Rusty spoons!

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Rusty spoons!

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Hi Pitsters

I have a couple of Lucky Strike Lizard spoons in silver/gold finish that appear to be rusting!

Given them a polish with fine wire wool & Brasso which has helped.

My only assumption is that they are made of plated steel not brass

The only solution I can think of is a paint job
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Rusty spoons!

Post by Mike J »

A bit of clear epoxy or varnish will do it.
Better still use Araldite, warm the spoon up and it will smooth out better. Its tooth proof as well :smile:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Does it retain that blingy shine though Mike? Got a few tarnished Lizards myself too.
Love the hit!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Tue Jan 11 2022 21:21 -
Does it retain that blingy shine though Mike? Got a few tarnished Lizards myself too.

Pends what you call shine?
Those Ive down went down 10-15% but Im no fan of shiny things for pike anyways.

Try it and see, you can always scrape it off of its not what you want.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jan 11 2022 10:29 -
A bit of clear epoxy or varnish will do it.
Better still use Araldite, warm the spoon up and it will smooth out better. Its tooth proof as well :smile:

Just saw this - use araldite :knife: It doesn't dry clear and certainly doesn't like water. Great advice that :roll:

If you want to polish spoons to get a mirror like finish, which 100% will catch you more pike - if they're rusted or really dirty, first clean them up with sanding sponges, progressively using smaller grits, then polish using Autosol. Nothing can touch that to get a mirror finish.

If it's a re-paint, then sand down to the metal, grey or white primer from a rattle can, then paint either using rattle cans or an airbrush - coat with epoxy that's waterproof and dries clear, such as Envirotex - pour on and let it drip-dry near a warm heat source, e.g. a radiator. All very easy to do... and to create stripes use masking tape, for scales - lay an old landing net mesh over the surface.
Piking Plonker