Street style lure fishing

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Street style lure fishing

Post by MANO »

Like it or not, being a Youtuber, social media star, influencer or whatever you want to call it, is now seen as a credible vocation.

When I was a teenager the internet wasn't really accessible to the domestic market, so the thought of strapping a camera to my head and uploading the footage of a fishing session seems a bit odd. To someone in their teens and 20s, I guess it's fairly normal.

f**k me, I'm turning into my dad :madmick:
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Johnnyblaze wrote: Fri Feb 19 2021 23:03 -
bacon wrote: Fri Feb 19 2021 14:13 -
Of all the Youtube channels I am a fan of TA fishing the most if I am honest, he may be a bit marmite for some but at least he doesn't take bribes (sponsorship) and generally uses old tat for gear and catches plenty using his knowledge/experience rather than fancy tackle. I enjoy learning why he has chosen certain marks/swims and what he thinks might be going on sub surface with his reasons why.
He is all about the watercraft whatever discipline of fishing he is taking part in, I have learnt a lot from videos such as his over the last 2 and a half years.

One of the worst for product placement is DB fishing, face palm.....
I quite like DB fishing, although some of that is he does a lot of videos on the local river I grew up fishing.

Seeing the effectiveness of large swimbaits etc on waters I fished with traditional sized lures 20 years ago has definitely been an eye opener and has influenced my current fishing positively.

Kanalgratis is also fantastic, its amazingly informative and interesting to see the application of US style musky/bass tech and ideas to pike fishing over here.
Agree they're amongst the better of an generally poor bunch.
Peter Newman
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

fox should have approached some old f*****s on here to advertise there street lure gear
two old gits sitting on old chairs with thermos flasks , casting out ,old toby lures or a big S tucking into cornbeef butties
farting and swearing ...and coughing there b******s off... and treading in dog s**t....this is the real deal urban pike fishing cant get near my urban canal for wobbly heads
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 20:32 -
fox should have approached some old f*****s on here to advertise there street lure gear
two old gits sitting on old chairs with thermos flasks , casting out ,old toby lures or a big S tucking into cornbeef butties
farting and swearing ...and coughing there b******s off... and treading in dog s**t....this is the real deal urban pike fishing cant get near my urban canal for wobbly heads
Wobbly heads??
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

MANO wrote: Sat Feb 20 2021 18:43 -
Like it or not, being a Youtuber, social media star, influencer or whatever you want to call it, is now seen as a credible vocation.

When I was a teenager the internet wasn't really accessible to the domestic market, so the thought of strapping a camera to my head and uploading the footage of a fishing session seems a bit odd. To someone in their teens and 20s, I guess it's fairly normal.

A lot of people make a living from it. I even found my car on Youtube, where some lads had seen it parked and made a short video of themselves standing around it. To be fair, they didn't touch it and were very respectful, none too sure what a sick Audi is though.

Quite often I see people filming themselves fishing - I can see why they do it, just when it gets in the way of fish care, I get annoyed. I watched in disbelief last year as some fella netted a decent carp and then spent about ten minutes filming it on the bank.
Piking Plonker
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 18:55 -

A lot of people make a living from it. I even found my car on Youtube, where some lads had seen it parked and made a short video of themselves standing around it. To be fair, they didn't touch it and were very respectful, none too sure what a sick Audi is though.

Quite often I see people filming themselves fishing - I can see why they do it, just when it gets in the way of fish care, I get annoyed. I watched in disbelief last year as some fella netted a decent carp and then spent about ten minutes filming it on the bank.
Someone summed it up earlier when they said the videos some people put out are more about them and their 5 mins of fame than the fish, so no surprise fish care goes out the window. Don`t watch any BFS videos if lack of fish care annoys you Mark, you`ll end up punching the screen in frustration and annoyance :grin:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Feb 16 2021 14:08 -
Current trends always puzzle me, seems the in-thing is to dress like a c%nt, and use vastly overpriced blingy gear to catch fish too small to even use as livebaits.
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by MANO »

Ahhh the word 'sick'. I hear a lot of the young 'uns using such terminology at work....apparently it means good. A bit like the use of the word 'bad' in the 80s...which also meant good :dizzy:

Yeah, I'm told there's money to be made in the old youtube game......I'm all for that. Great if you're an extrovert and love the attention and public exposure.

