SAVAGE GEAR XLNT 3

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

SAVAGE GEAR XLNT 3

Post by Ratty46 »

Hey all

I have an original XLNT Bushwhacker 15-50g, i absolutely love this rod, had some great fish on it.
i mainly use it for lured my multi set up doesnt like, ie small line thru's, lighter lures, plus in winter i dont like using multis as i end up with a freezing cold wet hand!

has anyone used the new version, the XLNT 3? thinking about the 20-60gr, i need another FS set up, slightly heavier.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Re: SAVAGE GEAR XLNT 3

Post by fossil-fish »

I have savage Gear XLNTs, XLNT2s and XLNT3s. To be absolutely honest the older they are the more I like them. There is not a whole pile of difference between the XLNT and the XLNT2 they just lost the Fuji fittings and gained the CC guide system. The XLNT3s are very different rods. Much faster actions that bend much higher in the blank. Not the sort of rods I like for pike. I see now they are hinting at a 4th generation. Don't think the XLNT3 will be remembered as a high point. I have spent far to much money over the years upgrading lure rods and then just continuing to use my old ones. :roll:
Michael Bruton
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

fossil-fish wrote: Thu Dec 03 2020 16:48 -
I have savage Gear XLNTs, XLNT2s and XLNT3s. To be absolutely honest the older they are the more I like them. There is not a whole pile of difference between the XLNT and the XLNT2 they just lost the Fuji fittings and gained the CC guide system. The XLNT3s are very different rods. Much faster actions that bend much higher in the blank. Not the sort of rods I like for pike. I see now they are hinting at a 4th generation. Don't think the XLNT3 will be remembered as a high point. I have spent far to much money over the years upgrading lure rods and then just continuing to use my old ones. :roll:
The xlnt3 is not as much of an all-rounder as the first two. It's designed for fishing soft plastics which is how most new lure anglers fish almost exclusively, hence the faster action.
Because of the faster action it's a better rod for casting and transmitting vibration to your hand, on the downside, it's not as much fun to play fish on, especially if you like the more moderate action of the first two versions.
benelli
Roach
Roach

Post by benelli »

What about the black savage is that any good?
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

benelli wrote: Thu Dec 03 2020 21:23 -
I have one Black Savage rod but in much lighter casting weight. 7'5" 5-20g. I use it for perch and trout fishing. Another one of those rods I really like and use it in preference over newer more expensive ones.
Michael Bruton
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Daniel wrote: Thu Dec 03 2020 16:57 -
fossil-fish wrote: Thu Dec 03 2020 16:48 -
The xlnt3 is not as much of an all-rounder as the first two. It's designed for fishing soft plastics which is how most new lure anglers fish almost exclusively, hence the faster action.
Because of the faster action it's a better rod for casting and transmitting vibration to your hand, on the downside, it's not as much fun to play fish on, especially if you like the more moderate action of the first two versions.
the first XLNT has a great action, it just feels perfect, so comfortable to use, hard to find the right XLNT 2- how much diff does the CC make?,theres few about but not many, wasnt aware that the 3 has a diff action, thanks for the info
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

fossil-fish wrote: Fri Dec 04 2020 09:33 -
benelli wrote: Thu Dec 03 2020 21:23 -
I have one Black Savage rod but in much lighter casting weight. 7'5" 5-20g. I use it for perch and trout fishing. Another one of those rods I really like and use it in preference over newer more expensive ones.
i've got one of them too, i imagine it feels similar the XLNT 3 as its got a fast tippy action
Luka
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Luka »

I've used to have SG XLNT3 244cm / 12-45g. To be honest it was a really good rod, the feeling in hands, such a lightweight rod. Action was not that soft.. I had to sell it recently to get a new one ( Abu Garcia ) But I think I will get it again after some time. 10/10 rod
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

best savage gear rod for me was the bushwhacker dont know if they still do them.
ErikB
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ErikB »

i have the Bushwacker xlnt 15 -50gr. Great rod, fast action much stiffer than my Powercast 20 - 80gr. Used it a lot for spinnerbaits.
Recently i bought the SG Alpa monsterbait 60 - 120gr, wich is an absolute beast of a rod.
Most of my rods for lure fishing are Savage Gear rods, most of them are pretty fast action rods except for the ul-parabellum.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

ErikB wrote: Fri Feb 09 2024 15:55 -
i have the Bushwacker xlnt 15 -50gr. Great rod, fast action much stiffer than my Powercast 20 - 80gr. Used it a lot for spinnerbaits.
Recently i bought the SG Alpa monsterbait 60 - 120gr, wich is an absolute beast of a rod.
Most of my rods for lure fishing are Savage Gear rods, most of them are pretty fast action rods except for the ul-parabellum.
I have one of the Bushwhackers 15-50gr, my fave rod to use, doesn't cast big lures but its fine for 19cm 4plays, shads of similar size, fantastic rod to use, had some really good fish on mine and never felt under gunned