Short Rods!?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Short Rods!?

Post by Pinkie »

Started reorganising my rods last night and came across an Ugly Stick that a friend brought back from the States. It's about 3'9" and by far my shortest lure rod. Question is, how's best to use this rod from a boat, as I'd like to try it out for chub and perch!?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Short Rods!?

Post by Mike J »

Pinkie wrote: Wed Dec 01 2021 13:19 -
Started reorganising my rods last night and came across an Ugly Stick that a friend brought back from the States. It's about 3'9" and by far my shortest lure rod. Question is, how's best to use this rod from a boat, as I'd like to try it out for chub and perch!?
Use it with a flutter jig, start with fishing straight up and down, short slowish lifts, fast drop, take half a turn and repeat. Casting near structure and allowing it to flutter way can be deadly as can holding steady in a strong flow.
Don't strike just hold on tight, the fish will hit the lure hard enough to hook itself.

The ideal jig weight is one the just bends the tip, if you dont have anything suitable PM me your address and I will send you something.
Jigging is my game. My shortest jiggjng rod is 5ft.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Cheers! I thought jigging might be the best way to use it, just wasn't sure. I've plenty of jig heads and soft plastics etc. thanks, and have just ordered some more. Might make some jig flies as well.

There's several deep weir pools I fish, up to 30' deep, so your approach may well be great for catching those bigger pike and perch that lie on the bottom in deeper water this time of year.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I've also a 6' Ugly stick so I'll probably use that to jig in the weir pools for bigger pike.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Sounds like an ice fishing rod to me Pinkie? :shrug:

(For vertical jigging, rather than casting).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

John Milford wrote: Thu Dec 02 2021 13:23 -

Apologies, I was thinking of another friend from the States. This rather short Ugly Stik was bought in Australia. I suspect its for jigging and short range casting from a boat!

So probably not an ice rod, but you could use it as one no doubt!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Pinkie wrote: Thu Dec 02 2021 16:45 -
John Milford wrote: Thu Dec 02 2021 13:23 -

Apologies, I was thinking of another friend from the States. This rather short Ugly Stik was bought in Australia. I suspect its for jigging and short range casting from a boat!

So probably not an ice rod, but you could use it as one no doubt!
Ice (jigging) rods are a little shorter. It's what you do with it that counts :laughs:

Piking Plonker
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i bought a very short rod for the grandson for catching mackerel..... and small bait fish some people call them kayak rods very short rods indeed ......good for catching sand eels
sometimes a rod is not needed a hand line would suffice....in bait catching :thumbs: