I am amazed the wire trace message isn't getting through but then .....

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: I am amazed the wire trace message isn't getting through but then .....

Post by Carlperkins »

Gord thought it was great 🙄
That Perkins !!! 😂
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Dec 16 2021 20:16 -
Take a length of FC and pull it back and forth over a pike's chops - ding. Thanks for playing and good night :handshake:
spot on mark....... if you have not been bit off you have been lucky ....stanley knife if not sharper pikes teeth ......you wouldn't put your fingers in there mouths would you ... :shrug: :shrug:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Carlperkins wrote: Thu Dec 16 2021 20:44 -
Gord thought it was great 🙄
remember talking to gordy at an angling fair , about fc leaders , he did say that he had been bit off when he was using them in the states ....think it was when he first tried them ...
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Think that sounds about right
Wasn’t it Canada
That Perkins !!! 😂
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I have just read an account of the Grafham 'World Predator Classic' by Thom Hunt in the latest edition of Lure Angler

I can now understand why he is 'Lure Angler of the Year' - He's on a whole other level.

Not the level I want to be on though. That entire competitive lure fishing scene is an anathema to me.

It's not in my world - not the reason I go fishing in a million years! :neutral:

Fair play to him though, he's on top of that game.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Sat Dec 18 2021 02:59 -
I have just read an account of the Grafham 'World Predator Classic' by Thom Hunt in the latest edition of Lure Angler

I can now understand why he is 'Lure Angler of the Year' - He's on a whole other level.

Not the level I want to be on though. That entire competitive lure fishing scene is an anathema to me.

It's not in my world - not the reason I go fishing in a million years! :neutral:

I don't read that stuff in Lure Angler. I've no idea how big a 34cm fish is for one thing and the whole match fishing thing is of no interest.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

davelumb wrote: Sat Dec 18 2021 10:08 -
John Milford wrote: Sat Dec 18 2021 02:59 -

I don't read that stuff in Lure Angler. I've no idea how big a 34cm fish is for one thing and the whole match fishing thing is of no interest.

Aye its oh that's a nice jack , about 5 pound , back he goes

34 cm ?

Ff sake
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Carlperkins wrote: Fri Dec 17 2021 21:09 -
Think that sounds about right
Wasn’t it Canada
sure it was canada carl ....... rings a bell what a character gordy is .......
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I reckon a lot of it is “look at me, arn’t I cool, quirky and modern using this taboo leader material!”.
Most using it probably haven’t done any research or testing of the material, just copying their favourite “YouTube Piker”.
Not that I claim to have done tests on my wire (except pull tests when making my traces), but I think the combined experience of most respected pikers on here and who have been published is testament enough for me (plus a bit of common sense).
Like I said to the Cat-Link lads, tooth “resistant” is the best you’re gonna get with these materials. If you want tooth “Proof”, it’s got to be wire !
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
muncherpike
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by muncherpike »

I subscribe to the "if aint broke don't fix it" way of things, have lure fished for over 50 years using wire traces, mostly Terry Eustace Crocodile Cable, QED 28lb wire and most recently AFW Surfstrand 30lb titanium and still get takes off of perch around 2ozs and plenty of chub of all sizes so obviously the wire doesn't put them off, and this is often in clear gravel pits and rivers.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

The problem I think is simple- FC has been promoted soon much that actually its use as a trace has become a accepted truth despite all of the contrary information or experience. For many the Internet is the only source of truth. Wire is the only way and is actually promoted as the best choice in some US musky books I have.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

muncherpike wrote: Sun Dec 19 2021 13:45 -
I subscribe to the "if aint broke don't fix it" way of things, have lure fished for over 50 years using wire traces, mostly Terry Eustace Crocodile Cable, QED 28lb wire and most recently AFW Surfstrand 30lb titanium and still get takes off of perch around 2ozs and plenty of chub of all sizes so obviously the wire doesn't put them off, and this is often in clear gravel pits and rivers.
28 pound wire doesn't put off 2 oz perch ?

Blimey
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

For my general spinning in a river that contains perch , trout , chub and Jack pike in the areas I fish I use 13 pound spinner traces from agm

If I fish the wider deeper areas of the river and the pits and pools where there are low doubles I use 20 pound traces
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I do think that there's a big difference between using fluorocarbon for perch and zander, whilst hoping not to catch pike, and deliberately using it as a leader for pike fishing.

The proviso of the above is that that there are no trebles involved. In my opinion, using wire for a 1" dropshot lure on a size 4 single hook is daft. It spoils the presentation and you get so few pike on dropshot that its barely an issue at all. I've hooked more pike on legered lobworms, whether static or when reeling them in.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Dec 21 2021 12:41 -
I do think that there's a big difference between using fluorocarbon for perch and zander, whilst hoping not to catch pike, and deliberately using it as a leader for pike fishing.

The proviso of the above is that that there are no trebles involved. In my opinion, using wire for a 1" dropshot lure on a size 4 single hook is daft. It spoils the presentation and you get so few pike on dropshot that its barely an issue at all. I've hooked more pike on legered lobworms, whether static or when reeling them in.
The Internet appears full of anglers using fc on canals and rivers and they are catching a lot of pike and it's this that new anglers are seeing and thinking ....oh right
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 21 2021 14:28 -

The Internet appears full of anglers using fc on canals and rivers and they are catching a lot of pike and it's this that new anglers are seeing and thinking ....oh right
For the life of me I can't see the advantage of using FC in a muddy canal. The perceived advantage is surely lost :scratch:

I only use fluoro/mono on very light dropshot rigs with a small single hook (normally a maximum of size 4) and lures of 1" to 2". It's a very simple finesse tactic (palomar knot and small weight on tag end) that wire makes incredibly clumsy. However, I appreciate that there are people out there using fluoro with lures bearing two trebles and, in my opinion, that's where the line is crossed and pike are put at unnecessary risk :no:
giantlureguy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by giantlureguy »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Dec 21 2021 14:38 -
Taffypiker wrote: Tue Dec 21 2021 14:28 -

For the life of me I can't see the advantage of using FC in a muddy canal. The perceived advantage is surely lost :scratch:

I only use fluoro/mono on very light dropshot rigs with a small single hook (normally a maximum of size 4) and lures of 1" to 2". It's a very simple finesse tactic (palomar knot and small weight on tag end) that wire makes incredibly clumsy. However, I appreciate that there are people out there using fluoro with lures bearing two trebles and, in my opinion, that's where the line is crossed and pike are put at unnecessary risk :no:
There are advanatages to thick fluro over metal.

it doesint kink and it easier to knot than metal. This means your leaders will last longer than a metal leader, assuming it does not come into contact with a pike tooth (moronic idea, yeah? hoping your pike leader does not have to deal with pike teeth).
whizzwales
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by whizzwales »

For the price of wire traces on amazon, i think 100 is under £10. Even two good titanium ones a ft each in length is about £5. I love my lures, I dont want to see the lure go missing!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I think that's a very valid point you make, as the lures are tiny with very small singles. Hard one to call, when perch are being targeted on the method, FC is the way to go. I have a few mates who fish like that and they're not noddies. Thing is though, pike do take those tiny lures. I've mentioned it before that a pal of mine had an upper 20 fishing with me when he was p*****g around on his drop shot set-up. But then I've seen quite a few 'oops moments' (bite offs) from people jigging for zander or on the DS for perch. I don't use the method myself and still jig fish with wire for zander, probably giving myself a slight disadvantage, but hey, if a big pike comes along, I'll land it (and have). So, I think one thing is clear, deliberately targeting pike with FC is stupidity. As an aside, a pal of mine saw someone dead baiting with traces made from FC on a certain trout water we can name - Chew. Beggars belief.
Piking Plonker