Tackle boxes

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Tackle boxes

Post by Rammer223 »

Looking for couple of each 3500 & 3700 any recommendations fit in Rapala backpack I’ve just purchased thanks in advance lee
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Re: Tackle boxes

Post by Rammer223 »

Ordered some Plano ones in 3500 size if any good will get some 3700 rust whatever they call it don’t know how much difference the rust thing will actually make
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Worth a try I’ve got one or two the rust boxes think u can buy stick on blocks to stick inside normal boxes too. Found a load of jig heads with rusted hooks this week. Fox ones dunno how that happened never had it before. Good few quids worth I bet They just been in a box at home for a few years.
barnsy
Roach
Roach

Post by barnsy »

I'd be interested to know how they work out. VCI tech sounds like it could be ace for long term storage of lures, but I'm not sure about opening the box repeatedly to wet the lures and put them back in.
Best rust prevention I've found in terms of tackle boxes was to drill a hole in them all so they can dry out (may require bringing lure box in the house at certain times of year).
I don't really get the 'waterproof' lure box idea. If you're going to wet the outside (say if it rains), and wet the inside (by using the lures)....how does it being waterproof help?
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

I always dry out lures before storage, else of course you'll get rust on hooks. All my lures are stored in clear Plano boxes or in Easy Storage boxes. You can get the deeper Plano 3700 from Amazon and eBay and the Easy boxes - well, the 9L version would you believe has the same dimensions as a 3700 Plano, albeit it is obviously deeper. I just put hook covers over the trebles or even remove them on some lures, thus avoiding a tangled mess. Simple really and all lures, as with all my gear, is stored in the house. Sheds are for lawn mowers and spiders, not fishing gear.

Piking Plonker
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

A clothes horse is good for dying out lures after a trip.
Just don’t fall into it! 😣
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Slug wrote: Sat Mar 26 2022 00:42 -
A clothes horse is good for dying out lures after a trip.
Just don’t fall into it! 😣
If I'm on the bank, I use a lure bucket, so the lures are usually dry by the time I have driven home, else I just hang them from the window sill above the radiator - once the cats have gone to bed of course.
Piking Plonker
Cookie94
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Cookie94 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Mar 25 2022 22:00 -
I always dry out lures before storage, else of course you'll get rust on hooks. All my lures are stored in clear Plano boxes or in Easy Storage boxes. You can get the deeper Plano 3700 from Amazon and eBay and the Easy boxes - well, the 9L version would you believe has the same dimensions as a 3700 Plano, albeit it is obviously deeper. I just put hook covers over the trebles or even remove them on some lures, thus avoiding a tangled mess. Simple really and all lures, as with all my gear, is stored in the house. Sheds are for lawn mowers and spiders, not fishing gear.

Where you getting your hook bonnets mate? Only decent ones I can find in the bigger sizes are the savage gear ones and they’re not cheap for what they are like.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Cookie94 wrote: Thu May 05 2022 17:06 -

Where you getting your hook bonnets mate? Only decent ones I can find in the bigger sizes are the savage gear ones and they’re not cheap for what they are like.
Those are from Harris Angling and were cheap as chips. They work with treble sizes 1/0 to 4/0. I bought a few hundred of them about 20 years ago and they're the best I've seen. Doubt you'll find them anywhere now I'm afraid.
Piking Plonker
Cookie94
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Cookie94 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu May 05 2022 23:35 -

Those are from Harris Angling and were cheap as chips. They work with treble sizes 1/0 to 4/0. I bought a few hundred of them about 20 years ago and they're the best I've seen. Doubt you'll find them anywhere now I'm afraid.
Ok mate cheers
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Daiwa do some good hook bonnets.
Used lures go into a cut down milk container, keeps them in one place for drying. As above I also remove the hooks when I change lures.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Cookie94 wrote: Fri May 06 2022 14:24 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Thu May 05 2022 23:35 -

Ok mate cheers
Ignore Agent J and his milk container :dizzy:

Rather than pay through the nose for branded hook covers, there are quite a few eBay sellers offering much the same covers as I use. Looks like you can get a couple of hundred for not too much and in larger sizes :thumbs:
Piking Plonker
Cookie94
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Cookie94 »

Niceone, I’ll have a look an see what I can find