Beware those little taps!

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Beware those little taps!

Post by peteren »

I used to console myself that missed knocks and taps on lures were probably jacks. No doubt many are, but I’ve had yet another prove otherwise today!
A little tap, then proper take from this 17 – a welcome season’s best, on what might be my last river session, looking at the forecast!
Ironically, I’d had several jacks up-river – all firm hits that stuck. Hoping that the bigger girls might also be grouped elsewhere, I was glad to eventually find this and a couple of scrapers nearby.
17 mar21.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Newman
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Beware those little taps!

Post by stubbojo »

peteren wrote: Tue Mar 09 2021 18:01 -
I used to console myself that missed knocks and taps on lures were probably jacks. No doubt many are, but I’ve had yet another prove otherwise today!
A little tap, then proper take from this 17 – a welcome season’s best, on what might be my last river session, looking at the forecast!
Ironically, I’d had several jacks up-river – all firm hits that stuck. Hoping that the bigger girls might also be grouped elsewhere, I was glad to eventually find this and a couple of scrapers nearby.

17 mar21.JPG
where i fish the little taps are perch and very small jacks, but some of the perch are a good size ......
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Well, if it does turn out to be your last session Pete, you have topped it off on a high!

:thumbs:
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

alan behenna wrote: Tue Mar 09 2021 19:13 -
Well, if it does turn out to be your last session Pete, you have topped it off on a high!

:thumbs:
Second that :thumbs:
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Where I lure fish there's often no taps at all from pike, as the line actually goes a little slack, but then solid as if you've caught bottom. And sometimes what you thought was a little jack after playing it for a wee while, suddenly turns out to be a double figure fish when it realises its hooked.