It's not for me though, I'm an anti social bugger :grin:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 19:09 -

Someone summed it up earlier when they said the videos some people put out are more about them and their 5 mins of fame than the fish, so no surprise fish care goes out the window. Don`t watch any BFS videos if lack of fish care annoys you Mark, you`ll end up punching the screen in frustration and annoyance :grin:
Thanks for the advice Mark, I'll give those a swerve then.

It's getting a common site on some waters - I was out last week carp fishing and a Kordaphile a few swims away had his camera set-up on a tripod pointing out across his swim. As soon as his alarm sounded, he jumps up and turns on the camera, then attends to the rod... it was a crayfish, which yes, he videoed it!
Piking Plonker
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 20:09 -

It's getting a common site on some waters - I was out last week carp fishing and a Kordaphile a few swims away had his camera set-up on a tripod pointing out across his swim. As soon as his alarm sounded, he jumps up and turns on the camera, then attends to the rod... it was a crayfish, which yes, he videoed it!
Sounds about right Mark, any old crap will do to create enough content to make a YT vid. I came across a couple of old US bass fishing tv programmes on Youtube last night, one with Roland Martin, and cant remember the other fellas name, but he was another well known angler over there. In each 20min show they gave more useful info which actually helps catch fish, than probably the last 200hrs of modern Youtube rubbish i`ve watched. All flashy production and no worthwhile content in the UK stuff....
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

Sounds like a photoshoot for “Crustaceanology” the new youtube channel :joker:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Pikerd74 wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 20:20 -

Sounds like a photoshoot for “Crustaceanology” the new youtube channel :joker:
:laughs: :thumbs:
Piking Plonker
Squaze 123
Roach
Roach

Post by Squaze 123 »

Ha we call em jelly heads, same type :grin:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Pikerd74 wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 18:48 -
Wobbly heads??
young lads off there heads , you notice there heads slightly wobbling , thats when i reach for my very heavy rod rest , just in case .... :guns:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Wobbly heads??
young lads off there heads , you notice there heads slightly wobbling , thats when i reach for my very heavy rod rest , just in case .... :guns:
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 20:30 -
Wobbly heads??
Ahh I see....every day is a school day! :laughs:
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by MANO »

Check out 'Fishing Squad' on youtube if you fancy some cringeworthy entertainment.

It's raw unedited pike fishing carnage direct from Donny.....all waters named if you fancy blanking on some bleak fishless S Yorks river frequented by 'crack heads' who case up your motor while you're down the bank.

Don't worry though, no fish are harmed because they don't catch any.

Fair play to the lad....he's definatly persistent. Must be one of those extroverts I mentioned earlier :grin:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

What were we saying about any excuse to make a video? cue some dimwit trying a wild dead rat and catching Weil`s disease....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8SbkMI6zdU
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 16:28 -
What were we saying about any excuse to make a video? cue some dimwit trying a wild dead rat and catching Weil`s disease....

Yet again I marvel that there are over 56k people who subscribe to watch that kind of stuff.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

I have noticed some local ones, Northern Ireland, popping up on YouTube. It makes me ask an absolutely genuine question. Will Savage Gear not sponsor anyone unless they agree to only use fluorocarbon leaders for pike? Can't honestly think of any other explanation.
Michael Bruton
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 16:42 -

Yet again I marvel that there are over 56k people who subscribe to watch that kind of stuff.
All these channels are identical - sensationalist video titles, a thumbnail of them pulling some stupid face while shoving a lure/rod/reel/their a**e right into the camera. Blind leading the blind is a major understatement. And they all have thousands of subscribers who think its all great.
My ex neighbour`s lad popped round last night to pick up some lures i`d sorted out for him. He watches loads of Youtube vids, rarely reads anything about fishing. He didn`t even know you needed wire leaders for pike, and he`s trying to fish maggots for perch on 20lb line. His mate, who I also gave some lures to, had even less idea. Once the lockdown eases i`ll get him out fishing and show him some stuff. Just shows most Youtube s***e has absolutely no educational value....it`s just braindead entertainment for the masses. No different to the mind numbing crap we have to endure on tv nowadays...
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

fossil-fish wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 16:48 -
I have noticed some local ones, Northern Ireland, popping up on YouTube. It makes me ask an absolutely genuine question. Will Savage Gear not sponsor anyone unless they agree to only use fluorocarbon leaders for pike? Can't honestly think of any other explanation.
Nothing would surprise me with that company FF :no:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 16:57 -

