Hooks for soft lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
brianNN14
Stickleback
Stickleback

Hooks for soft lures

Post by brianNN14 »

Is there such a thing as a guide to the hook size / lure length for soft lures (shads, paddle tails, etc.)?
Is the gape generally consistent for specific hook sizes?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Hooks for soft lures

Post by Mike J »

brianNN14 wrote: Wed Aug 26 2020 23:06 -
Is there such a thing as a guide to the hook size / lure length for soft lures (shads, paddle tails, etc.)?

I know of no guide available, it was just trial and error when they first arrived and probably still is.
For shads I use something to carry the casting load like a corkscrew or smallish hook and a stinger hook of the Twintex design on a short length of wire. An alternative is a small treble with one point bent backwards.
For worm/stick baits I use the specially designed worm hooks that have a cranked shank.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

brianNN14 wrote: Wed Aug 26 2020 23:06 -
I've always thought the general rule for fish shaped lures like shads is 2" shad = 2/0 jig head , 3" shad =3/0 jig head etc.I don't do loads of lure fishing but I've used this way of matching up jig heads to shads for a good few years.Obviously slimmer lures would need a bit of adjustment in hook sizing
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

It's not a million miles away....some shads require a hook size bigger if they have a deeper profile but it's a good rule of thumb.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I was using this guide from an eBay store when I was trying to suss out what size weedless hooks I needed before the start of the river season. You just have to measure Where you want it to go in and out of your lure and chose the size to match.
Dunno if it’ll help or whether there is a normal jig head version ?!?
4A80E7F1-19D3-43A4-9F6A-3382C727C1E5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Thu Aug 27 2020 23:24 -
I was using this guide from an eBay store when I was trying to suss out what size weedless hooks I needed before the start of the river season. You just have to measure Where you want it to go in and out of your lure and chose the size to match.

Those are 'worm' hooks.
The belly in the hook shank is formed to act like a keel and keep the bait level with the hook point uppermost.
Anglers wanting more weight would squeze on lead shot or folds of lead sheet but now hooks are available with a snake lead moulded to the belly of the hook.
Ive used them for Black Bass but stopped using them in our waters because the hook can sometimes go right through the top of a soft mouth of some fish which doesn't happen with bass.

In Jens Bursell's recent book Pike Fever, probably most up to date pike angling book available, there are many references to shad fishing, probably because their use is more popular in Europe.
Most feature a fixed (corkscrew style) head weight and stinger/release hook attached as my previous post above.

Here are links to what your seeking
https://releaserigshop.com/
https://teamrhinooutdoors.com/collectio ... -in-weight

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Mike J wrote: Fri Aug 28 2020 09:15 -
Flipflopjoe wrote: Thu Aug 27 2020 23:24 -

Those are 'worm' hooks.
The belly in the hook shank is formed to act like a keel and keep the bait level with the hook point uppermost.
Anglers wanting more weight would squeze on lead shot or folds of lead sheet but now hooks are available with a snake lead moulded to the belly of the hook.
Ive used them for Black Bass but stopped using them in our waters because the hook can sometimes go right through the top of a soft mouth of some fish which doesn't happen with bass.

In Jens Bursell's recent book Pike Fever, probably most up to date pike angling book available, there are many references to shad fishing, probably because their use is more popular in Europe.
Most feature a fixed (corkscrew style) head weight and stinger/release hook attached as my previous post above.

Here are links to what your seeking
https://releaserigshop.com/
https://teamrhinooutdoors.com/collectio ... -in-weight

I use them with cheburashka weights and only in the smaller sizes with small softs Like critter baits up to about 6cm For perch and chub. You can actually buy them with lead heads already on them aswell. It’s not my favourite way of fishing tbh, I prefer regular jig heads in my small softs even if it does mean picking weed off after most casts.

I regularly use big shads when lure fishing and that’s my go to set up !
Screw in jig head and then a stinger set up. Stingers definitely aid hook ups imho.
I’ve tied a few of Jen Bursell‘S “release rigs” for some of my lures. It’s lot of work for what I feel is not much more gain. Although he does say you only benefit on lures over 100g, which I don’t chuck !!!
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”