Eye protection

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Eye protection

Post by Rammer223 »

Looking to upgrade my cheapo polarised glasses help see follows and eye strain with morning sun etc only lure fish recommendations please
Thanks in advance lee
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Eye protection

Post by Mike J »

My advice is to ask yourself how much your eyesight is worth to you.
I have fished or been around water all my life and now have serious eye damage caused by the sun in one eye. Probably caused by sun reflected off the water according to the the surgeon who scanned the back of my eye. The damage cannot be repaired. Any worse and I loose the sight in that eye.
For years I wore cheapo sunnies, then I noticed some problems and slowly increased the quality until I reached what I consider the ultimate fishing glasses (Costas) but the damage had already been done.
Its your eyesight and your money and a choice only you can make.

Last edited by Mike J on Sat May 21 2022 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Mike J wrote: Thu May 19 2022 07:45 -
I have fished or been around water all my life and now serious eye damage caused by the sun in one eye. Probably caused by sun reflected off the water according to the the surgeon who scanned the back of my eye. The damage cannot be repaired. Any worse and I loose the sight in that eye.
For years I wore cheapo sunnies, then I noticed some problems and slowly increased the quality until I reached what I consider the ultimate fishing glasses (Costas) but the damage had already been done.

Mike do the Costas have toughened lenses?

As I herd of some nasty eye damage from lures coming out of a fishes mouth and hitting guys.

Cheers

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

I am prepared to spend the money but with the choice brands and lens colours etc was at a loss we’re to start I had Oakley sun glasses which I rate but obviously not polarised
Thanks lee
Ps I know Oakley are tough lenses
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Crackoff wrote: Thu May 19 2022 14:44 -
Mike J wrote: Thu May 19 2022 07:45 -
I have fished or been around water all my life and now serious eye damage caused by the sun in one eye. Probably caused by sun reflected off the water according to the the surgeon who scanned the back of my eye. The damage cannot be repaired. Any worse and I loose the sight in that eye.

Mike do the Costas have toughened lenses?

As I herd of some nasty eye damage from lures coming out of a fishes mouth and hitting guys.

Cheers

Grant :smile:

Ive never seen a pair of Costas break, nor read or heard of it happening.
I suppose the best reassurance of their reliability/protection is to look at the professionals, a deckie on a marlin boat using both hands on a 600lb mono leader to hold a fish of 500lb or more close to the boat, that is where if things go wrong they do so in a very big way. Coarse anglers use tiny bits of tackle and very light loads by comparison.

Last edited by Mike J on Fri May 20 2022 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Should probably add fish canal and rivers East Yorkshire so no gin clear water some days better than others clarity wise generally fish early morning or late afternoon till dusk sometimes
Lee
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Rammer223 wrote: Fri May 20 2022 07:20 -
Should probably add fish canal and rivers East Yorkshire so no gin clear water some days better than others clarity wise generally fish early morning or late afternoon till dusk sometimes
Lee
This might help.
https://www.costadelmar.com/en-us/perfo ... ogy/lenses

Lenses I use (all are glass)
Sunrise silver for winter and heavy cloud in summer.
Dark grey for sunny days.
Blue mirror for driving and overseas fishing.
Frames are Bloke and Hamlin

Beware there are knock-offs on the market.

To test if lenses are polarised - take two pairs and hold the lenses above each other so you can see thro both, then turn one pair round 90degrees and the lenses should go black so you cannot see thro.

Joepiker
Perch
Perch

Post by Joepiker »

Can Costas be bought in the UK? Online or I store. Not the coffees obviously.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Dont forget a hat!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Joepiker wrote: Fri May 20 2022 19:10 -
Can Costas be bought in the UK? Online or I store. Not the coffees obviously.

They are not imported into the Uk anymore. I contacted the company when I was after the Sunrise lenses, eventually bought them from Australia.
Some old stock is still on the shelves or in locked cabinets to be precise.
Before you start your search make sure you know exactly what you want ie; frame size, shape, etc. all the info is on the Costa website.

Tackle Up in Fleet had a few 3-4 weeks ago but your best bet would be Robjents in Stockbridge 01264 810829 but ensure you speak to Alister. Its mayfly time at the moment so a weekday call would be the best.
Good luck, any problems PM me.

TidalD
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TidalD »

There is a post on lure fishing uk, terrible eye injury. I’ve tried to copy and paste, but it won’t allow me to for some reason. Eye protection definitely
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

TidalD wrote: Tue Jun 28 2022 17:20 -
There is a post on lure fishing uk, terrible eye injury. I’ve tried to copy and paste, but it won’t allow me to for some reason. Eye protection definitely
There's some horrors out there if you search the interweb - people losing their entire eye. The reassuring thud against the lens from a treble certainly is a shock to the system and is a reminder that you have to wear eye protection.. With many of us now using longer rods, the risk just gets worse. If you're in a boat and two of you are casting lures, you'd have to go Full Retard not to be wearing eye protection for the entire time you are casting and for that matter, head protection as well. I've lost count the number of times one of us in the boat has whacked the other, I've even managed to do it on the bank as a mate walked behind me as I cast. One of the reasons I own so many pairs of Oakleys, apart from the quality and fit - the lenses on the Flak 2.0 XL are impact resistant.
Piking Plonker