Single lure hooks

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Single lure hooks

Post by Admau1 »

Hi all, what your thoughts on replacing trebles with singles on lures ?
Thanks
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Re: Single lure hooks

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I use mustad kajiu’s on my bass lures but I’m yet to change any of my pike lures to singles yet !
But if I’m honest, I use jelly shads, paddle and curly tails, with either jig head singles or weedless set up so its only the bigger fox or SG lures I’ve got that have trebles on.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

With hardbaits, the hook up ratio will drop dramatically with singles. If you want more fish friendly lures and easy unhooking, try fishing just one treble at the back of the lure (possibly with a bit of tungsten putty on the split ring of the belly hook if it upsets the balance). It works very well on lures of 4" or less.
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sun Sep 15 2019 21:13 -
With hardbaits, the hook up ratio will drop dramatically with singles. If you want more fish friendly lures and easy unhooking, try fishing just one treble at the back of the lure (possibly with a bit of tungsten putty on the split ring of the belly hook if it upsets the balance). It works very well on lures of 4" or less.
:thumbs:
Andy Sewell
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Single J hooks - I've found are not a problem providing its on a breakaway rig, the hook is big enough and positioned where the fish grabs the lure, but they are still not as consistant as a treble.

Circles - Ive tried all manner of rigging methods to try and get circles to work on hard lures, breakaway systems, large and small hooks, you name it Ive given it a go, all without any consistency. Change to a circle rigged fly and its happy days.

Sometimes they will grab and release a hard lure in milliseconds, when they are doing that to me I would rather be gardening.
Last edited by Mike J on Mon Sep 16 2019 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Mike J wrote: Mon Sep 16 2019 08:31 -
Single J hooks - I've found are not a problem providing its on a breakaway rig, the hook is big enough and positioned where the fish grabs the lure, but they are still not a consistant as a treble.

Circles - Ive tried all manner of rigging methods to try and get circles to work on hard lures, breakaway systems, large and small hooks, you name it Ive given it a go, all without any consistency. Change to a circle rigged fly and its happy days.

Sometimes they will grab and release a hard lure in milliseconds, when they are doing that to me I would rather be gardening.

Agreed Mike and I am no gardener, very frustrating.

Will.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I've used them on cut plugs for the ferox and they hooked up well enough. A few people I know have experimented with them and had concerns about the single hook tearing the mouth more than a treble. The thought being a treble anchored the hook and has little movement unlike the single.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Admau1 wrote: Sun Sep 15 2019 09:50 -
Hi all, what your thoughts on replacing trebles with singles on lures ?
Thanks
Don't do it. Nothing to be gained by it and your hook-up rate will drop lower than whale sh1t.
Piking Plonker