Westin soft lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
micky dolan
Barbel
Barbel

Westin soft lures

Post by micky dolan »

Bought 4 of the soft Hypo Teez Blade lures .
Just a heads up about storage , they react badly to other lures and some lure containers turned into a jelly mush.

Sent them to Westin direct in Denmark who have advised that this will happen as a certain rubber is used to keep them supple .
Westins are replacing them all :thumbs: , good quality lures but need to take care where you keep them.

Spoke on here previously has something to do with Plasticites ! :eek: :scratch: :shrug:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Westin soft lures

Post by Monts »

Not only Westin, but these little Norris lures are a sod too.

I stuck them on top of a couple of Rapala boxes, after a session for Perch with a view to doing a repair job after the Jacks had ripped them.

_20191016_194001.JPG
After two days I had to peel the things off. They bollocksed the top up good and proper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

Z-Man are also the same-when they touch any kinda plastic box they melt like that witch oot the Wizard of Oz.
:roll: :roll:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I'm assuming they're made from "Formula X", or something very similar. It's very stretchy and resistant to damage, but if that stuff comes into contact with plastisol baits it makes a hell of a mess.
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

gus666 wrote: Wed Oct 16 2019 20:33 -
Z-Man are also the same-when they touch any kinda plastic box they melt like that witch oot the Wizard of Oz.
I have had the same issue with Z-Man. The plastics can stretch a mile, take a real battering, however left in a warmish day in a plastic box and they just melt and stick to everything else.
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

J-P wrote: Wed Oct 16 2019 21:20 -
I have had the same issue with Z-Man. The plastics can stretch a mile, take a real battering, however left in a warmish day in a plastic box and they just melt and stick to everything else.
Aye and ye find out the hard way, eh? :roll:
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

gus666 wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 08:18 -
Yep, when in Korea last year fishing for Black Bass using TRDs. The guy on the boat then told me I should have put them in the cooler. Live and learn.
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Original boxes for Bill Lewis Rattle Traps react to everything! Cost me a fortune this closed season, having left them in a storage crate unlooked at for 6 months. Everything was gone, including the crate!
James Dobie.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I think most people learn the hard way with that stuff, Gus. I certainly did! I think it was Dunwright Lifelike Pike in my case, but it didn't half make a mess :no:

I've also had issues with the soft tails that some manufacturers put on hardbaits. FLT cranks and Savage stuff have both suffered melted tails through contact with plastisol. Mind you, they work just as well without the tail, which is only put there to look realistic to us and help sell the lure.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 11:25 -
I think most people learn the hard way with that stuff, Gus. I certainly did! I think it was Dunwright Lifelike Pike in my case, but it didn't half make a mess :no:

I've also had issues with the soft tails that some manufacturers put on hardbaits. FLT cranks and Savage stuff have both suffered melted tails through contact with plastisol. Mind you, they work just as well without the tail, which is only put there to look realistic to us and help sell the lure.
I never thought about the tails on hard lures Steve-I'll have to watch out for that!
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

J-P wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 09:57 -
Yep, when in Korea last year fishing for Black Bass using TRDs. The guy on the boat then told me I should have put them in the cooler. Live and learn.
I just keep my Z-Mans in the packet they came in J-P.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Stuff should be banned lol...I once sat a frog on top of a Led Zepp CD case and it melted right through it.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Dunwright Lifelike Pike .. I had 12" one hanging on a rack in the attic by the belly treble .
It wasn`t in contact with anything , but the tail stretched and stretched and eventually fell off just from gravity !!
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

gus666 wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 12:28 -
Try going to Korea, you may change your mind. The temperature is terrible for lures, old people and fat men. Luckily I only had to worry about the former, but working on the latter.

Just checked and online do say taking them out of the packet is a big mistake, one I have made. However keeping in a cooler in hot countries is strongly advised. So now being in the UK, that at least is one thing not to worry about, in our much cooler climate.
Last edited by J-P on Thu Oct 17 2019 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Haven’t had a problem with the Shad teez in savage and Plano boxes with other lures they seem ok are the hypo teez a different plastic?
To be honest I’ve had little trouble with soft plastics melting. Deformed tails well that’s a different story! My mates don’t seem to have a problem just chuck them in box any old shape. I have a nightmare almost put me off using them altogether now I just keep stocks low and buy to use.
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Slug wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 15:14 -
Haven’t had a problem with the Shad teez in savage and Plano boxes with other lures they seem ok are the hypo teez a different plastic?
To be honest I’ve had little trouble with soft plastics melting. Deformed tails well that’s a different story! My mates don’t seem to have a problem just chuck them in box any old shape. I have a nightmare almost put me off using them altogether now I just keep stocks low and buy to use.
Good to know as bought some Shad Teez for my trip next month. What do you think caused the issue with the deformed tails? Heat, being in contact with other plastics? Cheers.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

No the tails just seem to set in position if left in storage in boxes you can dip them in hot water to straighten them but it does make them softer afterwards. Just me I think! I find them frustrating ok if I hang them up but don’t have the space at moment when I move I’m going to make a storage cupboard to hang all my lures. Replicants and some others it doesn’t happen.
micky dolan
Barbel
Barbel

Post by micky dolan »

Have been speaking to Westin very helpful .
The chemical used is TPR Thermo Plastic Rubber .
There are warnings on the packaging .
Fair play to Westin's they are replacing the lures even though i have no receipt or remember where i had them from . :thumbs:
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

J-P wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 14:47 -
gus666 wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 12:28 -
Try going to Korea, you may change your mind. The temperature is terrible for lures, old people and fat men. Luckily I only had to worry about the former, but working on the latter.

Just checked and online do say taking them out of the packet is a big mistake, one I have made. However keeping in a cooler in hot countries is strongly advised. So now being in the UK, that at least is one thing not to worry about, in our much cooler climate.
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

micky dolan wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 18:38 -
Have been speaking to Westin very helpful .
The chemical used is TPR Thermo Plastic Rubber .
There are warnings on the packaging .
Fair play to Westin's they are replacing the lures even though i have no receipt or remember where i had them from . :thumbs:
Try switching the blades out for a bigger one as well. Get a cracking subsurface bait if you sticking a whacking great blade on there.
James Dobie.