Knipex cutters

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Knipex cutters

Post by Danoutdoors »

Need some new cutters for trebles, pretty sure these are the ones to get tho not sure what size is best to go for? The 200mm ones? any ideas? Thanks
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Knipex cutters

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Yes the 200mm are the most popular :thumbs:
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 20:27 -
Yes the 200mm are the most popular :thumbs:
Legend thanks
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Yep , the 200 mm ones are what I have , they do the job just fine !
Pat
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

royboy wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 21:48 -
Yep , the 200 mm ones are what I have , they do the job just fine !
Pat
Top man, I’m by far a fan of buying the right thing first time, thanks
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

You can get decent pair of pliers and a hook and wire cutter for the same price.
The Maun Needle Nose Side Cutter - Fisherman's Plier (on eBay) will cut a 2/0 easily enough (tested mine) or the better version https://www.maunindustries.com/pliers-t ... re-125-mm/ (took a 1/0 out of my thumb with mine)
Both have parallel jaws that make and easy job of pulling up a knot, even in braid.

Made in England.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Mike J wrote: Thu Jun 24 2021 00:55 -
You can get decent pair of pliers and a hook and wire cutter for the same price.
The Maun Needle Nose Side Cutter - Fisherman's Plier (on eBay) will cut a 2/0 easily enough (tested mine) or the better version https://www.maunindustries.com/pliers-t ... re-125-mm/ (took a 1/0 out of my thumb with mine)
Both have parallel jaws that make and easy job of pulling up a knot, even in braid.

Made in England.

Cheers Mike, wasn’t impressed with maun pliers when I bought some a few years ago, I’m sure they do some good stuff but the ones I had were utter crap, I’ve ordered some knipex ones.

As for made in England I’d be surprised, I expect they just put them together over here to be able to make that statement, could be wrong tho 🤷‍♂️
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

I love the knipex cutters, cut anything we use with one hand and that is important.

Pick of the bunch are the Knipex Compact Bolt Cutter - Cobolt 71 01 200 they have the thinner less bulky handle covering.

There are a longer set now, Knipex 71 01 250 250 if you need the extra length. One can simply extend the standard by using two bits of pipe.

Simply put nothing comes close to them for ease and speed of cutting.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Thu Jun 24 2021 12:07 -
I love the knipex cutters, cut anything we use with one hand and that is important.

Pick of the bunch are the Knipex Compact Bolt Cutter - Cobolt 71 01 200 they have the thinner less bulky handle covering.

There are a longer set now, Knipex 71 01 250 250 if you need the extra length. One can simply extend the standard by using two bits of pipe.

Excellent, music to my ears that 👍
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

'Tis all true.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I use the 71 01 200, can’t fault them
Bit of a bargain at present on Amazon,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knipex-CoBolt- ... th=1&psc=1
TeranceT
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TeranceT »

Danoutdoors wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 19:46 -
Need some new cutters for trebles, pretty sure these are the ones to get tho not sure what size is best to go for? The 200mm ones? any ideas? Thanks
Knipex every time.
Anything else is second best and money wasted.
It was Snap-on in our workshop until Knipex filtered in many year's ago.
As above 200mm
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Jobs a goodn thanks fellas 👍
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

I’ve got th sold ET yellow handle ones,been brilliant when needed,but probably can’t ge them new anymore
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Nige Johns wrote: Thu Jun 24 2021 17:40 -
I’ve got th sold ET yellow handle ones,been brilliant when needed,but probably can’t ge them new anymore
Yea I have them, great cutters just not very handy and easy to put exactly where you want them quickly if your accidentally hooked to a pike or something, I’m hoping these knipex ones will be a bit more nimble. 👍
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Danoutdoors wrote: Thu Jun 24 2021 10:13 -

Made in England.

Cheers Mike, wasn’t impressed with maun pliers when I bought some a few years ago, I’m sure they do some good stuff but the ones I had were utter crap, I’ve ordered some knipex ones.

As for made in England I’d be surprised, I expect they just put them together over here to be able to make that statement, could be wrong tho 🤷‍♂️

They are defiantly made in England Dan, Kev B served his toolmaking apprenticeship with them and he's been around since Adam was a boy :grin:

In the USA where almost every angler has a pair English made Maun pliers they are sold under the Sargent brand, the reason for their popularity is the parallel action gripping and their abilty to cut anything.

Go back to Maun with your problem pliers, their customer support is faultless.

Owner of Maun pliers x 3 and wire cutters x 2 (no 3).

Last edited by Mike J on Sat Jun 26 2021 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Thu Jun 24 2021 12:07 -

Agreed. When new, mine would cut braid! :eek: They won't now, but they still chop any hook :thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Made in England.

Agreed, Maun aren't great and I've never liked the way they construct their products, British engineering ain't what it was I guess. Knipex for me too. Been using their tools for donkeys, total quality... the 71 31 200 is the cutter I use when lure fishing. Goes through any treble like a hot knife through butter and they go on for ever, well unless you drop one over the side of the boat that is :hissy:
Piking Plonker
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 10:12 -

Made in England.

Agreed, Maun aren't great and I've never liked the way they construct their products, British engineering ain't what it was I guess. Knipex for me too. Been using their tools for donkeys, total quality... the 71 31 200 is the cutter I use when lure fishing. Goes through any treble like a hot knife through butter and they go on for ever, well unless you drop one over the side of the boat that is :hissy:
What do you mean British engineering ain’t what it was Mark :suspect: I fear the the good o’ll days of the Austin Allegro ain’t coming back :lol: The Germans build things like Tiger tanks and Knipex pliers. Britain does have some good products but they rely on British labour........ try getting a Lumby rod built !! :rasp:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 10:29 -

Made in England.

What do you mean British engineering ain’t what it was Mark :suspect: I fear the the good o’ll days of the Austin Allegro ain’t coming back :lol: The Germans build things like Tiger tanks and Knipex pliers. Britain does have some good products but they rely on British labour........ try getting a Lumby rod built !! :rasp:
It's the Scousers that are the weak link in the rod building chain!
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I thought you only did the writing at the end 😂
That Perkins !!! 😂
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Carlperkins wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 18:17 -
I sacked the varnish monkeys years ago. :grin:
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

😝
That Perkins !!! 😂
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

davelumb wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 19:32 -
Or did they walk out in protest at the lack of hobnobs
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Nige Johns wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 20:28 -
davelumb wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 19:32 -
Or did they walk out in protest at the lack of hobnobs
They demanded more bananas so I f****d 'em off. :guns:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Jun 26 2021 10:29 -

Made in England.

Exactly that mate - some sectors accepted, like motorsport and robotics... where the UK still leads the way.

Rod building hardly qualifies as engineering though. As to Lumby's rods - I own a few, totally top notch IMO :rock:
Piking Plonker
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by MANO »

Steve Moore wrote: Thu Jun 24 2021 13:34 -
I use the 71 01 200, can’t fault them
Bit of a bargain at present on Amazon,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knipex-CoBolt- ... th=1&psc=1
Thanks for the link Steve :thumbs:

Ordered a pair on Saturday and they've just arrived.

Well worth the extra few quid over the alternatives.

Just hope I dont lose the buggers :roll:
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

Interesting comparison between side cutters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bnqFwA ... rojectFarm