Re: What a fish!!

Post by Mark_Houghton »

nigel savage wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 13:36 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 15:00 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 14:05 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 14:00 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:52 -
Paddy_R wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:02 -
Always love the old 'my IQ is too superior for this'. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: FFS
I can see how my post came across like that Paddy, but that`s not what I meant. I`ve tried to watch it several times but it just grates on me, same as the s***e on tv these days.
You need to watch something like this. After the first hectic minute of opening credits it settles down. :smile:
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: I didn`t realise Korda had turned the cameras on their target audience :afraid: :stir:
:laughs:

It seems to me the pikefly thing, and others, are advertising/promotion under the guise of entertainment.
You are right there Dave, with media attention easy to access, predator flyfishing has gone into overdrive, websites being started on a regular, seemingly, non stop basis, the company advertising on the programme have aquired anglers as Ambassadors with them promoting their tackle, some with experience, but others starting off with basic knowledge.
One of the company's new rod Carbo/Graphene model, retails at an amazing £900, I queried the rod's price on a website, an ambassador stated that the rod was designed for certain anglers ?? I said who might that be then, no reply?
I think if he had replied "gullible mugs" he may have got into trouble with his sponsors :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Paddy_R wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 13:27 -
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: f****n hell.

In other news Predator Fight is starting at the end of the month. :thumbs:
Cant wait for the thread on that 🤣🤣
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 14:19 -
Get onto the fella who contacted you from China 🤣🤣
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Wonder I haven't heard it " name dropped" on Fly v Jerk 12 then. Seeing as its just a big advert.
TBH the shameless/ blatant " plugging" isn't that blatant or over obvious.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Lukemilnes wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 15:10 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 14:19 -
Get onto the fella who contacted you from China 🤣🤣
:thumbs:

peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Monts wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 10:38 -
Luke,

I'm not critising anyone who watches it, it's just not for me. Although I've seen a few posts above PeterN enjoys it, I'll bring you a thumb ring Peter when we next meet up.

YouTube is great, we are all different. I like the historical angling stuff, from the interviews with the old time Muskie guys. Old lure stuff, cane rods etc. Anything but the clone like programme that are churned out now. It's that or a head in the book and listen to yet another podcast from across the pond, there are literally hundreds to choose from.

Each to there own.
Although I've seen a few posts above PeterN enjoys it, I'll bring you a thumb ring Peter when we next meet up.
Look forward to that; maybe I need some piercings and tattoos too? :laughs: :wink: :cheers:
Peter Newman
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

JohnCopeman wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 16:14 -
Wonder I haven't heard it " name dropped" on Fly v Jerk 12 then. Seeing as its just a big advert.
TBH the shameless/ blatant " plugging" isn't that blatant or over obvious.
Just a guess but Fly v's Jerk may have been shot prior to the launch of these rods? The reviews are online for about the last week or so. I was watching a Sea Trout video the other night from the same channel, and they were using the #7. Not bad as it was something different.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 14:17 -
nigel savage wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 13:36 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 15:00 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 14:05 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 14:00 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:52 -
Paddy_R wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:02 -
Always love the old 'my IQ is too superior for this'. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: FFS
I can see how my post came across like that Paddy, but that`s not what I meant. I`ve tried to watch it several times but it just grates on me, same as the s***e on tv these days.
You need to watch something like this. After the first hectic minute of opening credits it settles down. :smile:
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: I didn`t realise Korda had turned the cameras on their target audience :afraid: :stir:

It seems to me the pikefly thing, and others, are advertising/promotion under the guise of entertainment.
You are right there Dave, with media attention easy to access, predator flyfishing has gone into overdrive, websites being started on a regular, seemingly, non stop basis, the company advertising on the programme have aquired anglers as Ambassadors with them promoting their tackle, some with experience, but others starting off with basic knowledge.
One of the company's new rod Carbo/Graphene model, retails at an amazing £900, I queried the rod's price on a website, an ambassador stated that the rod was designed for certain anglers ?? I said who might that be then, no reply?
I think if he had replied "gullible mugs" he may have got into trouble with his sponsors :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Apologies, the rod is actually £949. 99 that's the Vision 9 foot 10 weight Merisuola graphene.
Think I'll buy the blanks from somewhere and build my own.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

i just caught up with ep 4, man what a fish!!
i actaully quite like the programme, yeh they may try sell a few lures doing it, they get very excited and happy, who wouldnt??
what they ae wearing..i couldnt careless tbh

my fave team in 4 was the german Diawa team, Buster is funny as!
frankcarty
Roach
Roach

Post by frankcarty »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:50 -
Lukemilnes wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:05 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 11:48 -
phil.c wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 10:37 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 17:13 -
neil hardiker wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 16:43 -
Saw the fish, but too painful for me to watch. Surprised they both managed to stay in the boat.
Far too shouty for an old git like me.
All that whooping and hollering does my head in.

I have caught plenty of pike on lures from a boat.

And don't think I have hollered or whooped once. :boing:
Same. I`ve tried to watch it several times but the whole contrived mess just makes my flesh creep. Just more flashy production b******s for the low IQ masses, with a few pike thrown in for good measure.
That a bit of a statement mark 🤣🤣 times move on mate.

Cant deny the success of these lure companies, america is no different, probably worse. The UK is well behind
Never mentioned any companies Luke. It`s the fake, all for the camera crap that i can`t be chewed with. It`s no different to people acting like c*cks in front of the camera on the likes of big brother and other reality rubbish. Lure fishing could easily progress just as much without people turning into attention whores in front of a camera.
Agh come on, you are comparing fly v jerk to reality tv trash like big brother?
When I was younger, I used to read Improve your coarse fishing, Pike and Predators and the angling times, when ever I could get my hands on them in Ireland. The 3 publications were full of articles from sponsored anglers, plugging the latest gear from their sponsors. However, they explained their rigs and approach to their day very well, and you could apply that to your own fishing without buying new gear. For the same reason I watch coarse fishing videos from Steve Ringer, yet I own no Guru tackle. I learn things, and its entertaining. Its the same with Fly v Jerk.

I can understand why people think they look like c*cks in front of the camera at times, but at the end of the day fly v jerk is a competition. When a goal is scored in a PL game, should all players walk back to the center circle for tip off? I fish a few big pike competitions in Ireland every year (well I did before covid hit!, all catch photo release, none of that blue barrel sh1te). On a day pleasure fishing, a pike of 80cm to the boat is nothing to write home about and is unhooked at the side of the boat if possible, but in a competition, that could be a very valuable fish. As for 100cm+ fish, knowing that has put you into the lead or moves you well up the leader board is some feeling.
Shur even the late great John Wilson used to have an infectious/annoying laugh when he hooked a fish, depending on who you are talking to!

In my opinion, the real progress I hope that comes out of Fly v Jerk is the promotion of "Catch Photo Release" competitions where the score is based on length, and how people can see how easy they are to run. I know Fly v Jerk has the Big Fish point that is based on weight, but only a handful of pike are weighed every day. We still have way too many of the dreaded "Blue Barrel" competitions in Ireland.

In 2021 any Tom, Dick and Harry can start a youtube channel, and a lot of them are pure muck. The younger generation want their content on demand, they won't wait a month for the next edition of a magazine, and thats not going to change. There are some great angling youtubers out there (the fish locker comes to mind), and I'd encourage any young predator angler to watch fly v jerk.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

frankcarty wrote: Fri Mar 19 2021 13:42 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:50 -
Lukemilnes wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:05 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 11:48 -
phil.c wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 10:37 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 17:13 -
neil hardiker wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 16:43 -
Saw the fish, but too painful for me to watch. Surprised they both managed to stay in the boat.
Far too shouty for an old git like me.
All that whooping and hollering does my head in.

I have caught plenty of pike on lures from a boat.

And don't think I have hollered or whooped once. :boing:
Same. I`ve tried to watch it several times but the whole contrived mess just makes my flesh creep. Just more flashy production b******s for the low IQ masses, with a few pike thrown in for good measure.
That a bit of a statement mark 🤣🤣 times move on mate.

Cant deny the success of these lure companies, america is no different, probably worse. The UK is well behind
Never mentioned any companies Luke. It`s the fake, all for the camera crap that i can`t be chewed with. It`s no different to people acting like c*cks in front of the camera on the likes of big brother and other reality rubbish. Lure fishing could easily progress just as much without people turning into attention whores in front of a camera.
Agh come on, you are comparing fly v jerk to reality tv trash like big brother?
When I was younger, I used to read Improve your coarse fishing, Pike and Predators and the angling times, when ever I could get my hands on them in Ireland. The 3 publications were full of articles from sponsored anglers, plugging the latest gear from their sponsors. However, they explained their rigs and approach to their day very well, and you could apply that to your own fishing without buying new gear. For the same reason I watch coarse fishing videos from Steve Ringer, yet I own no Guru tackle. I learn things, and its entertaining. Its the same with Fly v Jerk.

I can understand why people think they look like c*cks in front of the camera at times, but at the end of the day fly v jerk is a competition. When a goal is scored in a PL game, should all players walk back to the center circle for tip off? I fish a few big pike competitions in Ireland every year (well I did before covid hit!, all catch photo release, none of that blue barrel sh1te). On a day pleasure fishing, a pike of 80cm to the boat is nothing to write home about and is unhooked at the side of the boat if possible, but in a competition, that could be a very valuable fish. As for 100cm+ fish, knowing that has put you into the lead or moves you well up the leader board is some feeling.
Shur even the late great John Wilson used to have an infectious/annoying laugh when he hooked a fish, depending on who you are talking to!

In my opinion, the real progress I hope that comes out of Fly v Jerk is the promotion of "Catch Photo Release" competitions where the score is based on length, and how people can see how easy they are to run. I know Fly v Jerk has the Big Fish point that is based on weight, but only a handful of pike are weighed every day. We still have way too many of the dreaded "Blue Barrel" competitions in Ireland.
It`s no different really Frank, people giving it the biggun whenever a camera is pointing at them... one programme theyre stuck in a house, the other theyre stuck in boats. I could happily watch stuff like Fly vs Jerk etc if the competitors didn`t act like such dicks at times, or if it was genuine and not just put on for the cameras. I watch Wilson videos quite often, and i think although his giggling etc can be a bit annoying, he was just trying to liven up what is a rather boring hobby for non-anglers to watch, more so with it being the first proper fishing series on tv and the producers having no idea of the reaction the series would receive.
I`ve been watching some of Steve Ringers videos the last few weeks as i`ll be doing some feeder fishing this summer. Way more useful info in his vids than the average lure or pike video on youtube. He just fishes, passes on good info, and doesn`t dance about or act like a prick either, which is a bonus :laughs: If the info being shown is genuinely helpful and informative, a bit of product placement matters little too :thumbs: