Retro

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Retro

Post by Chris Hammond »

Given the monumental impact the Bulldawg had when first it became popular over here surely now that it has mostly spent at least a decade out of vogue it would be a killer lure?

Couldn't the same idea be leveled at any number of lures, baits and tactics in angling as well?

My reasoning is that there are now specimen fish of all kinds that have arrived from generations of fish that have had little or no exposure to such things as the Bulldawg, Flying Condom or super Sandras etc.

My incentive for posing these questions is a couple of buckets of lures barely used since their purchase a decade or more back and a rekindled interest in this aspect of my fishing. :smile:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Retro

Post by alan behenna »

You can be assured that the ol' Bulldawg has never gone out of vogue for good numbers of serious Pikers Chris.

For example they always have interest here when in the "For Sale" section.

Your point is a good one though............I catch on lures that went out of production donkeys ago.

:thumbs:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 06 2019 18:19 -
Given the monumental impact the Bulldawg had when first it became popular over here surely now that it has mostly spent at least a decade out of vogue it would be a killer lure?

Couldn't the same idea be leveled at any number of lures, baits and tactics in angling as well?

My reasoning is that there are now specimen fish of all kinds that have arrived from generations of fish that have had little or no exposure to such things as the Bulldawg, Flying Condom or super Sandras etc.

My incentive for posing these questions is a couple of buckets of lures barely used since their purchase a decade or more back and a rekindled interest in this aspect of my fishing. :smile:
Lots of lure styles/techniques which have fallen out of favour Chris, which will still catch as many fish now as they did back then....twitching minnowbaits - you rarely hear of anyone using that method now but it`s a killer in shallow water. Spoons - another very underused bait style these days which still work. Wobbled deadbaits - another method you rarely read about these days. That`s just off the top of my head, I could probably list a load more after giving it some thought.Lures and methods fall out of favour more with anglers, than the fish themselves :thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

alan behenna wrote: Sat Jul 06 2019 18:24 -
You can be assured that the ol' Bulldawg has never gone out of vogue for good numbers of serious Pikers Chris.

For example they always have interest here when in the "For Sale" section.

Your point is a good one though............I catch on lures that went out of production donkeys ago.

:thumbs:
Yes I don't doubt that for a minute Alan, but the time when every man and his dog were throwing Dawgs about definitely has passed and other lures, baits and tactics too. The fish countrywide aren't exposed to the popular angling choices to the level they were while they were in vogue. that's my point really. A few clued up bods like yourself and other switched on anglers might maintain their use but I can think of numbers of waters where they definitely won't get saturated exposure to, for instance, Bulldawgs -and my preferred option the Springdawg.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Sat Jul 06 2019 18:36 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 06 2019 18:19 -

Lots of lure styles/techniques which have fallen out of favour Chris, which will still catch as many fish now as they did back then....twitching minnowbaits - you rarely hear of anyone using that method now but it`s a killer in shallow water. Spoons - another very underused bait style these days which still work. Wobbled deadbaits - another method you rarely read about these days. That`s just off the top of my head, I could probably list a load more after giving it some thought.Lures and methods fall out of favour more with anglers, than the fish themselves :thumbs:
Exactly Mark. :thumbs:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Everyone and their auntie are lobbing soft swimbaits around. I still clean up on crankbaits. On the waters I fish I rarely meet another lure boat out after pike with crankbaits.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

andrew_nagel wrote: Sat Jul 06 2019 20:48 -
Everyone and their auntie are lobbing soft swimbaits around. I still clean up on crankbaits. On the waters I fish I rarely meet another lure boat out after pike with crankbaits.
Luckily for me Andrew, from the limited time I've taken to throw them over the years, I've fared so poorly with lures for pike that none of the lures in my buckets get neglected in preference to another, whether crankbaits, soft plastics, spoons or hybrids. :grin: