Are ‘regional lures’ a thing?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
old_school
Roach
Roach

Are ‘regional lures’ a thing?

Post by old_school »

Weird phenomenon, I do really well on midlands rivers with big lures like burts and wolftails but despite many attempts, never caught a broads pike on a burt yet! Fish size locally is compatible to the broads, plenty of smaller fish with occasional big girls. I’ve done well on soft plastics and hard plugs on the broads but struggle on local waters with them! The strange world of fishing eh 🤪
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Re: Are ‘regional lures’ a thing?

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Regional differences are probably down to what ever is the staple diet of those pike, or what lures are often or over used. They will obviously be accustomed to certain sizes, shapes, colours etc from whatever the main species is their food or lures they generally come into contact with.
Tbh, this can vary as much from water to water just as much I think !
I have waters within walking distance where Roach patterns rule on one and perch on the other, again probably down to whatever the abundant food source is.

Obviously, nothing is ever written in stone and they will at times ignore these patterns for garr’ish firetiger, limetreuse or hot tiger !?! I’ve never seen anything swimming that looks like that so explain that one ???

I suppose that’s what makes it interesting………….
(or frustrating :laughs: )
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”