Lure placement photos by sponsored anglers

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Lure placement photos by sponsored anglers

Post by JoeNickel »

I think this is the worst/most obvious example I've ever seen. Are we supposed to think it was landed like this?

From a pro Swedish angler on Insta, to promote a new Buster Jerk colour.

Screenshot_20210412-102905_Instagram.jpg
(Also a great pic for the flouro-fans - that trace looks pretty shredded)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Lure placement photos by sponsored anglers

Post by alan behenna »

We are seeing this Blatent "in-yer-face" product placement more and more, used to it by now though, mostly by so called "pro" anglers (read sponsored) and your general Muppet.

Seems they are more interested in showing a lure off than a good fish.

:laughs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Seems legit to me. The pike obviously wanted the sponsored lure soooo much, it clamped on and wouldn't let go, even though it wasn't hooked!! :clown:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

It's only a promo shot....and the Lure does look lovely.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

The state of that fluoro πŸ™ˆ
JohnCopeman wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 11:10 -
It's only a promo shot....and the Lure does look lovely.
I wonder how many shots were taken at different angles and with different lures and hats, jackets, etc. Its just cringey as hell and doesnt make me want to buy the lure.
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Sadly plenty will still fall for it and dodgy flouro leaders.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

DaveGreenwood wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 11:37 -
Talking of the leader, have a close look at the first two inches from the clip! :eek: Dodgy leader material indeed :no:
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 12:37 -
DaveGreenwood wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 11:37 -
Talking of the leader, have a close look at the first two inches from the clip! :eek: Dodgy leader material indeed :no:

I spotted the damage Steve, some so called Pike anglers simply don’t give a s**t.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Almost appears to be a condition of being sponsored by any Scandinavian tackle company that you must at all times use fluorocarbon when fishing for pike. Even blokes from Ireland and UK, where there is no tradition of fluorocarbon leaders, are all over YouTube using it because of tie ups with either Savage Gear or Westin.
Michael Bruton
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Isn’t that what caused the fall out on the original pit
Pike and predators were well known for it
That Perkins !!! πŸ˜‚
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

JoeNickel wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 10:32 -
I think this is the worst/most obvious example I've ever seen. Are we supposed to think it was landed like this?

Does look as if the lure has been wedged in there :shrug: nice picture, as it shows people how s**t the FC leader is :afraid:

I have a much better picture of some handsome fella with a Buster Jerk in a pike's chops - no fakery here :cool:

Piking Plonker
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Carlperkins wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 17:50 -
Isn’t that what caused the fall out on the original pit
Pike and predators were well known for it
By Original pit u mean the p&p forum ? I wasnt around for the fallout but was to do with members not being able to criticise their sponsors etc. Was the final nail to do with product placement like this ?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 18:03 -

Does look as if the lure has been wedged in there :shrug: nice picture, as it shows people how s**t the FC leader is :afraid:

I have a much better picture of some handsome fella with a Buster Jerk in a pike's chops - no fakery here :cool:

You wont ever convince me that that pike in the first post was caught on that lure. I could be wrong but I dont think that pike took such a large lure far back enough to cause that damage to the fluoro like that.

Then it begs the question, did they continue fishing with it that badly damaged :afraid:

Also cant see a pic in your post
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 18:15 -
Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 18:03 -

You wont ever convince me that that pike in the first post was caught on that lure. I could be wrong but I dont think that pike took such a large lure far back enough to cause that damage to the fluoro like that.

Then it begs the question, did they continue fishing with it that badly damaged :afraid:

Also cant see a pic in your post
Yep, I make you right on that - it's clearly been shoved into its chops. As I have often said, I did use FC leaders for a very brief period many years ago and found they get nicked up very quickly and you have to keep changing them or risk a bite off. I saw no advantage to using them and to give any kind of defence against teeth, you need to use quite thick diameters - which are in fact very visible, which kind of shoots down the theory that you'll catch more pike as they can't see the leader - not that I think a pike will be put off taking any lure due to seeing a leader - my catch rates didn't go up or down when I tried them, so that experiment came to a swift conclusion. Titanium wire beats it hands down.
Piking Plonker
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

It's entirely possible that the fish in the pic damaged that leader. You're assuming that the lure was hit from behind and engulfed tail first, but that's not how it happens every time. If that lure was engulfed head first, which happens often enough, an even smaller fish could have its teeth on the leader.

Obviously the pic was set up, but my point is that any pike could bite you off if they get their teeth on fluoro and it doesn't require a huge fish.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 21:14 -
It's entirely possible that the fish in the pic damaged that leader. You're assuming that the lure was hit from behind and engulfed tail first, but that's not how it happens every time. If that lure was engulfed head first, which happens often enough, an even smaller fish could have its teeth on the leader.

