design with the clear lip. :wink:
Shame they changed the lip angle on the Ernie, you’re right you got a better action on the early ones but with their opaque plastic body and lip the fools had no option but to paint the lip as well :hissy:

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 10:28
by royboy
Steve Le maitre wrote:
Very interesting Pat you placed the 8” Hooker on here and rate it so highly, more so is that you have the 8” Jake here ! - the 8” Jake ! :shrug:
Yes the Ernie is unique and pretty much bombproof, it’s also hard to get one snagged up solid - but top 5 ! What special things are you doing with it Pat ?
I still can’t get over the 8” Jake though :eek:
Thanks for those Pat, soon when we run out we can do another top 5 :boing:
ps At the start I did say they could be your favourite and not necessarily “great” catchers so that explains the 8” Jake thing !
[/quote]

Steve ,
the Hooker is up there not for the amount of fish it takes , but its nearly always a good fish when it does catch !
Also on one particular day in winter I whitewashed my boating partne 7-0 with it , which doesn`t happen too often ! 7 doubles including 2 x 20`s .... :grin:

8" Jakes , because they will almost always get all sizes of fish , and I`ve had a 20lb pike and a 10lb Ferox on the same day with one .
Also had my lough PB with one .

Surprisingly I cannot get a bite on a DR , whats that about ??? Only ever had one fish (yeah that`s a 1! ) , and that was on a jointed knockoff copy!

But I have had this conversation with various guys over the years and sometimes even waters on the same system have different preferences. :scratch:

Rgds , Pat

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 12:10
by andrew_nagel
I fished a water for 4 seasons and had only one fish to a DR. Other cranks did very well there, especially the Legend Jnr running at a similar depth. I moved on to the next water down on the system, where the DR accounted for a lot of good fish. I just happily scratched my head.
The 8" Jake is a favourite of mine fished very slow on leadcore when the fish are lying up during a cold front. These days are often 1 fish days, but it's usually a fish worth getting out of bed for. The Legend Sunny is another lure that fishes really well in this manner. Both have very pronounced rolling actions, but with the very slow speed this is reduced and it just seems to work.
Steve... it is the 7" Molly that I use most. Mine are hammered. The action is subtle and it stays stable when fished fast. Fast puts it in front of more fish, and subtle catches clear water pike in all moods.
I'm a fan of the both the early and modified 9" Ernies. I assume the change came about to make them remain stable at the speeds musky anglers troll? The early ones are an a**e to tune as the the window of 'running true' is a very fine one. The modified ones are quicker to tune, and I haven't noticed a difference in catch rate.
Never used a jointed Granny but might give one a whirl now.
Magnum Hellcats are a soft spot of mine. After catching Chico syndrome I appear to have crossed over to the collector dark side.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 15:49
by andrew_nagel
Steve... how does the dive curve of a Triple D compare with a standard Depth Raider? I've never tried a Triple D.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 17:28
by Richard Grave
1 - rapala SSR
2 - nils master invincible 25 cm
3 - Magna strike predator
4- jointed sallow raider
5 - original Big S (if allowed)

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 18:18
by Steve Le maitre
andrew_nagel wrote:
Steve... how does the dive curve of a Triple D compare with a standard Depth Raider? I've never tried a Triple D.
If your tackle allows 18’ - 20’ running depth with a Depth Raider expect 14’ -16’ with the Triple D
The Triple D has a very slow rise and has a more parallel action and offers no protection from bottom contact unlike the DR with its nose down attitude.
Very nice action, solid foam and contains no rattles.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 18:21
by Steve Le maitre
Richard Grave wrote:
1 - rapala SSR
2 - nils master invincible 25 cm
3 - Magna strike predator
4- jointed sallow raider
5 - original Big S (if allowed)
I’m sure you’ll get away with the Big S just fine !

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 18:29
by Richard Grave
Amazed no one else has mentioned SSR absolute pike magnets, one of the only cranks I regularly consider throwing instead of a jerkbait or SP.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 18:54
by andrew_nagel
Richard Grave wrote:
Amazed no one else has mentioned SSR absolute pike magnets, one of the only cranks I regularly consider throwing instead of a jerkbait or SP.
Cracking lure Richard, but they need a coat of epoxy or they get chewed up quickly.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 19:04
by andrew_nagel
Steve Le maitre wrote:
andrew_nagel wrote:
Steve... how does the dive curve of a Triple D compare with a standard Depth Raider? I've never tried a Triple D.
If your tackle allows 18’ - 20’ running depth with a Depth Raider expect 14’ -16’ with the Triple D
The Triple D has a very slow rise and has a more parallel action and offers no protection from bottom contact unlike the DR with its nose down attitude.
Very nice action, solid foam and contains no rattles.
I'll find one and give it a whirl - thanks. I have a few depth raiders without rattles. They were a Musky Shop 'exclusive' way back.

Re: Your top 5 Cranks

Posted: Thu Jun 13 2019 20:32
by Slug
-Depth Raider
-Super Shad Rap
-Squirrelly Jake (ok a Hybrid, but still a crank in my book)
-Ernie/Lil Ernie
-A small crankbait that was in the fox predator range I can’t remember what it was called and the writings well gone as it’s so chewed! I think maybe called warrior? One of my banker lures believe it or not! Think it’s the Extreme body roll on pause that does it but I can’t remember if it did this before I took the original hooks off.

There’s some lures in this thread in my collection that I’m going to have to get wet more often!