The price of spinners and hard lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

The price of spinners and hard lures

Post by Taffypiker »

Maybe I have been away too long but blimey they are pricey !

4 , 5 or 6 quid !

The DAM effzett are £ 1. 99 and good patterns but don't do bigger sizes than 6 g

Of course mepps and abu droppens are quite restrictive
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: The price of spinners and hard lures

Post by Steve Dennington »

You can make your own quite easily. It probably wouldn't work out cheaper, but it means that you can make whatever size/style you want.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Nothing wrong with a tablespoon drilled and fitted with trebles
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

There is everything wrong with that if you want a "Spinner".
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
G4zza
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by G4zza »

What ever you do don't take up Bass lure fishing if you think those are expensive!
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

G4zza wrote: Sat Sep 04 2021 15:43 -
What ever you do don't take up Bass lure fishing if you think those are expensive!
Lol I don't intend to
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Bass fishing, same as any form of lure fishing, doesn't need to be expensive, but you can certainly make it so!
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

After your initial investment, lure fishing is very cost effective as long as your not chucking them into trees most trips are cost free.
Compare that to the match boys who spend a fortune on maggots, hemp and ground bait for the winter league matches on the drains.
Then of course the big carp boys are piling £100 of boilies for a weekend.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Pikerd74 wrote: Sun Sep 05 2021 14:08 -
After your initial investment, lure fishing is very cost effective as long as your not chucking them into trees most trips are cost free.
Compare that to the match boys who spend a fortune on maggots, hemp and ground bait for the winter league matches on the drains.
The rivers I fish are snaggy and weedy in places but have some good glides , the stillwaters, if the club allows you to fish among the carp experts , less so
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

A bit of an exaggeration there. £100 of boilies for a weekend :laughs: That's around 20kg of boilies :roll: Even on some runs waters I've fished where you're primarily getting 20's and above, you'd never use that. If you really need a lot of bait, you use particles... anyway, as to lure fishing, it's just the same as any other form of fishing - you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be :shrug:
Piking Plonker
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Sep 05 2021 17:03 -
A bit of an exaggeration there. £100 of boilies for a weekend :laughs: That's around 20kg of boilies :roll: Even on some runs waters I've fished where you're primarily getting 20's and above, you'd never use that. If you really need a lot of bait, you use particles... anyway, as to lure fishing, it's just the same as any other form of fishing - you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be :shrug:
I dunno have you added up how much one of the Korda spod mixes they seem to show you how to make every episode of whatever series it is. They must have £100 in a bucket. 😄
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

10kg of krill active equals £100 got to use the most expensive bait the carp know the difference you know 😂
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Slug wrote: Sun Sep 05 2021 18:01 -
I dunno have you added up how much one of the Korda spod mixes they seem to show you how to make every episode of whatever series it is. They must have £100 in a bucket. 😄
spoke to a carper today and he had fired in 40 quids worth of bait and boilies just today..... and he was there for 2 days
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Sep 04 2021 22:21 -
Bass fishing, same as any form of lure fishing, doesn't need to be expensive, but you can certainly make it so!
you only need a float and a live mackerel or big sand eel cheap as chips that way ...... :thumbs:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Sep 05 2021 22:14 -
Slug wrote: Sun Sep 05 2021 18:01 -
spoke to a carper today and he had fired in 40 quids worth of bait and boilies just today..... and he was there for 2 days
Each to their own but I don't enjoy that waiting game

Since returning to coarse fishing I enjoy predator fishing . Carp , Tench , Bream , Roach , Rudd and Dace are all lovely fish but I like the hit of a strike from a pike , perch , chub etc
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Price is what the market will stand and is often brand driven. Isxa home made spinner any better or worse than a branded one? Let the fish decide
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Oldskoolfool wrote: Thu Sep 09 2021 08:43 -
Price is what the market will stand and is often brand driven. Isxa home made spinner any better or worse than a branded one? Let the fish decide
Depends how well it works. It's an incredibly simple design and you'd think it was hard to get it wrong, but it isn't! The trick is in getting the blade going as soon as your retrieve begins. You'll notice that Mepps and other quality spinners get going straight away, but if things aren't quite right on a homemade you might need to retrieve a few feet or give it a rip to get the blade going.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Sep 09 2021 09:37 -
Oldskoolfool wrote: Thu Sep 09 2021 08:43 -
Depends how well it works. It's an incredibly simple design and you'd think it was hard to get it wrong, but it isn't! The trick is in getting the blade going as soon as your retrieve begins. You'll notice that Mepps and other quality spinners get going straight away, but if things aren't quite right on a homemade you might need to retrieve a few feet or give it a rip to get the blade going.
This exactly what happens with cheap spinners. Have bought a few over the years, often in little sets, that just either refuse to spin or start half way back. False economy really as good spinners aren't exactly expensive to begin with.
Michael Bruton
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

I think 3 and a half quid for a spinner is expensive myself

I am surprised that companies have not come in and undercut mepps and droppen brands

DAM do the effzett for two quid which are good but not in any sizes over 6g
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

the most i have paid per lure, is £40, BUT..they are bloody good, i've seen what tends to hit them and i'm more than happy to pay the price for them.
also..not everyone is throwing £40 lures around, i'm adamant it can give an advantage over other lures, specially where they see lures regulary
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

£40 did not know thay can be that expensive, but if it works worth every penny
Timothy edwards
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

horseshoe3 wrote: Sat Sep 11 2021 12:47 -
Miuras mouse to be exact. i personally really rate them
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Lures are only expensive if you have to replace them - or if they catch nowt.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Check out the Axia range, they do copies of stuff like the Xorus Patchinko at nearly a quarter of the cost!
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

davelumb wrote: Sat Sep 11 2021 12:51 -
Lures are only expensive if you have to replace them - or if they catch nowt.
That's true, the most expensive ive paid is £11 for a creek chub pikey, the first one was great had a few doubles then
I lost it , second creek chub could not get a thing on, was strange, exact same 6 inch perch pattern,
Timothy edwards
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Ratty46 wrote: Sat Sep 11 2021 12:47 -
A mate of mine recently lent me one. And I’ve had 4 fish to 19lb 12 on it, I think they are superb lures.
I was about to order one for £38 and Tracey said “You are not buying one of those unless you buy me one as well”. So just cost me £74 for a standard and a mini mouse :laughs:
Last edited by Steve Moore on Sun Sep 12 2021 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

I shall check them out, cheers,
Timothy edwards
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Steve Moore wrote: Sun Sep 12 2021 08:23 -
A mate of mine recently lent me one. And I’ve had 4 fish to 19lb 12 on it, I think they are superb lures.
I was about to order one for £38 and Tracey said “You are not buying one of those unless you buy me one as well”. So just cost me £74 for a standard and a mini mouse :laughs:
they good aint they! can fish them various ways, and they are very different to what the pike may see alot of..

i love them mate, a mate had a loverly 24 on on last season, and that was after it follwed but wouldnt hit other lures, it hit one of these first time..wallop!

i have 3, one dark colour, one light, and a mini 20cm one, it hurts spending that on a lure, but they are worth it imo

order one and keep stum :laughs:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

:thumbs:
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Sep 04 2021 22:21 -
Mmmmmmmm yes