Casting lures?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Casting lures?

Post by Chris Hammond »

You can see my selection of hard baits here. When I've used them for pike I have found some almost impossible to cast any sort of distance.

Given that technically (unless there's been a change and I missed it.) we're not supposed to troll under power on the rivers which would you regular lure anglers discount for casting among my collection? BTW the greater majority of my fishing is from the bank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Casting lures?

Post by Steve Dennington »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 18:21 -
You can see my selection of hard baits here. When I've used them for pike I have found some almost impossible to cast any sort of distance.

Given that technically (unless there's been a change and I missed it.) we're not supposed to troll under power on the rivers which would you regular lure anglers discount for casting among my collection? BTW the greater majority of my fishing is from the bank.
The jerkbaits (Slider and DGs) are the ones I'd bet would cast furthest out of those :thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I think they're all OK for casting Chris - although some of them won't cast far on a heavy outfit.

The Swim Whizz / Believers aren't great casters for their size and weight, but long casts aren't always needed. :wink:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

+1 regarding the believers. Especially the jointed ones. Some jointed lures tend to fold on the cast which can make them stall mid-air.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Never got on casting bulldogs, but more so the rod was undergunned, had more success on springdogs, but tired of lures after a day too many thrashing the water in the midst of winter with nothing to show for it.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 18:35 -

The jerkbaits (Slider and DGs) are the ones I'd bet would cast furthest out of those :thumbs:
I don't know which one is a Slider Steve tbh. :red:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

John Milford wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 19:25 -
I think they're all OK for casting Chris - although some of them won't cast far on a heavy outfit.

The Swim Whizz / Believers aren't great casters for their size and weight, but long casts aren't always needed. :wink:
The green one caught my one and only double figure TW fish John. They are a bit erratic but it varies cast to cast. One cast will catch air like a parachute and dump the lure a few yards another sees it take a straight path and a reasonable distance.

There are a few there that I just randomly chose from Rollies back when I bought most of them. They've never caught me a thing! The Hooker Shads and the big blue thing.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

andrew_nagel wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 19:42 -
+1 regarding the believers. Especially the jointed ones. Some jointed lures tend to fold on the cast which can make them stall mid-air.
Yes and that's one of the reasons my multipliers tend to sit on the shelf Andrew.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 20:22 -
Never got on casting bulldogs, but more so the rod was undergunned, had more success on springdogs, but tired of lures after a day too many thrashing the water in the midst of winter with nothing to show for it.
Yeah the Mag Dawg is the worst on the board!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

That one :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Top row, tenth and eleventh from the right.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 20:57 -
There are a few there that I just randomly chose from Rollies back when I bought most of them. They've never caught me a thing! The Hooker Shads...
If you want to part with the Hooker Shads I'd be interested in them. Maybe you're after something as a swap, or cash? Just a thought.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

andrew_nagel wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 22:41 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 20:57 -
There are a few there that I just randomly chose from Rollies back when I bought most of them. They've never caught me a thing! The Hooker Shads...
If you want to part with the Hooker Shads I'd be interested in them. Maybe you're after something as a swap, or cash? Just a thought.
To be honest Andrew it's become a matter of pride. I will get a hit on one one of these days. They run quite deep though from memory?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Ps any idea what the big blue coloured jointed one next to them is? I seem to remember the letter M but could be thinking of something else?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 22:06 -
Top row, tenth and eleventh from the right.
Ok got it cheers Dave.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

The Bomber Long A's cast pretty well but I can't get a hit on them other than a jack once while trolling them.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 22:55 -
The Bomber Long A's cast pretty well but I can't get a hit on them other than a jack once while trolling them.
They work best cast and twitched IME. :thumbs:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 22:50 -
Ps any idea what the big blue coloured jointed one next to them is? I seem to remember the letter M but could be thinking of something else?
It's a Lindy Big M. You ought be be careful with those. I can't remember if it's all of them or just the earlier ones, but the lie tie is on the lip, and although the lip looks to be integrally moulded as part of the entire lure, it's not. It's just glued to the body and they break off easily leaving the lure body and hooks in the pike, and the lip on the end of your leader.

The hookers are well made though - the line tie wire extends through the lure body to the rear treble. No problems with those.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

davelumb wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 22:58 -
Yep, one of the best twitching lures, a deadly method in clear water.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

andrew_nagel wrote: Sat Apr 25 2020 00:10 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Apr 24 2020 22:50 -
It's a Lindy Big M. You ought be be careful with those. I can't remember if it's all of them or just the earlier ones, but the lie tie is on the lip, and although the lip looks to be integrally moulded as part of the entire lure, it's not. It's just glued to the body and they break off easily leaving the lure body and hooks in the pike, and the lip on the end of your leader.

The hookers are well made though - the line tie wire extends through the lure body to the rear treble. No problems with those.
Just had a look at it and there's no way of seeing whether it is wired through. I will leave it on the wall.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Twitched? Is that basically fishing it as a jerk bait?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Apr 25 2020 10:26 -
Twitched? Is that basically fishing it as a jerk bait?
Pretty much. :thumbs:

Worked erratically with the rod tip, but you can put in bursts of straight retrieve too.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

American black bass fishermen usually refer to elongated minnows as 'jerk baits'.

A retrieve with plenty of rod tip action is overwhelmingly the most effective way of fishing them. :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

A creepin' Tom is one of the worst lures I can think of to cast any distance and into a head wind, no chance. The big paddes act as windbreaks. Shame, as do love catching pike on it... plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop :cheers:
Piking Plonker
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Apr 26 2020 19:23 -
A creepin' Tom is one of the worst lures I can think of to cast any distance and into a head wind, no chance. The big paddes act as windbreaks. Shame, as do love catching pike on it... plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop :cheers:
WTF is a Creepin' Tom Mark?

BTW you were in the boat with me when I caught a 16lb pike on a TW resevoir on the green Believer. 😉
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I'd go for the roach salmo jerkbait highlighted earlier cast miles in my experience. For max distance cr try a Dexter wedge type spoon or maybe a large lipless crank bait such as a rat-l-trap
AnglingSpiders
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by AnglingSpiders »

When casting for distance in Canada, we use Len Thompson spoons. While I prefer the #2 size (right), the #4 is the heaviest they make (left - the blade of the spoon is 12.5 cm long).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sz3Ize ... sp=sharing