Leaders

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Leaders

Post by Chris Hammond »

I don't want an up and down row about it, I appreciate some people will disagree with me, but if I think there's little chance of engaging with a pike I am happiest using flouro or mono leaders for my perch and chub fishing. That said, I've caught chub several times this season already using wire so if I feel there's a fair chance of picking up a pike I will grudgingly use a wire trace.

I do find though that some of the lightest lures have their action hampered by a wire trace. That is possibly because I'm using 20lb Drennan wire. A leftover from zed fishing. So my question is what wire would you use to fish very small or very light lures when targeting perch and chub? I'm interested in sourcing a reliable and effective wire for that purpose and would appreciate any reccomendations.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Leaders

Post by Steve Le maitre »

How about Titanium 7 strand In 20 lb, light as a feather and as thin as Mo Farah.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Fri Jul 03 2020 20:53 -
How about Titanium 7 strand In 20 lb, light as a feather and as thin as Mo Farah.
I bought some standard 7 strand 20lb wire today funnily enough Steve but I wondered if there were other options out there. Cheers for the heads up. I'll take a look online.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I think I use 49 strand knotable steel in a light strain when perching. But it's a long time since I made any!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I use Rio Wire Bite in 7lb which is identical to AFW 49strand nylon coated and knots equally as well.
I also use an Italian made single strand, its about as thin as 4lb mono, rated 30lb and brown in colour, Ive had mid 20's on it while spinning for Sea Trout,

With the single strand I form a 1/2" open loop to hold the lure and Albright knot the doubled wire to the reel line, a system that is ultra light and eliminates all hardware. In the past have sent samples to members, perhaps they could comment.

:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

I like the sound of that Mike! (The Italian stuff) Can you point me towards a source please?
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I use Drenan soft strand in 10lb when I’m chucking lures for Perch and Chub.
It’s thin as you like, easy knotable and I’ve landed pike up to 22lb on it (probably a fluke :laughs: )
It’s not the most robust, 1 or 2 fish and it kinks like a bigger, but I just have 5 or 6 traces ready made for quick changes.

I almost dumped my wire trace the other day when fishing a certain back water. I’ve been chasing the chub there For a couple seasons and Just felt a fluoro leader may give me the edge on them over wire. I’d never hooked or even seen a pike around there so thought I’d be safe.
Anyway, had a few chub but also had a 4lb jack and one of about 9lb not long after.
I’ll defo be keeping my wire on now :thumbs:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 09:29 -
I like the sound of that Mike! (The Italian stuff) Can you point me towards a source please?

Here you are Chris.

Corrections;
The wire is the same diameter as 8lb Maxima mono (not 4lb as posted) and measures 0.29mm (by micrometer).
It is made in the US not Italy but by a company with an Italian name.

As you can see it was sold by weight, bought from where I cannot remember but its was certainly pre 1980 US import.
The wire is monel an alloy of nickel, it does not corrode under normal use and the shine soon goes when used.

Wire and 8lb mono alongside
IMG_2076.JPG
Wire pack
IMG_2077.JPG
:handshake:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

I use the esox green pike wire in 12lb. It is 0.34mm diameter.
No issues with it. Have had fish to 17b on it.
Marvin Farrell
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

6lb titanium for the lightest of light lures, 12lb for the heavier end of ultralight fishing.

Everything can be sourced here, a little business run by a lure angler.

https://www.cahiranitinol.co.uk/product/nitinol
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 10:40 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 09:29 -

Here you are Chris.

Corrections;
The wire is the same diameter as 8lb Maxima mono (not 4lb as posted) and measures 0.29mm (by micrometer).
It is made in the US not Italy but by a company with an Italian name.

As you can see it was sold by weight, bought from where I cannot remember but its was certainly pre 1980 US import.
The wire is monel an alloy of nickel, it does not corrode under normal use and the shine soon goes when used.

Wire and 8lb mono alongside
IMG_2076.JPG

Wire pack
IMG_2077.JPG

:handshake:
Cheers Mike I'll keep it in mind. Much appreciated
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Daniel wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 17:47 -
6lb titanium for the lightest of light lures, 12lb for the heavier end of ultralight fishing.