Obviously the pic was set up, but my point is that any pike could bite you off if they get their teeth on fluoro and it doesn't require a huge fish.
Fair point Steve. I'd still put a wager on my theory though :giggle:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

I’d be more concerned with the size of those trebles
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Nige Johns wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 21:45 -
Maybe 2/0s? I can't see any cause for concern there :shrug:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 21:49 -
Nige Johns wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 21:45 -
Maybe 2/0s? I can't see any cause for concern there :shrug:
Nor me, the trebles look spot on. I have 2/0's on all my Busters, so I'd say you're right Steve.
Piking Plonker
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

It's way better than some of the 'placement' photos used to promote a certain worldwide brand of lures in the 1990s.

There was a spate of impossible 'action' close-ups, supposedly of the very instant the fish broke surface upon 'hitting' the bait.

I saw one on a UK magazine cover once - a pike and lure in perfect focus, but water spray blurred by movement.

Of course the pike was in perfect focus - because it was dead! If you looked very closely, you could actually make out the glass rod supporting its head! :roll:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
frankcarty
Roach
Roach

Post by frankcarty »

aw I've seen a lot worse, at least that lure is actually attached to a trace!

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

frankcarty wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14 2021 16:12 -

:boing:
Mac McPherson
Roach
Roach

Post by Mac McPherson »

It's all b******s I tell eheeee....since lure fishing was capable of being photographed! Piking prostitutes mainly.....sponsored by particular lure related companies...pieces of eight, pieces of eight.... :laughs:
Standing by for incoming.... :exit:
brendan taaffe
Perch
Perch

Post by brendan taaffe »

frankcarty wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14 2021 16:12 -

Rediculous Frank. That pike is so easily identified with that scar to its upper jaw.

Is that fish dead? :scratch:
Brendan Taaffe.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Oh wow - she's claiming to have caught the same massive fish on three different lures :eek:

It might be dead - it does look kinda saggy. Proper clonker though.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

One guy on Facebook is always getting those perfect hookups :laughs: It's incredible.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

To be fair to some people, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things if they genuinely caught the pike on the lure. When I was field testing lures and writing reviews, I'd occasionally unhook the pike - then hang the lure I caught it with from the chops - very obvious to anyone I would have thought that it wasn't hooked like that. Debatable practice in some people's opinion, but in some ways, I'd rather see a fish photographed like that, i.e. after it has been unhooked :shrug: It's the people photographing pike with lures they didn't catch them on that's the real issue in question - clearly that goes on a fair bit and isn't cricket, as it is misleading potential buyers. I think if you want to see how effective certain lures are, watch a video or ask someone who isn't sponsored.

As far as the Buster Jerk goes - it doesn't need any promoting IMO, it's one of those lures that just works and I suspect most people will have several in their collection - even last week, whilst working my way round a big, clear pit - half the pike I caught came to a fire tiger sinking Buster, despite chucking quite a range of baits, that was definitely the lure getting the most interest - mainly as it can be cast a good distance, holds its depth, responds well to different retrieves and has a very decent rattle. Hook-up rate and build quality is excellent too. Firmly one of my go to jerk baits.
Piking Plonker
Sean Roberts
Roach
Roach

Post by Sean Roberts »

First thing should be to unhook the Pike and make sure it's ok, if your more interested in leaving the lure in the fish then you haven't got it's best interest at heart, just my thoughts.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Fri Apr 16 2021 15:07 -
As far as the Buster Jerk goes - it doesn't need any promoting IMO, it's one of those lures that just works and I suspect most people will have several in their collection - even last week, whilst working my way round a big, clear pit - half the pike I caught came to a fire tiger sinking Buster, despite chucking quite a range of baits, that was definitely the lure getting the most interest - mainly as it can be cast a good distance, holds its depth, responds well to different retrieves and has a very decent rattle. Hook-up rate and build quality is excellent too. Firmly one of my go to jerk baits.
Agreed. They're one of the few plastic glidebaits that have remained a must-have lure for me over the years. The shallow version is brilliant at this time of year too, working down to about a foot or so, with a very slow rise on the pause with the right combination of hooks and split rings :thumbs:
fisherman
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fisherman »

fossil-fish wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12 2021 15:51 -
Even blokes from Ireland and UK, where there is no tradition of fluorocarbon leaders, are all over YouTube using it because of tie ups with either Savage Gear or Westin.
Yeah Im seeing loads using flouro these day for pike not many using wire for lure fishing at all, and your made out to be a fool for recommending wire to them and telling them fluro is bad :shrug: