Fishing where there are pike

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
commieboy257
Stickleback
Stickleback

Fishing where there are pike

Post by commieboy257 »

Bit of a strange one but say for instance you want to fish a stretch of river for perch with a lure or a spoon but pike live there is it acceptable to take the chance of hooking a pike in the summer months?
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Fishing where there are pike

Post by Mark Phillips »

No issue there at all. Any pike you get, just get them back quickly, which is easy enough when lure fishing. I do much the same thing - have a stretch of river that I occasionally fish for chub on lures in the summer evenings - it's got decent flow and is well oxygenated - occasionally I get a pike or two, zero issues. I don't target pike in warm water, but if I get the odd one chasing other species, it's not a big deal if you're quick to get them in and release :thumbs:
Piking Plonker
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by MANO »

I do a lot of lure fishing for chub and perch in the summer on a small river and canal. If I'm honest, I catch as many pike, but generally nothing massive.

I was out for an hour yesterday evening trying to temp a chub on a small crank at dusk....had 3 pike of about 1lb, no chub.

The thing is, I was targeting chub where pike are present, and caught pike instead. Not a lot you can do about it really.

Take the precautions Mark has mentioned and you'll be fine.

A light wire leader won't do you any harm either if the pike population is high.
commieboy257
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by commieboy257 »

thanks fellas, I was planning on using a light wire trace so all is good!
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I'd add, I've found small soft plastic shads and smaller curly tailed worms are much more selective for perch, especially in fluorescent orange and motoroil. One can more easily target perch with better lure choice.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

It's pretty much unavoidable, just release it asap and don't p**s about taking pictures.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Daniel wrote: Thu Apr 22 2021 09:46 -
It's pretty much unavoidable, just release it asap and don't p**s about taking pictures.
Or weighing. I regularly see on FB "caught this pike today, 5lb 10oz" or whatever. If it's your first pike I can understand weighing a jack, but after that... :scratch:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Apr 22 2021 11:41 -
Daniel wrote: Thu Apr 22 2021 09:46 -
Or weighing. I regularly see on FB "caught this pike today, 5lb 10oz" or whatever. If it's your first pike I can understand weighing a jack, but after that... :scratch:
Very true, I never bother weighing pike in summer, just enjoy the scrap, unhook in the water if possible, make sure it's recovered and let it swim away.
You'll catch bigger fish in winter anyway.