Crankbaits for long casts.

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Duce
Stickleback
Stickleback

Crankbaits for long casts.

Post by Duce »

Hi. I'm looking for recomendations for crankbaits that cast well and rise to the surface on the pause for use with a 60- 100g rod. I already have the SSR which I like but being light doesn't cast too far. I also have the shadow rap which casts better but doesn't really rise. Thanks for any advice.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Re: Crankbaits for long casts.

Post by JohnCopeman »

Westin Raw Bite......same kind of size as SSR but casts like a bullet.
Downside is iys very very noisy....if that's a downside or not is another topic.
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

I would look at minnow baits, the rebel wind cheater is a good large minnow bait which will cast a fair distance but it won't dive too deep and is more of a slow float if not suspending. Although it isn't what you have specifically asked for I have done OK on some big waters casting a 10 or 12cm Salmo Slider in both sinking and floating on a straight retrieve. The Strike Pro Johnny Vobbler may be worth a look as it is a Buster with a diving lip.
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Of the big minnow baits which cast OK and can dive with a float on the pause the Halco Lazer Pro and Storm Big Mac would suit but are quite rare. It may be worth try something like a lil' Ernie or a shallow invader just for something a bit different in your weight range.
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Also meant to say Nils Master Invincible are a great lure and I have caught well on them in smaller sizes but they do them up to 25cm. I have a couple of smaller Westin Jatte and have caught on them and they cast OK. I think that westin do a large sized one of them.
Duce
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Duce »

Thanks for your tips guys. I will check them out, sounds like what I am after. And yes you can't go far wrong with the salmo sliders, one of my favourites although not tried the floating version......yet 🤣
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Iain Gillies wrote: Sat Feb 06 2021 15:24 -
I would look at minnow baits, the rebel wind cheater is a good large minnow bait which will cast a fair distance but it won't dive too deep and is more of a slow float if not suspending. Although it isn't what you have specifically asked for I have done OK on some big waters casting a 10 or 12cm Salmo Slider in both sinking and floating on a straight retrieve. The Strike Pro Johnny Vobbler may be worth a look as it is a Buster with a diving lip.
The Buster II crank is more a Buster with a lip...they do a shallow one and a deeper diver with 3 line ties.
Westin do indeed do some really large Jatte.
Dave Greenwood did me some Lil Ernies. Made a cracking job of them too for not a lot of money.
pikin
Perch
Perch

Post by pikin »

Savage Gear Butch. Sorts out better fish as well
Paul Ikin
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Mark Houghton made me a few Ernie type lures which had a bigger lip for deep trolling. I've got a couple of Daves lures too and they have caught fish. The problem with bigger more profiled lures or jointed lures is that they don't tend to cast as well a d can start to tumble in the air. I actually prefer a 9' fixed spool rod for distance with this type of fishing now.
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

I forgot about the SG Butch 21cm crank. I had my only lure caught 20 on one as well. For me they seemed to catch a lot of jacks for a relatively large profile lure. The 16cm never seemed to do anywhere near as well for me.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Duce wrote: Sat Feb 06 2021 15:09 -
Hi. I'm looking for recomendations for crankbaits that cast well and rise to the surface on the pause for use with a 60- 100g rod. I already have the SSR which I like but being light doesn't cast too far. I also have the shadow rap which casts better but doesn't really rise. Thanks for any advice.
You want a straight minnow bait that's forward weighed if distance is your main requirement, most crankbaits with be limited in range due to the diving lip - the Rapala Magnum is decent. Having said that, my choice would be a Bucher straight Depth Raider - one of those lures you never leave at home. Of course, step down a bit and the Manns 1 minus is a crankbait that punches well below it's weight (and size) - on a medium rated spinning rod, I can cast one very decent distances. They are a bit of a jack magnet, but also do trip up bigger fish.
Piking Plonker
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Agree on the manns lure - cast like bullets. For minnows I have been impressed by the Diawa Prorex minnow in larger size - cast well on medium gear. The Salmo slider is also a go to in sinking or floating - prefer the latter. Rebel Windcheater was good not seen them for years.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Lucky Craft Pointer are my distance lures.
Cast straight, good wobble and rise gentley, 50yards plus with 22lb Sea Bass braid.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Last edited by andrew_nagel on Sat Mar 06 2021 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
Duce
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Duce »

Thanks for all the recomendations. I can see my lure collection getting out of hand ! I've got a westin raw bite ordered and I'm tempted by a couple of others !
Richardbarton
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Richardbarton »

Cotton Cordell Big ‘O’in the “saltwater” size range cast like a bullet and rise on the pause. They’re basically a big 6” alphabet plug like an overgrown Big S. The small sizes are still readily available, but unfortunately the largest size, which is far better suited to pike are now very difficult to find. Certainly wish I’d bought more when they were available. If you see one, buy it !
brendan taaffe
Perch
Perch

Post by brendan taaffe »

The bomber long A saltwater versions are great casters.The pike don't know they are saltwater lures. 😉

Brendan.
Brendan Taaffe.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

You can thump out a straight depthraider a fair way and on the lighter side, a manns one minus casts really well - punches well above its weight as well
Piking Plonker