All these channels are identical - sensationalist video titles, a thumbnail of them pulling some stupid face while shoving a lure/rod/reel/their a**e right into the camera. Blind leading the blind is a major understatement. And they all have thousands of subscribers who think its all great.
My ex neighbour`s lad popped round last night to pick up some lures i`d sorted out for him. He watches loads of Youtube vids, rarely reads anything about fishing. He didn`t even know you needed wire leaders for pike, and he`s trying to fish maggots for perch on 20lb line. His mate, who I also gave some lures to, had even less idea. Once the lockdown eases i`ll get him out fishing and show him some stuff. Just shows most Youtube s***e has absolutely no educational value....it`s just braindead entertainment for the masses. No different to the mind numbing crap we have to endure on tv nowadays...
That's all it is, entertainment for those the slow of wit. The same kinda crap as most of the photography channels. "I've been for a day out and caught these jacks/taken these crap landscape photos." :mad:

Thankfully I got rid of my TV years ago!
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 17:26 -

That's all it is, entertainment for those the slow of wit. The same kinda crap as most of the photography channels. "I've been for a day out and caught these jacks/taken these crap landscape photos." :mad:

That`s the thing Dave, it`s not just fishing, it`s every subject on Youtube people make vids about. The videos are identical regardless of the subject. My tv gets turned on to either watch an old film, or a fishing dvd and that`s it :laughs:

PS don`t ever search Youtube for "stret pegging"....you`ll be inundated with dodgy videos of people waving dildos about....the world`s f&cked!! :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 17:30 -

That`s the thing Dave, it`s not just fishing, it`s every subject on Youtube people make vids about. The videos are identical regardless of the subject. My tv gets turned on to either watch an old film, or a fishing dvd and that`s it :laughs:

PS don`t ever search Youtube for "stret pegging"....you`ll be inundated with dodgy videos of people waving dildos about....the world`s f&cked!! :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
When I first got on line someone who had been on from the start told me the problem (20 years ago) was that thick people had now got computers. The trouble nowadays is that thick people have also got video cameras (in their phones FFS) and instant access to Youtube! :laughs:

There is some good stuff out there but it's nigh on impossible to find it among the tsunami of utter s***e! :boing:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 17:41 -

When I first got on line someone who had been on from the start told me the problem (20 years ago) was that thick people had now got computers. The trouble nowadays is that thick people have also got video cameras (in their phones FFS) and instant access to Youtube! :laughs:

There is some good stuff out there but it's nigh on impossible to find it among the tsunami of utter s***e! :boing:
Sums it up well mate :thumbs: Watching a lot of it, you can literally feel your braincells dying while doing so :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 17:43 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 17:41 -

Sums it up well mate :thumbs: Watching a lot of it, you can literally feel your braincells dying while doing so :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
:dizzy:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Slightly off-topic, are there any lure fishing channels people enjoy that are current? I watch the old stuff plus the up to date fly fishing channels from the states, a lot less frantic and in your face.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Monts wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 18:01 -
Slightly off-topic, are there any lure fishing channels people enjoy that are current? I watch the old stuff plus the up to date fly fishing channels from the states, a lot less frantic and in your face.
I`ve yet to find a really good channel which posts consistently good content Jason. I watch a few vids, think they`re decent and subscribe to them, then delete them when they start posting s***e. I tend to just search for subjects i want to watch stuff about, and go from there. Only usually takes a minute or two watching a video to see where it`s heading and whether it`s worth continuing to watch...
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 18:18 -
Monts wrote: Wed Mar 03 2021 18:01 -
I`ve yet to find a really good channel which posts consistently good content Jason. I watch a few vids, think they`re decent and subscribe to them, then delete them when they start posting s***e. I tend to just search for subjects i want to watch stuff about, and go from there. Only usually takes a minute or two watching a video to see where it`s heading and whether it`s worth continuing to watch...
Yep, that's the same as I do put a topic in the search engine and see what pops up. I have got into my fly fishing and in America, every man, dog and his brother seems to get out fishing, not elitist just people getting out. Some nice channels, not big fish, but just fishing and enjoying being out.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach