If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Spinner size for perch , jacks , chub , trout

Post by Taffypiker »

One of the rivers I fish has a nice head of the above

I fish with a size 3 , 6 g blade spinner as an all round compromise

I have some bigger bladed spinners to 12 g for the bigger fish but find this size is about right

Have had some tiny perch and trout on these though , barely bigger than the spinner
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Re: Spinner size for perch , jacks , chub , trout

Post by fossil-fish »

For perch and trout I prefer a size 2. Size 1 if distance isn't an issue. I find a size 3 pulls back a bit to much on very light gear.
Michael Bruton
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Taffypiker wrote: Fri Sep 03 2021 23:15 -

I have some bigger bladed spinners to 12 g for the bigger fish but find this size is about right

Have had some tiny perch and trout on these though , barely bigger than the spinner
have been taking perch on all sizes at the moment , but find a 10g size good for all fish you mention .
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Sep 04 2021 10:08 -
Taffypiker wrote: Fri Sep 03 2021 23:15 -

have been taking perch on all sizes at the moment , but find a 10g size good for all fish you mention .
They don't seem to do firetiger patterns in the 10 g sizes which is a shame
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

fossil-fish wrote: Sat Sep 04 2021 08:16 -
For perch and trout I prefer a size 2. Size 1 if distance isn't an issue. I find a size 3 pulls back a bit to much on very light gear.
What do you mean , it's bad for the fish ?
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I rarely use spinners these days. I much prefer ultra lite plugs for the above species.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Taffypiker wrote: Sat Sep 04 2021 11:48 -
??????? Seriously confused.

You must be reading a different post. I never said anything about spinners being bad for fish, just mentioned the sizes I prefer and use most. Generally when targeting these species I am using very light gear. I find the size of spinners you mentioned, size 3 and bigger, offer to much resistance on light rods.
Michael Bruton
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

fossil-fish wrote: Sat Sep 04 2021 16:10 -
Taffypiker wrote: Sat Sep 04 2021 11:48 -
??????? Seriously confused.

You must be reading a different post. I never said anything about spinners being bad for fish, just mentioned the sizes I prefer and use most. Generally when targeting these species I am using very light gear. I find the size of spinners you mentioned, size 3 and bigger, offer to much resistance on light rods.
No I read your post I just asked what you meant by pulling back ? I thought you meant the spinner was too big and sort of dragged the smaller fish back towards the angler

But you have explained in your last sentence that by pulling back you meant the larger spinner size of 6g means on light lines and small rods that the spinner bends the rod tip too much and has too much pull through the water on light tackle ?

I think I got that right ? ✅
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by MANO »

Taff, If your rod is light enough (min 2g casting weight), I’d recommend the micro frogs from ffs lures for chub.

Fish them rigged with a size 6 or 4 crazy fish round bend hook from AGM. Don’t bother with weights, just cast them in, keep the rod tip high and twitch them sub surface.

I’ve had some proper lumps this summer doing this in swims where I can’t get a bite on a spinner.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

MANO wrote: Sun Sep 05 2021 17:17 -
Taff, If your rod is light enough (min 2g casting weight), I’d recommend the micro frogs from ffs lures for chub.

Fish them rigged with a size 6 or 4 crazy fish round bend hook from AGM. Don’t bother with weights, just cast them in, keep the rod tip high and twitch them sub surface.

I’ve had some proper lumps this summer doing this in swims where I can’t get a bite on a spinner.

5 to 15 is my 7 foot rod , think I am driving a tank !