The Lure Anglers Society Lure Fair

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

The Lure Anglers Society Lure Fair

Post by Graham Benyon »

Anyone attending?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Re: The Lure Anglers Society Lure Fair

Post by Steve Moore »

No
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

I spend enough money on lures when I know what I want ..going to the fair would mean taking a loan out! :boing:
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Bit early in the day for an AGM ?
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

We'll be there with a good selection of lures if anyone wants to pop by and say hello 👍
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I enjoyed helping Bill on the secound hand stall at the last one held at Rickmansworth. Top man is Bill, I didn't know about this one and I assumed obviously wrongly that the LAS were still current as it were. But I'll be fishing on that day, I hope the vendors have a few through the door and earn a few quid.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

royboy wrote: Thu Apr 28 2022 21:19 -
Presumably to get it out of the way before the event begins, so that people don't need to hang around for too long afterwards. Some will have long journeys to make.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Apr 29 2022 11:41 -
royboy wrote: Thu Apr 28 2022 21:19 -
Presumably to get it out of the way before the event begins, so that people don't need to hang around for too long afterwards. Some will have long journeys to make.
……..or a long ferry ride from Ireland :grin:
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Yes, looking forward to it. Always a good show.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

A good turn out yesterday? Did my mate John Copeman wind anyone up?
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Monts wrote: Sun May 22 2022 10:47 -
Not a bad turn out but not in the numbers compared to Rickmansworth. John only winds folk up online so it’s a safe day out !
I spent just over £250.00 so all in all a cheap day out :narfuk:
Great to see so many old faces again.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun May 22 2022 11:05 -
Not a bad turn out but not in the numbers compared to Rickmansworth. John only winds folk up online so it’s a safe day out !
He is quite agreeable in the flesh is John. :grin: Joking aside he has a heart of gold, and helped many out with free gear over the years!
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Monts wrote: Sun May 22 2022 14:33 -
Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun May 22 2022 11:05 -
He is quite agreeable in the flesh is John. :grin: Joking aside he has a heart of gold, and helped many out with free gear over the years!
I would second that, generous to a fault is John.

Will.
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

We had a great day, nice to meet Steve, Will and John in person, probably some others without knowing, hard to know who everyone is!

I'd say with a bit more advertisement a good while in advance it could pull a lot more people but suppose its hard to get everything confirmed. A few of the bigger traders had to pull out as well so hope all is well with them. Alll in all a good day made great by the people there 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.eplures.com
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

I was in the corner Akios/Preloved Predator Tackle. :cool: I probably met some of you without knowing. :grin: I did purchase some EP lures though even though I had strict instructions from her who must be obeyed to not bring more fishing stuff home :laughs:
There were periods of the day when we were quite busy although I have to say it was mostly second hand stuff that we were selling and I don`t think the LAS second hand stall did the traders any favours but that maybe just because the attendance was quite low. I think the attendance was around 150 which is apparently only 60% of what they had 4 years ago. Maybe it`s time for the PAC and the LAS to do a joint show and share the costs?
Sean Roberts
Roach
Roach

Post by Sean Roberts »

Met the boys from EP lures and had a good chat with them. The lures they make are awesome looking and once the season starts I'll try the couple I bought from them, they came in a really nice box and are well presented. Thank you lads. Sean Norfolk
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Sean Roberts wrote: Mon May 23 2022 16:52 -
Met the boys from EP lures and had a good chat with them. The lures they make are awesome looking and once the season starts I'll try the couple I bought from them, they came in a really nice box and are well presented. Thank you lads. Sean Norfolk

Didnt know you were on here mate! Nice to meet you and chat about the joys of boating 🤣 really appreciate the comments, i hope they find you a few later in the year!

www.eplures.com
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Graham Benyon wrote: Mon May 23 2022 15:00 -
I was in the corner Akios/Preloved Predator Tackle. :cool: I probably met some of you without knowing. :grin: I did purchase some EP lures though even though I had strict instructions from her who must be obeyed to not bring more fishing stuff home :laughs:
There were periods of the day when we were quite busy although I have to say it was mostly second hand stuff that we were selling and I don`t think the LAS second hand stall did the traders any favours but that maybe just because the attendance was quite low. I think the attendance was around 150 which is apparently only 60% of what they had 4 years ago. Maybe it`s time for the PAC and the LAS to do a joint show and share the costs?

Lewis said he had a good chat, i didn't put two and two together Graham! I'm in early tomorrow to sort those for you and Lew will get them painted up. Technically you didnt bring them home anyway :boing:

I think a joint one would be a great idea. Suppose the question of what time of year would be best though. It Would be interesting if the speakers could possibly be in the same hall as the traders, no idea if that can be done but might make it more inclusive, who knows. There's definitely scope to grow the shows, I'm sure of it

www.eplures.com
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

I’m not sure why the LAS would ever want to join up with the PAC with their short sighted outdated ideas and constant problems they cause for Lure Anglers!!!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Ian Crook wrote: Tue May 24 2022 20:03 -
I’m not sure why the LAS would ever want to join up with the PAC with their short sighted outdated ideas and constant problems they cause for Lure Anglers!!!
AHH but I bet they would consult rank and file members concerning donations to 'Team England' something the LAS committee didn't do four years ago. :stir:
craig RA99
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by craig RA99 »

Not sure what outdated ideas and constant problems they cause Ian could you please explain, thanks.
VOTE UKIP
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

craig RA99 wrote: Thu May 26 2022 08:37 -
Not sure what outdated ideas and constant problems they cause Ian could you please explain, thanks.
At a guess, the good old wire vs. fluoro/mono debate. PAC got involved in discussions with Anglian Water a few years ago and the end result was that AW made wire mandatory for predator fishing. Then zander anglers spat their dummies because they thought they'd catch fewer zander with wire and the rule was revoked.
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu May 26 2022 08:57 -
craig RA99 wrote: Thu May 26 2022 08:37 -
At a guess, the good old wire vs. fluoro/mono debate. PAC got involved in discussions with Anglian Water a few years ago and the end result was that AW made wire mandatory for predator fishing. Then zander anglers spat their dummies because they thought they'd catch fewer zander with wire and the rule was revoked.
Yes I'd have thought that fish welfare was the main issue, mainly summer piking on unsuitable venues and the wire trace debate.
Both of which have been proved correct time and time again to those that don't wear rose tinted Savage Gear sunglasses.
I was there on the PAC table, over the day we had countless conversations with LAS members regarding the possibility of a joint event, including the perch fishers, ZAC and CCG. I personally think there could be mileage in such an event but I feel the problems would be more logistical than back biting.
I'm a member of both and we had quite a few membership renewals from others who are happily in both.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

A joint PAC/LAS 'do' On the one side a load of bearded kewl kids, hats back to front using the word dude every 30 second.

On the other.

A load of mackeral smelling, nicotine stained fingers, generally agresive, hate the world and social media old men.

Could be a fun day out. 🤔
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

“I find it so annoying to go and cast lures using wire traces!
To think I use and carry an unhooking mat around with me the extra weight pisses me off. :yours:
I’m sure I read it in the constitution that if casting lures I need to wear fancy dress so I stand out and not look like a masterbait fisher! But hey I can always fish in Europe with the cool dudes using Boga grips so my hands are clear of all those teeth, showing off the latest fad lure ideally placed,
Holding the pike out like a shotgun :cool:
the sponsors will love me for my use of #fluorocarbon as its on point for their Insta”
^^^^
NOT

RO-08 doing one’s best to unite our region, all predator anglers welcome we don’t cause a divide amongst anglers in our region, that sort of attitude is so last year! :roll:
But I don’t think a joint venture would make much change other than for the stall holders, as lure angling covers so many species.
After all it’s down to the members/Anglers to make these special events worth doing for all concerned. So many PAC members don’t bother going and by the sounds of it it’s the same with the LAS.
Carp shows on the other hand are like Mr Milford spotting a Heddon Tiger in a tree. He will get to it via hell or high water :laughs: :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

Monts wrote: Thu May 26 2022 13:01 -
A joint PAC/LAS 'do' On the one side a load of bearded kewl kids, hats back to front using the word dude every 30 second.

On the other.

A load of mackeral smelling, nicotine stained fingers, generally agresive, hate the world and social media old men.

Could be a fun day out. 🤔
I'm afraid the Kekl Kids were on their playstations last Saturday or wanking to the latest knob on YouTube telling you how easy it is to catch wasps , the old twonks far outweighed them
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

My suggestion was mainly from a logistical view point to share the cost of a venue surely politics could be put aside for once? There would also be an opportunity to have more vendors on board, I see a lot of "names" didn`t attend the LAS event and just maybe members would actually out number non members! I think the count on members V non members at the LAS event was fairly even on what was a poor turnout. I didn`t see you Ian, where you there?
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Far too many asumptions made nowadays I'd say. You can't tell people how to fish, just as you cant tell people to change their ways. You can, offer your point of view and let them choose tho..... maybe having some other disciplines there would be better for everyone? I love all aspects of fishing and find there's crossovers in various disciplines. I spoke to young and old anglers at the weekend and not once did i ask how when or why do you fish, we just talked about fishing, boats, making lures and general s***e. All really positive, dont think there were any that were negative.

Both clubs i would say are in slightly troubled times. No place for exclusive attitudes. We're all fishermen and when any form of politics takes over from that people will leave and probably not return. We need to come together as a sport, not move further apart, or is that just me?

www.eplures.com
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

It's been mooted many times in the past to hold a combined conference/convention but always been rejected by both sides. The main reason, I think, being that the lure anglers wouldn't be interested in the bait fishing talks, and the pike anglers wouldn't be interested in (say) a perch drop-shotting talk. This could impact on attendance all round. I stopped attending the LAS shows when they became more focused on catching bait fish other species than pike. The interest wasn't there for big lures and the rods to fish them among the ultralight brigade.

Maybe it's time to abandon these events altogether? Or hold them less frequently?
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

davelumb wrote: Thu May 26 2022 17:36 -
It's been mooted many times in the past to hold a combined conference/convention but always been rejected by both sides. The main reason, I think, being that the lure anglers wouldn't be interested in the bait fishing talks, and the pike anglers wouldn't be interested in (say) a perch drop-shotting talk. This could impact on attendance all round. I stopped attending the LAS shows when they became more focused on catching bait fish other species than pike. The interest wasn't there for big lures and the rods to fish them among the ultralight brigade.

Maybe it's time to abandon these events altogether? Or hold them less frequently?
I get the catching bait thing, there was a lot of lighter style predator fishing, the new 12.5" protos got some funny looks 🤣 but it seems mad that with lure angling being so poular, it didnt get more numbers? A lot of people have said they simply didn't know about it or anyone who was going to be there.

I've suggested a possible artisan section maybe. There's a lot of lure makers who dont necessarily sell, or aren't set up to sell at a show who could surely exhibit. Another area of interest that doesn't cost anything for people visiting.

What was interesting was i only saw one child, Abbie. All day! Might be wrong there but there weren't many if more than just her. There's lots of young lure anglers so what can be done to help this, comes back to other stalls/activities, more than just talks and trade.

Be a shame to loose such shows, if they worked in the past they can work again surely?

www.eplures.com