What is your favourite lure and why?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

What is your favourite lure and why?

Post by alex fisher »

I need some recommendations for good lures. What lure has caught you the most or biggest fish?
Burnyburnside
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: What is your favourite lure and why?

Post by Burnyburnside »

alex fisher wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 11:53 -
I need some recommendations for good lures. What lure has caught you the most or biggest fish?
Hard one to answer I've got a few favourite lures depending on the situation, depth, weather ect ....
My top 5 to cover most situations would be :
A form of Glide bait - Robinson's ST or a hellhound
Spinner bait
Bulldawg
Rapala SSR (in goldfish pattern)
Fox replicant 23cm (chub pattern)
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

Burnyburnside wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 12:12 -
Hard one to answer I've got a few favourite lures depending on the situation, depth, weather ect ....
My top 5 to cover most situations would be :
A form of Glide bait - Robinson's ST or a hellhound
Spinner bait
Bulldawg
Rapala SSR (in goldfish pattern)
Fox replicant 23cm (chub pattern)
Everyone says salmo slider are good
Burnyburnside
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Burnyburnside »

I've never used one so i couldn't say, I use alot of custom baits and big musky lures from the USA.

I'm guessing you're fairly new to lure fishing ? If so I wouldn't go out and spend £100's just go and get 4 or 5 and learn how to fish them correctly.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Cisco Kid & Voblex both old style 70's lures.
These days something big, seriously big, like 250gms and upwards!

Dexter Wedge - For the sea, it goes further and straighter than any other lure every made. Cheaper than chips. Lasts forever. Is indestructible. Catches everywhere Ive used it, the first into my bag when Im traveling or on the local beach (along with a Bass Bullet)
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Neil_M
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Neil_M »

Mike J wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 12:29 -
Cisco Kid & Voblex both old style 70's lures.
These days something big, seriously big, like 250gms and upwards!

Dexter Wedge - For the sea, it goes further and straighter than any other lure every made. Cheaper than chips. Lasts forever. Is indestructible. Catches everywhere Ive used it, the first into my bag when Im traveling or on the local beach (along with a Bass Bullet)
Mike's 100% spot on with the Dexter Wedge, casts into Outer Hebridean winds no problem (well, it casts without coming back and hitting you in the chops).

River wise I gravitate towards pretty much anything in a natural roach style pattern. Rapala Otis 17cm has a lovely action and caught me my biggest fish.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Heddon 'Magnum Tadpolly' for me. Not a huge lure, but punches well above it's weight and has accounted for my two biggest lure-caught pike, albeit years apart, and plenty of others in between. :thumbs:

20190326_140220.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Savage 4play V1 19cm
it just works for me, all sizes of pike, easy to fish, and they often want to eat it!
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

I still rate the Ole big S but I’m a p**s poor lure fisherman 🤣
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

The more lures you buy, the more you will realise catching is rarely down to specific lure choice.
Right place, depth and speed usually much more important.

Lures that catch most tend to be ones we use most - self-fulfilling.

Dave Lumb's articles and Dave Pugh's book offer good advice.

Shads, grubs and spinnerbaits are good standbys - cheap, versatile for depths, and reliable catchers.
Peter Newman
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

You could do a lot worse than buying a handfull of effective, easy to fish lures and learn to fish them all. If you got a 10cm sinking Salmo Slider, 19cm Savagear 4play, 35g Abu Atom, Sz. 5 Mepps Aglia and some 4" Kopyto shads with some 4/0 5-14g jigheads tgat would cover you. If you want more variation could add a 32g Savage Da Bush spinnerbait and a Spro hollow body frog. All can be cast on a standard 15-50g casting weight fixed spool spinning outfit and will cover most venues and catch a lot of fish.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

John Milford wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 15:41 -
Heddon 'Magnum Tadpolly' for me. Not a huge lure, but punches well above it's weight and has accounted for my two biggest lure-caught pike, albeit years apart, and plenty of others in between. :thumbs:

20190326_140220.jpg
That's a strikingly marked fish, John :thumbs: Clear water?
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

peteren wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 17:49 -
The more lures you buy, the more you will realise catching is rarely down to specific lure choice.
Right place, depth and speed usually much more important.

Lures that catch most tend to be ones we use most - self-fulfilling.

Dave Lumb's articles and Dave Pugh's book offer good advice.

Shads, grubs and spinnerbaits are good standbys - cheap, versatile for depths, and reliable catchers.
disagree on that tbh

theres so many diff lures with diff actions and purpose, and some ARE better than others, for example catching on a certain lure time after time depsite using others just as much
,some lures just have awesome reactions to them and pulling power, you pick the right tool for the job, it will often work and make the job easier, thats lure fishing for me.

maybe using lures you are confident may help, as more you use it the beter you will learn it.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 19:25 -
John Milford wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 15:41 -

20190326_140220.jpg
That's a strikingly marked fish, John :thumbs: Clear water?
Funnily enough Steve, it was from a fairly murky still water that somehow seems to have an untypically nicely marked strain of pike. :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Andy C
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Andy C »

Has to be a ABU jointed Hi-Lo, in orange/black.

Not the best lure I've ever used, but the one that really got me into Pike fishing in my younger years.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Impossible to answer for me I'm afraid, as there's so many good lures, where do you start? You also have to factor in the angler - a number, of I am sure very competent lure anglers, have stated they can't catch on spinnerbaits or dawgs - two lures types that I've caught literally hundreds of pike on over the years. You'll see people listing what they use and have confidence in, that's the reality of it. It's easier to name lures that are w**k, like that 'orrible swimming turd, the Spro BBZ :afraid:
Piking Plonker
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Strike-pro Wolftails large ( any colour)
Buster jerk slow sinking large ( any colour)
Fox shallow replicant 23cm (Pike & Rainbow trout )
Westin Monstervibe large colorado ( crazy firetiger)

Why ,well they just seem to work on the waters I fish ( from the bank) which most of them average 5ft to 9 ft but are no more than 20 ft at the deepest point .
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Peter......the lure you caught on DEFINITELY had an impact on the fish you caught.
Only having two patterns/ types DEFINITELY limits your catch return for any given day.
On the days when they are " On" yes you will catch on a Grub/ Hinged spinnerbait but on the days your super lure fails you would be mistaken to assume they simply were " Not On"
Ringing the changes will grind one out. Sticking with the trusted old favourite will see a blank.
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

At the moment, Im using westin shadteez 12cm with just a 10g jig head. I actually just caught a 10lb+ pike on it at my local canal which was surprising as Ive only ever caught 2-3lb pike in there before
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Go even lighter with the jig head......5 or 7g.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

JohnCopeman wrote: Fri Feb 19 2021 11:10 -
Peter......the lure you caught on DEFINITELY had an impact on the fish you caught.
Only having two patterns/ types DEFINITELY limits your catch return for any given day.
On the days when they are " On" yes you will catch on a Grub/ Hinged spinnerbait but on the days your super lure fails you would be mistaken to assume they simply were " Not On"
Ringing the changes will grind one out. Sticking with the trusted old favourite will see a blank.
:laughs: :wink: Agreed JC - and I never mentioned hinged spinnerbaits!
But I stand by my OP.
Especially as newbies will likely be bombarded with FB / Youtubers hyping "must have" individual lures.
Peter Newman
Johnnyblaze
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Johnnyblaze »

Suick thriller 7"

It was absolutely useless when fished in its correct manner but I discovered that if the tail is straightened it can be used as a dog walking surface lure with a thrashing rather than gliding action.

Best surface lure I've ever used even if the hooks are too soft and it goes wherever it wants on the cast
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Squirrely Burt.

Mind you, of the 26 (at last count) I have no two do the same thing! :dizzy:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Running depth and speed of retreive is pretty much dictated by the lure choice., its hard to fish a sinking spinnerbait slowly high in the water and even harder to fish one deep at a faster pace. I think venue/ water actually has more bearing on correct lure choice than any other factor. In a deep , place river with decent flow and width you can fish the same lure when there is frost on the ground as you can wearing your shorts in June.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

JohnCopeman wrote: Fri Feb 19 2021 11:10 -
Have to agree with that. I`ve seen enough blank sessions turned around by changing to one particular lure, sometimes an obscure one, or at least something you wouldn`t use a lot, to realise that it`s a cop out to think that the fish weren`t on just because the banker lures failed to produce. It`s also suggested over the years, that in most cases, extreme weather aside, pike can usually be tempted by *something*. Whether you have that *something* with you though, is another thing. You can only carry so many lures on the bank before it restricts your mobility.
Boat fishing up in Scotland with Will has proved interesting too. Will takes a lot of lures with him and changes regularly. I tend to stick with a more limited selection of lures i`m confident in and change less often. Although we usually match each other results-wise overall, the number of times a switch to something totally different has upped the catch rate on the day, or thrown up a decent fish can be an eye opener, and has shown that carrying a good variety of lure TYPES, as opposed to lots of variations is a better option.
Richardbarton
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Richardbarton »

Squirrely Burt for me too. They are just so damn versatile and enjoyable/ interesting to fish.

I often find that while certain lures can be very effective, they can also be just a bit boring to repeatedly cast. Bulldawg’s spring immediately to mind with a steady, constant retrieve often being the most productive way to fish them. I’m sure you could train a monkey to catch well on Bulldawg’s.........cast em out, wind em in and repeat.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Whichever one I’m catching on!
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

MarkBerrisford wrote: Fri Feb 19 2021 22:34 -
Whichever one I’m catching on!
Yep :thumbs:

There is no lure that will be the very best on every water and on every day, which is what makes lure fishing so compelling, and why so many lure anglers own a ridiculous number of lures.

I probably catch most of my pike most years on glidebaits, but they suit the waters I fish well and I tend to fish them more than anything else, so that explains that one.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Whatever I am catching on is obviously the right answer but I do have a soft spot for small jerkbaits. The 7cm sinking Salmo Slider is lovely to fish on spinning gear, casts like a bullet, and catches me stacks of fish. I seem to have a huge collection of these and will always jump to buy a colour I dont have. But to be honest I think the little Dorado Drunk has the edge but is just a bit harder to get.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dorado-Drunk ... 1872400231
Michael Bruton
John O Grady
Perch
Perch

Post by John O Grady »

Depends on the time of year and how I'm fishing but the 10cm Fatso Crank catches me more fish than any other lure in the spring when the fish are in the shallows. I have other lures that I've caught more big fish on, but in terms of numbers it is by far the lure that I have the most fun using.