Blanking on canal

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Blanking on canal

Post by Carpkingpike »

Hi guys
Been out 6 maybe 7 times this year on a local canal, only had 1 hook up which I lost. Beginning to lose a bit of motivation for it now. Whose got any tips to help me put 1 on the bank to keep the motivation up? It's a large deep canal, clearish water. Anything to break the blank 😭
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Re: Blanking on canal

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Firstly I'd recommend fishibg shorter sessions at key times (dawn/dusk) and focus on targeting features such as overhanging tree/reed beds/marina/bridges as this is where the prey fish will congregate and so the pike.

I also cover quite a lot of water often walking as far as I can be bothered and fish back to the car. A break with a hot drink helps I find.

In terms of lures I do reasonably well on small/med shads on jigs spinner baits/spoons but also carry a couple of alternatives such as small jerks , crankbaits etc
If if is deep then fish low n slow down your bank and across.

Also try the morning remote stretches as often urban areas can be quite pressured these days.

Finally keep the faith - you will catch
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

On my local canal I've never found that large or even medium lures work that well at all and most of my canal pike have come to spinners worked low in the water and as slow as can be. My favorite being a black blade with yellow dots
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Definitely agre with the above...if you are losing motivation, concentrating your efforts at key times is best! :thumbs:

My experience, no pro, only been actively chasing perch 3 years and pike 1yr, but most of that has been canals this last year, so hopefully sharing some of it will be useful to you.

I have found in canals I fish, in the winter at least, if a cold night before and cold night ahead the fish are more active in the morning, so aim to be there for 6-6.30. Conversely, if it has been mild in evenings, I have found these to fish well too. But to be clear, not that well on cold spells in evening, though still more active than during the middle of the day. The canals I usually fish are quite clear too.

With regards to lures - depends on your target. I tend to aim for decent perch/small jack, so I can only share what works for me. I am sure I am not the best, but I do catch and blanks are rare ..unless I am fishing wrong time of day! :cool:

I am rigged light (1-10g 7ft rod, 2500 reel, 8lb line, 0.21m titanium trace, mostly 2-5gram Cheb/Jika rigs).

The canals I fish are quite weedy, with very little to no boat traffic at all, even in summer, so I tend to fish weedless 2-3.5in soft plastics, normally hop-stop or hop-hop-stop or any variation of number of hops before a pause. The stops sometimes as much as 10-15 seconds. Vary it, don't get sucked into a pattern, make yourself be the lure. You have to try and imagine it how it works in the water and how it is looking like a dying fish, or a worm/creature trying to to bury itself/get away/hiding for cover. That is most of the fun of it, finding out what they want on the day! :scratch: :tongues:

How do I tackle a stretch I don't know? over the last year I have found that I tend to start at pauses of about 1-3secs, to allow quite a rapid movement and search to find fish. I tend to fish with buoyant plastics, just makes me feel more confident when I leave the long pauses, though sinking plastics work just as well. Also, I feel I don't have to change to a dropshot as can keep things as slow and varied as I need...sipping a tea whilst occasionally turning the reel is a great way to catch whilst warming up! :tea:

Sometimes they want it faster, sometimes slower, varying both on the same retrieve will soon help you understand what they are preferring. If they want faster, I do switch to normal jig heads and rip the lure, as in winter at least, I can stay above the debris and weed. But I have found this to the exception rather than the rule in winter.

No rocket science in my comments, hope you appreciate I am no pro...but hopefully some of the above can be useful food for thought until more esteemed and experienced anglers join your thread :cheers:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Carpkingpike wrote: Tue Mar 08 2022 08:45 -
Hi guys
Been out 6 maybe 7 times this year on a local canal, only had 1 hook up which I lost. Beginning to lose a bit of motivation for it now. Whose got any tips to help me put 1 on the bank to keep the motivation up? It's a large deep canal, clearish water. Anything to break the blank 😭

Large pike fly on a jig head ... fished slowly and then occasional stripping it
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

Thanks guys some really good pointers in there, would you recommend an hour before work a couple of days a week or a few hours on the weekend to better understand what's going on?
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Carpkingpike wrote: Tue Mar 08 2022 14:36 -
Thanks guys some really good pointers in there, would you recommend an hour before work a couple of days a week or a few hours on the weekend to better understand what's going on?
I would say an hour before work is worth a couple of goes - if not the right time, then go the weekend! :grin: :laughs:
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Probably not the best time to start,they’ll be looking to spawn soon which always makes them difficult to catch generally. give it about a month or you’ll just get more frustrated and disallusioned
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

MarkBerrisford wrote: Tue Mar 08 2022 19:28 -
Probably not the best time to start,they’ll be looking to spawn soon which always makes them difficult to catch generally. give it about a month or you’ll just get more frustrated and disallusioned
Good point that.
Maybe recce- walk or bike miles of the canal to find where pike or “match” anglers are catching then focus there.
Peter Newman
0ddball
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by 0ddball »

What lures have you been using? I bought all the popular (and expensive) ones you see on the YouTube channels but tbh, on the canal I have caught 90% of my fish on a white/yellow 2.5" kopyto shad on a 3g jig head. It's a good all rounder and will catch Perch as small as your finger up to Pike as big as any you're likely to find in a canal.

I'm no expert but I find canals are challenging to figure out. I've found spots where I have caught dozens of perch every trip then suddenly it goes dead, not a fish in sight and they never return. People say fish the features, yet you can spend all day casting around boats and locks for nothing, then catch a decent fish from the middle of a barran featureless stretch. Others seem to find pike holding areas yet I rarely catch one from the same spot twice, catches seem completely random. Also something that gets overlooked, unless you are there at the crack of dawn, there's always a chance someone has fished that area to death a few hours before you got there.

One thing that is certain, your chances of catching something improve massively as the weather warms up.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andrew Croft wrote: Tue Mar 08 2022 12:26 -
On my local canal I've never found that large or even medium lures work that well at all and most of my canal pike have come to spinners worked low in the water and as slow as can be. My favorite being a black blade with yellow dots

Same with me.
A smallish spinner that will spin even at a slow speed and on the drop and be prepared to loose a few.
If its clear remember the fish can see many times better than you.
Learn how to read the canal so you can find the boat road and how best to fish it because that is where the majority of the fish will be.
Keep moving, think nothing of walking 5-8miles in a day.

Think of the fish first if its a choice of a glory photograph or a fast release before your fish is seen by someone else.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Carpkingpike wrote: Tue Mar 08 2022 08:45 -
Hi guys
This is obvious - but are you sure there are numbers of pike for you to catch? Different canals have very different pike populations...
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

It's a large deep canal, clearish water.
This makes it trickier than a shallow, narrow canal.

I fished a canalised river that was deep and clear with little flow many years back and it wasn't easy. Lures that worked mid-water and deeper were useful in the winter, shallow fished lures better in autumn. Fishing around features like lock gates, bridges etc was a starting point that produced some success. Anywhere that the canal narrows up would be worth a look.
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

Cheers guys alot of useful tips, I'm lucky to have the large canal and a smaller shallow canal within 10 minutes, would I be better of fishing the smaller of the 2 this time of year? Hoping to get an hour or so tomorrow morning if the kids don't get up before me again 🤣
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

If the pike are there, easier to find in smaller shallower venues.
Peter Newman
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

Carpkingpike wrote: Wed Mar 09 2022 18:26 -
Cheers guys alot of useful tips, I'm lucky to have the large canal and a smaller shallow canal within 10 minutes, would I be better of fishing the smaller of the 2 this time of year? Hoping to get an hour or so tomorrow morning if the kids don't get up before me again 🤣
If you find a way of having the kids wake up after you on a consistent basis, please do share - wayyyyyy more useful info than fishing! :sleep: :laughs:

Jokes aside, I would fish the shallower venue too. Apart from bridges and structure, if you find a stretch of canal that has dying reeds on both sides of the canal, I would focus my efforts there :thumbs:
TidalD
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TidalD »

Canal pike are a funny creature.. I have walked miles following bait shoals / find these and the pred’s aren’t far behind, I usually fish a dead bait and leapfrog these, or search the water with a decent sized lure, 6/8” . I’ve had repeat captures a day or so in between and 4 miles apart, huge amounts of water to hide in, and if they’re getting lots of pressure then they’ll move. I know people say find the structure and you’ll find fish, don’t rule out shopping trolleys, fridges etc as it sounds daft but I’ve had fish from inside these as they provide great structure and camouflage. You could also try baiting a few areas with chops and see if they disappear.
Also take only a few lures, couple of shads, spinner bait, and a decent jerk, start your retrieve quickly and keep searching at graduation of depths, stand well back from the sides, keep the retrieval at a constant and good luck. 👍
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

As a excessive lure changer I've whittled my box down to a couple of spinner baits and a couple of Shads in preparation to get out tomorrow morning for a couple of hours and search out the smaller canal. The missus has said to get out early even if the kids are playing up 😁. This thread has bought back a good bit of mojo even if I haven't caught yet! Thanks again guys
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

I’ve found that the more lures you buy and pike you catch, the fewer you realise you need.
Peter Newman
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

Got down to a nice spot first thing this morning, chuck a few casts about only to be surprised by a bloody great otter! Would you avoid this area and move on? Other than that a pleasant morning with one bite which I dropped on a spinner bait
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

I don't know much about fishing around otters, but I imagine if you caught one it would be quite the fight...and then you'd have to take the hook out of the angry thing :afraid:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Carpkingpike wrote: Tue Mar 15 2022 08:31 -
Got down to a nice spot first thing this morning, chuck a few casts about only to be surprised by a bloody great otter! Would you avoid this area and move on? Other than that a pleasant morning with one bite which I dropped on a spinner bait
Yes, I'd be moving on to another area.
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

How far would you move? Never seen one before! Quite an impressive sight but I certainly wouldn't want to hook it
Stephen246
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Stephen246 »

Although I personally haven't seen any on our local canal I have been told they are definitely present and what should you do if you catch one as it would be like trying to unhook a very angry dog
TidalD
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TidalD »

Carpkingpike wrote: Tue Mar 15 2022 22:02 -
How far would you move? Never seen one before! Quite an impressive sight but I certainly wouldn't want to hook it
I’d ask other anglers if they have seen it. This will give you an idea of how far it’s travelling, whether it has a family etc, you might have to up sticks as dog otters become territorial I believe?
Carpkingpike
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Carpkingpike »

Other anglers a mile or so down the canal say there is a family there, although that stretch is not on my ticket, I can go a long way the other way, is 2/3miles enough?
TidalD
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TidalD »

Carpkingpike wrote: Thu Mar 17 2022 19:45 -
Other anglers a mile or so down the canal say there is a family there, although that stretch is not on my ticket, I can go a long way the other way, is 2/3miles enough?
I think it depends, trouble is they aren’t scared of human contact, and with no natural predator they are free to roam. 2/3 miles go try it you can only try. Good luck and tight lines
0ddball
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by 0ddball »

It depends which way you look at it. You could say the fish aren't 2-3 miles away, they are there. That's why the otter is there.

I've never come across one, just mink.