Barbel

Re: What a fish!!

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Lukemilnes wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:05 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 11:48 -
phil.c wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 10:37 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 17:13 -
neil hardiker wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 16:43 -
Saw the fish, but too painful for me to watch. Surprised they both managed to stay in the boat.
Far too shouty for an old git like me.
All that whooping and hollering does my head in.

I have caught plenty of pike on lures from a boat.

And don't think I have hollered or whooped once. :boing:
Same. I`ve tried to watch it several times but the whole contrived mess just makes my flesh creep. Just more flashy production b******s for the low IQ masses, with a few pike thrown in for good measure.
That a bit of a statement mark 🤣🤣 times move on mate.

Cant deny the success of these lure companies, america is no different, probably worse. The UK is well behind
Never mentioned any companies Luke. It`s the fake, all for the camera crap that i can`t be chewed with. It`s no different to people acting like c*cks in front of the camera on the likes of big brother and other reality rubbish. Lure fishing could easily progress just as much without people turning into attention whores in front of a camera.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Paddy_R wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:02 -
Always love the old 'my IQ is too superior for this'. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: FFS
I can see how my post came across like that Paddy, but that`s not what I meant. I`ve tried to watch it several times but it just grates on me, same as the s***e on tv these days.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 13:52 -
Always love the old 'my IQ is too superior for this'. :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: FFS
I can see how my post came across like that Paddy, but that`s not what I meant. I`ve tried to watch it several times but it just grates on me, same as the s***e on tv these days.
You need to watch something like this. After the first hectic minute of opening credits it settles down. :smile:
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

Fair enough Mark. I rarely turn on the tv but for sports these days.
Each to their own. :thumbs:
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 14:00 -
You need to watch something like this. After the first hectic minute of opening credits it settles down. :smile:
:laughs:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: I didn`t realise Korda had turned the cameras on their target audience :afraid: :stir:
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

:boing:

Think the difference is over there it is a sport. It's a competition at the end of the day, I'd be pretty happy to get payed to blast round in fancy boats catching pike 😃
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 14:05 -
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: I didn`t realise Korda had turned the cameras on their target audience :afraid: :stir:

It seems to me the pikefly thing, and others, are advertising/promotion under the guise of entertainment.
Shiv
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Shiv »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 17:11 -
They should have an English boat on there – you can almost imagine the conversation as they film…

“So far we’ve had f**k all. Bob got a hit on a dawg, but it took the tail clean off and that was his only one, so that’s f****d us. We were going to motor across to the bay at the other end of the lake, but have used half our petrol up, as we got a bit lost on our way out. Haven’t got much to eat either, as the missis forgot to put the sarnies in, so we have two scotch eggs and a sausage roll. How s**t is that? Ooops, just felt a hit, and again – arrhhh it’s off. f**k me, the bloody hooks bent out. I told you those Fox trebles were s**t. (another boat passes them)… oi mate, we’re fishing here, f**k off. OK, better crack on, as Bob needs to take a s**t”… OK folks, those crazy Brits struggling there and only 3 hours of fishing to go, back to the studio…”
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 15:00 -

It seems to me the pikefly thing, and others, are advertising/promotion under the guise of entertainment.
Without a doubt :thumbs:
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

JohnCopeman wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 09:42 -
But we manage to catch still Ian.....to be honest even though the 14kg was a lovely fish was it actually anything " spectacular " in the small island world of UK lure f8shing- even off the bank.
137 ( ish???) Pike in a day actually impressed me more.
As usual, you missed my point, which wasn’t that having fancy boats makes you a better angler, just that they are not at all unusual out there, in fact more the norm. Simple as that!!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Surely not, slow motion close up of a back cast, the trailing loop, spray coming off the rod in a seductive light. It just screams buy me and then get your own Instagram account and you to can live the lifestyle. Nope I've tried to like it, but it's to brash for me. :grin:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

So no one listens to music then? No one watches sport. Bloody ell lads, lighten up. Its a free show, dont have to buy anything 🤣🤣🤣

And if a 30lb lure caught fish isn't spectacular then whats the point 🤷‍♂️

www.eplures.com
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Lukemilnes wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 10:01 -
So no one listens to music then? No one watches sport. Bloody ell lads, lighten up. Its a free show, dont have to buy anything 🤣🤣🤣

It's yet another example of the decline of a decadent 'look at me' society where everyone's life ambition is to be a social media influencer and famous for being famous.