Ive ordered some of the 6lb you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 09:59 -
It’s thin as you like, easy knotable and I’ve landed pike up to 22lb on it (probably a fluke :laughs: )
It’s not the most robust, 1 or 2 fish and it kinks like a bigger, but I just have 5 or 6 traces ready made for quick changes.

I almost dumped my wire trace the other day when fishing a certain back water. I’ve been chasing the chub there For a couple seasons and Just felt a fluoro leader may give me the edge on them over wire. I’d never hooked or even seen a pike around there so thought I’d be safe.
Anyway, had a few chub but also had a 4lb jack and one of about 9lb not long after.
I used to use Soft Strand for my piking but cant be bothered regarding about annealing it. I swear it didn't do that unraveling when it was first released.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Does the rigid'ness of titanium cause issues for very light lures like this compared to say the drennan green stuff where presentation and action is concerned ?

Sorry just a brain fart there
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Andrew Croft wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 21:03 -

Does the rigid'ness of titanium cause issues for very light lures like this compared to say the drennan green stuff where presentation and action is concerned ?

I use it with cranks of just 2g and not had any issues.
It's really not that stiff because it's so fine.

Clips have far more of an effect on action imo.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Daniel wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 21:27 -
Andrew Croft wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 21:03 -

I use it with cranks of just 2g and not had any issues.
It's really not that stiff because it's so fine.

Clips have far more of an effect on action imo.
Interesting. Never seen it in the strength you guys are talking about so not got much to go on. Cheers
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 20:52 -
Flipflopjoe wrote: Sat Jul 04 2020 09:59 -

I used to use Soft Strand for my piking but cant be bothered regarding about annealing it. I swear it didn't do that unraveling when it was first released.
I only use it in 10lb For my perch/chub fishing so can’t comment on heavier versions but I haven’t had any issues with it.
I use SG 49 raw In 50lb for my piking.
Joe Birch
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

I use AFW 7 strand ti in 15lb...it crimps AND knots well.
It lasts and lasts BUT it still isn't as low diameter as some of the old school Drennan wires in 15lb....
It's a trade off between presentation and durability/ longevity.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

I got the 6lb titanium through the post this morning. It looks perfect! How do you use it? Crimps or twisting?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Jul 10 2020 10:32 -

I got the 6lb titanium through the post this morning. It looks perfect! How do you use it? Crimps or twisting?

Half blood knot but just use two turns.
Looks crap, rock solid, never failed me and landed twenties just fine.
IMG_20200710_143351772.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Daniel wrote: Fri Jul 10 2020 14:36 -

How does this hold up in terms of curling and kinking after catching (fish and trees :red: )
Joe Birch
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Fri Jul 10 2020 15:47 -

How does this hold up in terms of curling and kinking after catching (fish and trees :red: )
It can be curled but it's a bloody rarity. I don't bother carrying made up leaders anymore, I pretty much expect it to last until I lose it in a snag.

I can't remember the last time one got kinked but if it does change it immediately, single strand Ti will fail if kinked.

I think I used half a dozen leaders for the whole of last season, all were lost in snags, no failures.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Thanks Daniel. A HB knot is just around itself twice and through the loop right? In other words without 'tucking'?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Jul 10 2020 18:17 -

Thanks Daniel. A HB knot is just around itself twice and through the loop right? In other words without 'tucking'?
That's it.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Daniel wrote: Fri Jul 10 2020 18:23 -

That's it.
:thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

That's it.
How do you make your trace? Do you use a clip and swivel?
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

For small lures try the smallest gemini genie clips or the smallest breakaway mini link!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 11 2020 17:32 -

That's it.
Clip at one end, swivel at the other. The little toad is 50mm for scale.
IMG_20200711_185146982.jpg
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Daniel wrote: Sat Jul 11 2020 18:53 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 11 2020 17:32 -

That's it.
Clip at one end, swivel at the other. The little toad is 50mm for scale.

IMG_20200711_185146982.jpg
Thanks just about to tie a few up. :thumbs: