Shimano baitcasters

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Shimano baitcasters

Post by Admau1 »

Hi all, could someone please explain the Shimano baitcaster sizes ?
200,300,400 and 70,150 :scratch: Are they the same size reels with different capacity spools ,or are they physically bigger / smaller ?
Curado k vs Tranx ,is the tranx 301 really worth a £100 more than curado K ?
Thanks in advance :thumbs:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Shimano baitcasters

Post by Steve Moore »

I've not used the Tranx, but I have the curado 301s which are larger, and have more line capacity than the 201. I rate the 301s very highly, with some basic maintenance they go on and on, I have two I use, and a new one as standby. ( not sure if they are still available)
For my medium lure fishing up to 50g I use Shimano caenan baitcasters, great reels for the money, think it was about £75.
Everything else I use the curado 301s.
V large lures up to 200g I use my trusty Abu 6501 c4, with c3 gears fitted.
I just like the blue colour of the c4s.
Yes the 300 are larger than the 200.

I have found over the years like most things, that the quality is on a downward spiral, that's why I tend to hang on to my older reels.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I use a pair of Calcutta 401Ds, very smooth reels. Edit - 100lb Spiderwire x 110m (or thereabouts).
I improved mine with a couple of extra bearings to replace the nylon bushes in the spindle and handles.

I also have a 6501 and know which Id take onto a desert island.
Last edited by Mike J on Tue Nov 19 2019 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

The curado k is a fantastic reel but has a pretty small line capacity when using heavier braids.
I can nearly empty the spool with 65lb braid on it.

The tranx 301 is designed for heavier braids and baits and holds much more line. It'll hold more 100lb braid than the curado k can hold 65lb.

I happily throw 120g jerks and softies with a curado k 201 loaded with 65lb.
Anything bigger I'll use other reels.

Sizing changes in the Shimano range from year to bloody year so unless you're comparing two reels from roughly the same period, they'll be bloody different.
Look for the line capacity to get an idea of size.
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Post by Admau1 »

Mike J wrote: Tue Nov 19 2019 13:54 -
I use a pair of Calcutta 401Ds, very smooth reels. Edit - 100lb Spiderwire x 110m (or thereabouts).
I improved mine with a couple of extra bearings to replace the nylon bushes in the spindle and handles.

What's the 201D like ??? Assuming you mean the calcutta ?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Admau1 wrote: Wed Nov 20 2019 16:34 -
Mike J wrote: Tue Nov 19 2019 13:54 -

What's the 201D like ??? Assuming you mean the calcutta ?

Yes, Calcutta
I exchanged PMs with a member who bought a 201 while he was working in the US, he said he thought it was too small for serious piking and planned to change it for the 401.
If you decide on a Calcutta ensure you buy a JDM model (I have a link).
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Jock Gordon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jock Gordon »

How is the 201d to small for serious piking?
giantlureguy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by giantlureguy »

keep in mind that the Americans like to use bigger lures and heavier braid than the average European, thus the use of size 300 and 400 reels. Size 200 reels are generally considered to be more suitable for lighter bass tackle.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

201k Curado is basically a more refined Tranx- 3 more bearings over saltwater bushes. Micro modular gears and a ported spool. Basically same dimensions/ line capacity but an ounce lighter, nicer and longer casting. 301 is a wee bit bigger but a lot heavier.
The Curado K is a great reel.
Cotswoldfisherman
Roach
Roach

Post by Cotswoldfisherman »

Obviously the higher the number the bigger the reel is going to be to hold the additional line. However, like with the Calcutta 300 and 400, the reels are almost identical except the 400 is wider to accommodate the larger spool. I have a Tranx 401 and from the picture online the 300 and 400 look to have the same body with the only difference being the spool. Other brands will vary and have totally different body sizes for each number or be smart like Shimano.

General consensus for pike is 200 or more, I have the Calcutta and Tranx in a 400 because of the 80lb suffix I use.

Is the Tranx worth £100 more? I can't say as I've never used the Curado, it all depends on what it's going to be used for but it will be a great reel regardless.
I fish.... Therefore I am.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Jock Gordon wrote: Thu Nov 21 2019 15:00 -
How is the 201d to small for serious piking?

Sorry just notice your question.
When Im next in contact I will ask him to reply.

Many reels can be upgraded by replacing the original bushes (some of which are designed to collapse under heavy load) with ball bearings at very little cost.
The Calcutta has slot head screws and these certainly need replacing with hex heads as the cast control requires their removal.

Im not a lover of bling or bright angler catching colours, give me matt black and Im more than happy,