It's bullshit.

JMO

YMMV

:stir: :stir: :stir: :stir:

Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 10:07 -

It's yet another example of the decline of a decadent 'look at me' society where everyone's life ambition is to be a social media influencer and famous for being famous.

It's bullshit.

JMO

YMMV

Totally agree Dave, nowt can be done about it tho.

There's f**k all else to do, fishing has been poor locally and the boats not seen water for months.

w*****s or not i bet they're having fun

www.eplures.com
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Luke,

I'm not critising anyone who watches it, it's just not for me. Although I've seen a few posts above PeterN enjoys it, I'll bring you a thumb ring Peter when we next meet up.

YouTube is great, we are all different. I like the historical angling stuff, from the interviews with the old time Muskie guys. Old lure stuff, cane rods etc. Anything but the clone like programme that are churned out now. It's that or a head in the book and listen to yet another podcast from across the pond, there are literally hundreds to choose from.

Each to there own.
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

I like Fly vs. Yerk, but if I watch too much then I find myself pining for DPM, herrings and mud. Maybe that's what I'll call my Youtube channel!
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

It's bullshit.

JMO

YMMV

I`ve recently been sorting bits of gear for my ex-neighbour`s lad and his mate, both teens, who are doing a lot of fishing at the moment. They watch all the popular, attention grabbing, but pointless, fishing channels on youtube, and as a result haven`t got a clue. They`ve been taught nothing from watching this tripe. One of them has his own youtube channel though. Sums up the state of things at the present time.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 12:03 -

It's bullshit.

JMO

YMMV

I`ve recently been sorting bits of gear for my ex-neighbour`s lad and his mate, both teens, who are doing a lot of fishing at the moment. They watch all the popular, attention grabbing, but pointless, fishing channels on youtube, and as a result haven`t got a clue. They`ve been taught nothing from watching this tripe. One of them has his own youtube channel though. Sums up the state of things at the present time.
In the past magazines were educational as well as entertaining - then they advertorials came along and things started to slide. Then along came the internet and a total lack of editorial curation of what is fit to be published. Which means novices have no idea if what the info they are being fed is good or bad. Then they start repeating it and it becomes the new gospel.

The cat can't go back in the bag though. :sad:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 12:19 -

It's bullshit.

JMO

YMMV

In the past magazines were educational as well as entertaining - then they advertorials came along and things started to slide. Then along came the internet and a total lack of editorial curation of what is fit to be published. Which means novices have no idea if what the info they are being fed is good or bad. Then they start repeating it and it becomes the new gospel.

I can see a time in the future where the only waters being fished will be mega overstocked carp puddles, as they`ll be the only places where future generations of anglers will be able to actually catch any fish. There`ll be no watercraft, no technical skill, just knackers with fishing rods. Any fish which demands any sort of skill to catch will be avoided. It`s not just the fault of youtube vids and such like. A lot of kids these days have an inability to actually work things out for themselves like we had to, and an unwillingness to put any effort into learning to do things properly, even if the information is there on a plate for them. They don`t read mags and books, that`s too much effort. They just sit goggle eyed watching youtube, and like you say, if the content is crap they won`t learn anything. Thankfully not all kids are like that, some very good young anglers out there, but the future of angling looks pretty bleak.
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

It is each to their own. Just funny how much its disliked 🤣🤣

I see where your coming from with influencing people.

Well then surely we should be trying to educate the 'youth'? I spend a lot of time on the socials explaining why someone who's just started pike fishing shouldn't be lobbing a 200mm lure out with no knowledge of unhooking a pike let alone rigs.

Don't think there's any bad angling practices (lets not go back to fluro 🤣) it's completely unrealistic to average angler for sure. Thats kind of why its good 🤷‍♂️ maybe newcomers do take it seriously?

When can we discuss this in the pub
:cheers:

www.eplures.com
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 12:56 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 12:19 -

It's bullshit.

JMO

YMMV

I can see a time in the future where the only waters being fished will be mega overstocked carp puddles, as they`ll be the only places where future generations of anglers will be able to actually catch any fish. There`ll be no watercraft, no technical skill, just knackers with fishing rods. Any fish which demands any sort of skill to catch will be avoided. It`s not just the fault of youtube vids and such like. A lot of kids these days have an inability to actually work things out for themselves like we had to, and an unwillingness to put any effort into learning to do things properly, even if the information is there on a plate for them. They don`t read mags and books, that`s too much effort. They just sit goggle eyed watching youtube, and like you say, if the content is crap they won`t learn anything. Thankfully not all kids are like that, some very good young anglers out there, but the future of angling looks pretty bleak.
In my day those who didn't want to learn caught nowt and drifted away. I guess you're right, they can now go to commercials and still bag up. It's capitalism at work - sell the masses what they want no matter how crap it is.
:giggle:
Up the revolution!!!
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

b
Ian Crook wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 21:27 -
JohnCopeman wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 09:42 -
But we manage to catch still Ian.....to be honest even though the 14kg was a lovely fish was it actually anything " spectacular " in the small island world of UK lure f8shing- even off the bank.
137 ( ish???) Pike in a day actually impressed me more.
As usual, you missed my point, which wasn’t that having fancy boats makes you a better angler, just that they are not at all unusual out there, in fact more the norm. Simple as that!!
No Ian...I totally got the boats being the norm...it appears you missed my point about this little island doing ok from the bank and lesser equipped boats.
As you put it...simple as that.
It's not all about the boats, more about the lure fishing.
It's what I wait to watch on a Friday night- as it's better than Sally and Kev in Weatherfield....which isn't real life drama ...like Emmerdale is.
Straightupyorkshireface
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: f****n hell.

In other news Predator Fight is starting at the end of the month. :thumbs:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

30th isn't it??
Mrs C always asks why I have the sound on when it's sub titles....
Well I did learn the Swedish for " Twenty Twenty".
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

You are right there Dave, with media attention easy to access, predator flyfishing has gone into overdrive, websites being started on a regular, seemingly, non stop basis, the company advertising on the programme have aquired anglers as Ambassadors with them promoting their tackle, some with experience, but others starting off with basic knowledge.
One of the company's new rod Carbo/Graphene model, retails at an amazing £900, I queried the rod's price on a website, an ambassador stated that the rod was designed for certain anglers ?? I said who might that be then, no reply?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

nigel savage wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 13:36 -

You are right there Dave, with media attention easy to access, predator flyfishing has gone into overdrive, websites being started on a regular, seemingly, non stop basis, the company advertising on the programme have aquired anglers as Ambassadors with them promoting their tackle, some with experience, but others starting off with basic knowledge.
One of the company's new rod Carbo/Graphene model, retails at an amazing £900, I queried the rod's price on a website, an ambassador stated that the rod was designed for certain anglers ?? I said who might that be then, no reply?
It'll be anglers who like people to know how much money they can waste. Like the Leica owners in the photography world! :laughs:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

What rod is that.....I'm a fool easily parted with folding paper....
Seriously one " built in the USA" fly rod had an rrp of just under £700. Shop staff got a 50% discount...clearly still making. When they enquired how much the rod cost to produce it was £90....they rolled their own carbon and built in house....how much could they save building in the far east??? Obviously the 25 year no quibble guarantee was factored into the rrp.
Sage lifetime warranty was said to bankrupt the original owner.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

JohnCopeman wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 13:47 -
What rod is that.....I'm a fool easily parted with folding paper....
Seriously one " built in the USA" fly rod had an rrp of just under £700. Shop staff got a 50% discount...clearly still making. When they enquired how much the rod cost to produce it was £90....they rolled their own carbon and built in house....how much could they save building in the far east??? Obviously the 25 year no quibble guarantee was factored into the rrp.
Sage lifetime warranty was said to bankrupt the original owner.

It may be a Vision John, seen a rod mentioned of late for that price.
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

JohnCopeman wrote: Wed Mar 17 2021 13:32 -
30th isn't it??
Mrs C always asks why I have the sound on when it's sub titles....
Well I did learn the Swedish for " Twenty Twenty".
30th yeah. :thumbs: Didn't watch too much of it in previous years but I'll give it a go this year.