Giant Ned rigs

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Giant Ned rigs

Post by Lee7499 »

Having seen plenty of Pike caught on Ned rigs by people targeting Perch so does anyone know if they produce a bigger versions for Pike.
I have seen the Z-man 4 inch and 6 inch ones but they seem skinny and maybe a bit too fragile for pike.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Giant Ned rigs

Post by Carlperkins »

Wouldn’t say they are fragile
You can stretch them from a******e to breakfast time
That Perkins !!! 😂
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Carlperkins wrote: Thu Mar 04 2021 21:30 -
Would you say they could stand up to being used primarily for Pike. Im not sure of the durability as I haven't had much experience with them .
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Pm me your address and I will send you a couple
Need to be kept separate from other soft lures apparently 👍
That Perkins !!! 😂
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lee7499 wrote: Thu Mar 04 2021 21:36 -
Carlperkins wrote: Thu Mar 04 2021 21:30 -
Would you say they could stand up to being used primarily for Pike. Im not sure of the durability as I haven't had much experience with them .
had a few pike on them now and not noticed any damage as of yet
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Carlperkins wrote: Thu Mar 04 2021 21:47 -
Pm me your address and I will send you a couple
Need to be kept separate from other soft lures apparently 👍
Appreciate the offer Carl ,very kind and as always The Pit spirit shines through. I wont take up your offer but its very much appreciated as I will purchase a few of the larger Perch ones and see how the go. :handshake: :thumbs:

Lee Hall
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

They're fine for pike, I've caught dozens of them on the same zman and it's not got a mark on it.
Keep them in the bag they come in, they melt other softies.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Not wishing to cause offence, but when you guys fish the 'Ned' do you fish it for a long period? Only after 30 minutes my eyes glaze over and I go back to a search bait. I'm not having a pop, I admire anyone who can fish this way, but don't you get bored?
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

I think it all depends on the day and place I suppose. I would start with 10 second pauses and either move up or down by 5 second increments and see what starts to get bites. The different methods are up to the individual so hop & bounce first then the deadstick and maybe a straight retrieve if thats not getting any hits.
Im sure the guys with more experience will be able to offer a lot more advice than myself as I'm just starting out on this sort of fishing.

Lee Hall
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Monts wrote: Fri Mar 05 2021 10:10 -
Not wishing to cause offence, but when you guys fish the 'Ned' do you fish it for a long period? Only after 30 minutes my eyes glaze over and I go back to a search bait. I'm not having a pop, I admire anyone who can fish this way, but don't you get bored?
I'm the same, it only gets a couple of casts per swim, it's not a method I enjoy so don't go out to fish the Ned for even a short session, 2-3 casts just to see if it tempts a bite, and then back to something else.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Monts wrote: Fri Mar 05 2021 10:10 -
Same, and with all soft plastics too, unless i`m catching regularly. Fished SPs a lot 2 autumns ago on a local water, and overall, it was probably the most boring (for me) period of fishing for a long time. Guess i`m too used to fishing more active baits...
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by MANO »

Lee7499 wrote: Thu Mar 04 2021 20:50 -
Having seen plenty of Pike caught on Ned rigs by people targeting Perch so does anyone know if they produce a bigger versions for Pike.
I have seen the Z-man 4 inch and 6 inch ones but they seem skinny and maybe a bit too fragile for pike.
There's a fella on facebook called Russell Lures who makes SPs and Jig Heads for the Ned Rig.

He's just brought out a heavy duty jig head and big floating worm type thing that would be ideal for pike.

It looks a lot more robust than the zman versions.
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

MANO wrote: Fri Mar 05 2021 16:51 -
There's a fella on facebook called Russell Lures who makes SPs and Jig Heads for the Ned Rig.

He's just brought out a heavy duty jig head and big floating worm type thing that would be ideal for pike.

Nice one ,will have a look at that :thumbs:

Lee Hall
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Zman do make a much .larger version.....large in a perch aspect but still a moderate bait for decent pike.
Kell made a " Purd".....the Pike Turd. It worked and caught pike but not anything as successful as 6 inch paddle tailed shad.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

It may look more robust, but as it's made from plastisol, it'll tear up just like other soft plastic.
Zman are made from a totally different material that's pretty much pike resistant.
You get the occasional claw sliced off crayfish imitations for example, but it's rare.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

TRDs end up looking like they have been rubbed with sandpaper- surface roughed up but not many slices in them.
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

Lee7499 wrote: Fri Mar 05 2021 17:11 -

That's Rab Russell, he's on here now and again, long time member. But get him on Facebook for insatnt advice.
He does brilliant lures plus the new Fat Lobs are ideal for pike fished on the ned. He takes a HUGE pride in his lures and does some amount of research into them.
His big pike lures are amazing as well.
Probably the best soft-bait seller in the UK right now.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

gus666 wrote: Sat Mar 06 2021 21:46 -
Lee7499 wrote: Fri Mar 05 2021 17:11 -

That's Rab Russell, he's on here now and again, long time member. But get him on Facebook for insatnt advice.
He does brilliant lures plus the new Fat Lobs are ideal for pike fished on the ned. He takes a HUGE pride in his lures and does some amount of research into them.
His big pike lures are amazing as well.
Probably the best soft-bait seller in the UK right now.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Cheers mate :thumbs:

Lee Hall
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

The giant trds are an excellent pike bait. I’ve had more 20s on these than anything else (not thats it’s many!)

I’ve never had one damaged by a fish. Obviously you stick a few in snags. I tend to fish them with a smaller main hook than the magshroomZ with a stinger as I prefer using more than 10g on them in the areas I use them.
Mark at lure factors makes a 14g stand up head with a 4/0 and it’s spot on.

Anything except the zman variants are going to be poor in comparison. Elaztech works. Standard plastisol will just fall apart after a couple of fish, especially the way they hit these.

I only use them (and the smaller ones) in areas I know the fish are holding. Absolutely useless as a search bait in general.
James Dobie.
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

The giant trds are an excellent pike bait. I’ve had more 20s on these than anything else (not thats it’s many!)

I’ve never had one damaged by a fish. Obviously you stick a few in snags. I tend to fish them with a smaller main hook than the magshroomZ with a stinger as I prefer using more than 10g on them in the areas I use them.
Mark at lure factors makes a 14g stand up head with a 4/0 and it’s spot on.

Anything except the zman variants are going to be poor in comparison. Elaztech works. Standard plastisol will just fall apart after a couple of fish, especially the way they hit these.

I only use them (and the smaller ones) in areas I know the fish are holding. Absolutely useless as a search bait in general.
James Dobie.