Jagermaster
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Why do you prefer Lure fishing ?

Post by Jagermaster »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Jan 15 2022 21:02 -
Steve Le maitre wrote: Tue Jan 11 2022 19:54 -
Jagermaster wrote: Tue Jan 11 2022 14:08 -
Coz I'm lazy and I can troll a big spread and cover a lot of water. Saying that. I'm gonna try dead baiting this summer.
Lazy ? If you’re Trolling correctly and tending to everything as you should - you should be as busy as a Cat trying to bury his crap on a frozen pond.
100% spot on - if you're on point, trolling lures is bloody hard work most of time.

Why lure fishing? To be honest, I enjoy bait fishing just as much - depends on what I want to do... sometimes nothing beats sitting behind the rods on a big pike water waiting for the bobbin to clank the rear rests... funnily enough, today of all days (bloody freezing), I chose to have a day off the baits and lure fished a couple of big pits... and had a good day I might add :grin:
I only troll two rods. Once I've put them out and clipped on the planner boards. It's just a matter of following a predetermined route around the lake.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Jagermaster wrote: Fri Jan 21 2022 06:42 -
Coz I'm lazy and I can troll a big spread and cover a lot of water. Saying that. I'm gonna try dead baiting this summer.
Lazy ? If you’re Trolling correctly and tending to everything as you should - you should be as busy as a Cat trying to bury his crap on a frozen pond.
100% spot on - if you're on point, trolling lures is bloody hard work most of time.

Why lure fishing? To be honest, I enjoy bait fishing just as much - depends on what I want to do... sometimes nothing beats sitting behind the rods on a big pike water waiting for the bobbin to clank the rear rests... funnily enough, today of all days (bloody freezing), I chose to have a day off the baits and lure fished a couple of big pits... and had a good day I might add :grin:
I only troll two rods. Once I've put them out and clipped on the planner boards. It's just a matter of following a predetermined route around the lake.
I only troll with two as well, sometimes just one. But we're talking very different worlds I suspect - where I am fishing the depths constantly change and you're navigating bends. moored boats, pulling up for anglers on the bank, stopping to cast at features... very busy fishing and that's before you get takes to deal with. Conversely, if I was on a big open water, I probably would be sat back, watching several rod tips wagging as I plough the water. I've always found that rather boring, despite the fact I've had some big pike fishing like that. Horses for courses :grin:
Piking Plonker
Jagermaster
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jagermaster »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Jan 21 2022 20:10 -
Jagermaster wrote: Fri Jan 21 2022 06:42 -

I only troll with two as well, sometimes just one. But we're talking very different worlds I suspect - where I am fishing the depths constantly change and you're navigating bends. moored boats, pulling up for anglers on the bank, stopping to cast at features... very busy fishing and that's before you get takes to deal with. Conversely, if I was on a big open water, I probably would be sat back, watching several rod tips wagging as I plough the water. I've always found that rather boring, despite the fact I've had some big pike fishing like that. Horses for courses :grin:

Exactly the case. :thumbs:
sylvanillo
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by sylvanillo »

First, because with a bike, my Speedmaster XH and its Stradic 2500, I can cross the whole city and move from water to water, fishing for pike or perch or chub or trout.

I can park my bike anywhere, and I can fish seated on the bike following a towpath.

I only need the rod and a backpack.

In a single 3-hour session, I can adjust to the weather conditions. In one session I can do a stream, a backwater, a stretch of the canal and a stretch of the river. On a cold winter cloudy day, I know I'll start with pike on shallow backwaters using slow big lures (zam-z, zalt, jointed x-rap etc). Should it not work, I will move to deeper, snaggy streams using soft Sandra on a cochard weight.
If it becomes sunny, I will quickly move to a lock, where I wait until a boat comes out to use a ondulating spoon or soft lure: perch fiesta!

It it is variable, but not too cold or windy, I will move to catch zander.

In a word, I find it's quite suitable to unpreditable weather and execrable roads and car parking.

And if I'm feeling social, I can move to the city centre where I will talk to people.

Secondly, because when fishing for pike which is a relatively sedentary fish, cycling and walking will make me closer to fish compared to a seat-and-wait approach.

I remember when I moved to the Uk, those sessions on the thames banks, backwaters or around locks, the gravel pits around stanton, linear etc, where I would visit for a moment, then catch perch and pike in front of amazed static anglers.... and move to the next water.

And third, because fishing is freedom and how would I feel free after a whole work week if on Saturday I must carry 100 kilos of gear to a river bank to then seat and wait?
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

For me, it's a mixture of things. The "hit" when a fish attacks the lure, the infinite number of species you can target, the fact I can use my same lures in both fresh and salt waters and.. the exercise to a degree too! :lfc: But the main one - it gets me exploring places quickly, love nothing more than exploring new waters!! :clap:

My general approach when weather warms is to arrive early at a water, lure fish it to get a good topography of the water. During my way round a lake, I will normally spot the best place to set up for some bait fishing (yes, on those 10 sunny warm days a year, I like to relax :gulp: :laughs: