Suggestions for perch lure rod, please

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Suggestions for perch lure rod, please

Post by Gary Coggon »

I’m after a really long-casting 5-20 g rod for perch lure fishing, please. Length up to 7’

My Shimano Beastmaster 2.1ML (6’8”, 5-20 g) has served me very well for perch (and chub) for years but I keep coming across the need to add a good few metres to the cast. I’m no expert on blanks but I sense it’s a simple case of a reasonably-priced rod meeting it’s limits, perhaps needing a combination of more power and a faster action. It doesn’t seem to really load, feels wooden when pushed hard and requires a lot of effort. Although I realise extra length will help, I’m limiting myself to 7’ for the sake of weildyness.

Lightest lure I use is 6 g (Mepps Aglia size 3) and normal heaviest is 22 g (4.5” Sandra on 10 g jighead), occasionally stretching to a 24 g swimbait.

All ideas gratefully received.
Gary Coggon
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Suggestions for perch lure rod, please

Post by peteren »

What braid are you using?
Slick, coated braid may add more distance than rod.

Mind you, Berkley Fireline added distance - but snapped like cotton!
Peter Newman
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

What lures are you using and how far can you cast?
You'll struggle to add much distance with any rod of 7' as it's not long enough to add much leverage compared to your current rod.
What braid and reel size are you using, both can make a very significant difference to casting distance.

Are you sure the rods at its limits or is it simple aerodynamics taking affect? Lures in general don't cast that well as most will tumble through the air.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Thanks, both. I’m going to go longer on the rod, 8’, and keep the old, shorter one for chub/overgrown riverbanks. Although I’ve used PowerPro for years and can’t fault its toughness and utter reliability, I’m open to trying a slicker one (assuming there is such a thing) at next reload. Spiderwire Stealth Smooth? Other?

Thanks again. Gary
Gary Coggon