Mixing rod/reel or just combos

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Tony68
Stickleback
Stickleback

Mixing rod/reel or just combos

Post by Tony68 »

I don’t know why but I really prefer to use combo set ups, same name brands, however best set up I used for all round was a grays stalker 9’ With a shimano something 10000, just fitted me well, caught me all sorts of fish too..
Do you mix and match or just buy combo set ups.
What’s you favourite set up you own ..
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Mixing rod/reel or just combos

Post by peteren »

I've accumulated about 7 luring setups for cw ranges from 3 - 100+g; 5 f/s (all Shimano); 2 bc.
They're all balanced and I enjoy variety in my fishing and setups, so each one feels a favourite in turn!

No interest in matching brands or looks; just how they feel and perform.

But reckon I could cover most situations with just 3 of them...
Peter Newman
bacon
Roach
Roach

Post by bacon »

Sounds very tarty to have everything matching to me....

Match the rod, reel and line for the job at hand rather than worrying whether your Daiwa rod would look wrong with a Shimano reel...
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Buy a rod that's does the job and feels just right in your hand.
It doesn't matter if the rod costs thirty quid or three hundred, as long as its right in your opinion.
Then add the right reel and by that I mean right weight, right gear ratio and holds enough of the line diameter you intend to use.

Combos are always a compromise so rarely the best option for any situation.
Tony68
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Tony68 »

Great replies, TBH I don’t really go into the mathematics or expertise, just enjoy catching fish, usually with the most simple methods.
I’m not totally dedicated, but can’t stay away 🤣, turned to pike fishing as it’s a fish I've never caught till I actually targeted them, now I’ve had quite a few, nothing massive, max 9lb ish
Tony68
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Tony68 »

Totally agree Daniel, it’s a compromise but affective for the beginner, obviously if I stayed and dedicated to pike look for much better options, for now it simply produces fish..
Tony68
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Tony68 »

Bacon, it’s not a worry if mine, it’s just if the reel matches the rod, maybe it’s well suited for some not so knowledgable as you..
I’m no expert in pike fishing or shopping in a fully stocked shop, so my cheap combo has introduced me to pike fishing, these fish are great to catch..
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

My lure rods and reels are a bit like swans - they pair off for life!

I can't remember the last time I took a reel off one of my rods to put it on another.

I'm a bit like that with all my bait rods too to be honest. I pair them up with siutable reels and have them ready to just grab and go - usually it sets of three: 9ft, 10ft and 12ft, depending of the type of water I'm going to.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Tony68
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Tony68 »

You’re so right with the just grab and go statement John, I love it, when we decide to go it’s just a rucksack, l net, l mat around l net handle, rods set up already, just open the boot 6’6” rod straight through back seats and go.
Great stuff
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Tony68 wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 12:48 -
You’re so right with the just grab and go statement John, I love it, when we decide to go it’s just a rucksack, l net, l mat around l net handle, rods set up already, just open the boot 6’6” rod straight through back seats and go.
Great stuff
It was something I picked up from Des Taylor. He has all his gear sorted into various 'ready to go' bags and holdalls, for different waters and species.

(The tackle industry must love him - he's cost me a fortune over the years with that damned idea! :roll: :laughs: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Tony68
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Tony68 »

Great stuff 👍😂
bacon
Roach
Roach

Post by bacon »

Tony68 wrote: Fri Dec 10 2021 11:31 -
Bacon, it’s not a worry if mine, it’s just if the reel matches the rod, maybe it’s well suited for some not so knowledgable as you..
I’m no expert in pike fishing or shopping in a fully stocked shop, so my cheap combo has introduced me to pike fishing, these fish are great to catch..
I know nothing! But I see what you're saying and can see why a combo would seem a sensible choice when starting out.

I misunderstood and thought you were referring to the tackle tart approach to kit. Where everything must match etc, but I see this is not what you were referring to! I think I'm far too easily irritated at the moment.... :)
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

I buy a rod or a reel that takes my fancy

Then I must buy either a rod or reel that takes my fancy that goes with aforementioned, or I sell one.

This is a revolving door of gear. I had been quite good until Black Friday then I had a meltdown and bought a couple of rods, so sold a couple of bits.

Then I saw a nice reel and now I’m rod shopping again, and so the cycle continues…

Problem I have is fishing four or five very different venues, for perch and zander, and with different styles. Ned rig rods are not the same as crank bait rods, or dropshot rods, and then do I want casting or spinning depending on whatever whimsy is going through my mind ( I have a shoulder issue which means fixed spools can cause me a problem, but less of a problem than wind and baitcasters…)

Multiply that over species and venues and for gods sake someone stop me!
James Dobie.
Tony68
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Tony68 »

Some great replies, also thanks bacon for yours…👍