FAO Mark Houghton

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

FAO Mark Houghton

Post by Chris Hammond »

Help! Do you run a lure surgery?

I caught the tail treble of my go to chub lure on my car seat and managed to pull it clean out of the lure! I'm gutted and feel like Samson must have when he saw his short back and sides in the mirror! ☹

It's a little crank bait named (I think.) A Fat Willy, which I call my Goonie lure as it has already lost an eye in a previous skirmish.

I've searched high and low to find new ones for sale but cant find one anywhere.

Could it be rebuilt Steve Austin style?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Re: FAO Mark Houghton

Post by Steve Moore »

Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Moore wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 06:16 -

Yes the one I have is rainbow trout. As it says there, "out of stock". Cant find them anywhere. πŸ˜ͺ
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Think i might have one somewhere, dont think its rainbow trout though.
will have a look.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Moore wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 06:29 -
Think i might have one somewhere, dont think its rainbow trout though.
will have a look.
If you find one Steve I'll happily buy it. Or swap it for something else if you fancy it.

I'm off out shortly to try a few other Fox Rage chub sized lures a good friend gave to me yesterday. The "Rattlin Hornet and the imitation bugs (Funk Bugs) look perfect for the job.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Ps tbh Rainbow Trout would have been the last colour I would have chosen. Some good fellow sent it to me out of the blue and it sat for a couple of years unopened. I've never had a better chub lure though. Its bullet proof!
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Nothing worse than loosing or breaking a favourite lure when its catching and you have confidence in it. Have you tried a Manns baby -1, Storm Subwart or Bomber Square A Chris? For me these are all very good chub lures and are easier to get hold of.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I'm assuming that the back end of the lure has broken and the 8-shaped hook hanger has come out?

It could probably be epoxied back in with a good slow cure resin (not one of the 5 minute ones).
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

You could buy a couple of the ones Steve linked you to and ask Mark to replicate the paint work. I assume it will be easier for Mark to re-colour a new one that fix a broken one. I've bought lures in the past and had them sent directly to Mark for painting.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

andrew_nagel wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 10:39 -
You could buy a couple of the ones Steve linked you to and ask Mark to replicate the paint work. I assume it will be easier for Mark to re-colour a new one that fix a broken one. I've bought lures in the past and had them sent directly to Mark for painting.

Absolutely.............and a fine job Mark does on re-patterning them too.

:thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

If it had already lost an eye and the tail treble hanger pulled out without straigtening the little treble, perhaps it's not as 'bomb proof' as you thought Chris? :shrug:

Personally, I'd retire it permanently.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

My thought exactly John. Heaven forbid it came out with a fish on it.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

They were all out of stock
That Perkins !!! πŸ˜‚
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Iain Gillies wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 08:13 -
Nothing worse than loosing or breaking a favourite lure when its catching and you have confidence in it. Have you tried a Manns baby -1, Storm Subwart or Bomber Square A Chris? For me these are all very good chub lures and are easier to get hold of.
Thanks Iain I'll see if I can find those online.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 09:31 -
I'm assuming that the back end of the lure has broken and the 8-shaped hook hanger has come out?

It could probably be epoxied back in with a good slow cure resin (not one of the 5 minute ones).
Yes that sounds about right but I assumed the little hanger would be wired through by the harness inside?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

andrew_nagel wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 10:39 -
If I could buy them in any colour I'd not be looking to repair this one Andrew. As I said, I've tried looking all over the web including over the pond. Nobody has any. Incidentally I only mentioned the colour in passing. I dont think it matters a jot in this instance. I'd be chuffed with any colour if I could find one.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

John Milford wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 11:27 -
If it had already lost an eye and the tail treble hanger pulled out without straigtening the little treble, perhaps it's not as 'bomb proof' as you thought Chris? :shrug:

Personally, I'd retire it permanently.
No John, I appreciate what you're saying but that isnt a fair call. I got hold of it with forceps and gave it a hell of a yank. I didnt know the tail treble had got a point in too and was trying to free the top treble so wasnt expecting to put any pressure on the tailhook. I dont think there's a lure of that size in existence that wouldnt have broke under the pressure. I've got no loyalty to any maker but them's the facts. :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 17:03 -

Yes that sounds about right but I assumed the little hanger would be wired through by the harness inside?
That sort of loop is pretty standard for moulded lures, Chris. If it's pulled out then the chances are the moulding which held it in place has bust. You could possibly glue it back (but not trust it to hold) adding a' safety harness' of light wire from the tail hook to the belly eye.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 17:38 -

That sort of loop is pretty standard for moulded lures, Chris. If it's pulled out then the chances are the moulding which held it in place has bust. You could possibly glue it back (but not trust it to hold) adding a' safety harness' of light wire from the tail hook to the belly eye.
Never mind Dave. I'll just have to catch them on something else. :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 17:45 -

Lots of alternatives that not-too-fussy fish will try to eat.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 17:46 -
Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 17:45 -

Lots of alternatives that not-too-fussy fish will try to eat.
Yes been trying a few today. I walked a couple of fruitless miles and worked my nuts off for this. I was well pleased with it though. It was the biggest in a shoal of perhaps half a dozen and I had been casting at it for several minutes and probably tweny or thirty casts. It was repeatedly lane changing in amongst streamer weed so I had a constantly changing window of perhaps two square feet to try and drop the 40mm lure into, in front of the biggest one, and get maybe a metre of retreive in before snatching some of the weed. I got the little blighter eventually. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Not a bad idea, Dave. Here's a link showing how it could be done, Chris http://www.ericweight.co.uk/artlite/rap ... ancer.html
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20 2020 22:49 -

Not a bad idea, Dave. Here's a link showing how it could be done, Chris http://www.ericweight.co.uk/artlite/rap ... ancer.html
That could be what was lurking in my brain to come up with the idea!
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I'm still looking Chris. Its here somewhere
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

I have some of those here somewhere.

don't get your hopes up though as I have no idea where they are!
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Sorry Chris not been online much so didnt see this.....should be fixable - I can make a longer tail hanger loop and pin it through the body to secure it, then seal it all up. Should be as strong (or stronger ) than the original.....drop me a pm if you want to send it up :thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mark_Houghton wrote: ↑Fri Jun 26 2020 00:16 -

Sorry Chris not been online much so didnt see this.....should be fixable - I can make a longer tail hanger loop and pin it through the body to secure it, then seal it all up. Should be as strong (or stronger ) than the original.....drop me a pm if you want to send it up :thumbs:
Great stuff cheers Mark. I'll sort it out when I get home from work. :thumbs:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I'm still looking chris.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Moore wrote: ↑Fri Jun 26 2020 10:46 -
I'm still looking chris.
Cheers Steve much appreciated.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

spincityfan wrote: ↑Sun Jun 21 2020 10:37 -
I have some of those here somewhere.

don't get your hopes up though as I have no idea where they are!
Ok mate no worries. :thumbs: