Soft lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Soft lures

Post by Rammer223 »

Is there any soft lures 14-18 cm that better lend themselves to been fished aggressively looking to rip with rod and pause , ideally it sink horizontally if not any tips on tuning assume would have to put some sort weight in belly, rip pause style in upper layers near weed and drop off , tried 18 cm Kofi perch with 4g savage gear screw in style weight in belly but still goes on its side or back when I rip
Thanks in advance lee
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Soft lures

Post by stubbojo »

better off with a jerk bait pal
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Rammer223 wrote: Mon Jun 13 2022 19:14 -
Is there any soft lures 14-18 cm that better lend themselves to been fished aggressively looking to rip with rod and pause , ideally it sink horizontally if not any tips on tuning assume would have to put some sort weight in belly, rip pause style in upper layers near weed and drop off , tried 18 cm Kofi perch with 4g savage gear screw in style weight in belly but still goes on its side or back when I rip
Thanks in advance lee
Depends how fast your ripping it, oo err

The shape of the kofi perch looks like it will spin at higher speeds tbh. I wouldnt be concerned with it going on it's side tho, if you've watched any of fly vs jerk a lot of shads will kick over and potentially thats not a bad thing as an injured fish may do such. Certainly doesnt hamper any of the catches.

You could also try a pikecraft head on it which lifts the centre of gravity then fish a solid ring leader at braid end and a fixed clip or a kwik change at the other. I'll try do a video of one of ours next time I'm out.

In terms of sinking horizontally, a plastisol shad will never do that. There are ways but at the cost of durability and stability. Adding belly weights works but it will sink faster

Surely a shallow slow sinking crank is the way forward? Or a curlytail?
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Thanks for taking time to reply not familiar with rigs / leader set up you mentioned will do little digging, take point that hard lure maybe way to go but been relatively new to lure fishing not had much success with hard baits , just seem to be able to keep the soft lures in the zone a little longer probably not fishing the hard baits very well still learning some of the zilla style baits seem like they might do the job been shallow running
Thanks lee
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Smaller sizes of line thru Roach and Trout in shallow running version can be fished how you describe. They sink fairly horizontally and have a better action when pulled fairly fast then paused. 15 or 20cm trout and 18cm roach
Its worth changing the trace they come with though as had a lot fail on the original rigging.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Lukemilnes wrote: Mon Jun 13 2022 23:18 -

In terms of sinking horizontally, a plastisol shad will never do that. There are ways but at the cost of durability and stability. Adding belly weights works but it will sink faster
The old 10" Castaic (slow sink) sank horizontally. Then, for some inexplicable reason, they changed the harness and they now sink nose first...

Over weed, a dive/rise bait like an unweighted Burt is a good option, as is a floating glidebait.
Last edited by Steve Dennington on Tue Jun 14 2022 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Jun 14 2022 09:45 -

The old 10" Castaic (slow sink) sank horizontally. Then, for some inexplicable reason, they changed the harness and they now sink nose first...

Over weed, a dive/rise bait like an unweighted Burt is a good option, as a floating glidebait.

The old Casti's were made in the US the new ones are made in ting tong land.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jun 14 2022 20:32 -

Over weed, a dive/rise bait like an unweighted Burt is a good option, as a floating glidebait.

The old ones were made in Mexico I think, Mike. The new ones are nowhere near as good :no:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Jun 14 2022 20:48 -
Mike J wrote: Tue Jun 14 2022 20:32 -

The old ones were made in Mexico I think, Mike. The new ones are nowhere near as good :no:

Mex US they aren't they all the same place these days? :laughs:
Just going on what Derek G told me.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Jun 13 2022 21:07 -
Agreed, definitely a scenario for a jerk bait and a swimbait is the last lure I'd use in that situation. Other options, one presentation that's very effective over weedbeds, spinnerbaits - you want a single colorado bladed version - I use a 1oz DP bump & grind... just burn it over the top of the weed and let it drop into open pockets, then rip back out. They're good in all but the snot weed, so you're still fishing an effective bait through weed. A good size jig head with a silicon skirt and a curly tail works well for that too - I personally use a jig head with a nylon weed guard for that... I catch a lot of pike on drains fishing those two presentations. Works well for exploring pads as well. From the boat, I'd use a straight, floating 8" Bucher Depth Raider - ripping it down and through the weeds, then letting it back-up to the surface - often when it gets hit. Crank baits aren't just for trolling :grin: Hope that help mate.
Piking Plonker
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Another good lure would be a shallow running hybrid like a Rapala X-rap Otus or Peto. They fish very well at less than a metre and sink slowly and horizontally when paused. Or a Miuras Mouse.
These both suit a slower presentation but can be twitched and paused over shallow weed beds.
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Cheers guys good info will have a look into
Regards lee
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

fenland piker wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 12:21 -
Another good lure would be a shallow running hybrid like a Rapala X-rap Otus or Peto. They fish very well at less than a metre and sink slowly and horizontally when paused. Or a Miuras Mouse.
These both suit a slower presentation but can be twitched and paused over shallow weed beds.
Or one of these ive just made 😉 its just a proto of the bigger version so yet yo be tidied up but it swims very well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Jun 15 2022 20:35 -
Agreed, definitely a scenario for a jerk bait and a swimbait is the last lure I'd use in that situation. Other options, one presentation that's very effective over weedbeds, spinnerbaits - you want a single colorado bladed version - I use a 1oz DP bump & grind... just burn it over the top of the weed and let it drop into open pockets, then rip back out. They're good in all but the snot weed, so you're still fishing an effective bait through weed. A good size jig head with a silicon skirt and a curly tail works well for that too - I personally use a jig head with a nylon weed guard for that... I catch a lot of pike on drains fishing those two presentations. Works well for exploring pads as well. From the boat, I'd use a straight, floating 8" Bucher Depth Raider - ripping it down and through the weeds, then letting it back-up to the surface - often when it gets hit. Crank baits aren't just for trolling :grin: Hope that help mate.
the bucher depth raider even works in the depths of winter , last winter on an big estate lake a pike took it on the surface ripping it back and as it floated back to the surface a pike took it on the rip , it was a freezing cold day and the only fish of the day too :shrug:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Lukemilnes wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 18:16 -
fenland piker wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 12:21 -
Or one of these ive just made 😉 its just a proto of the bigger version so yet yo be tidied up but it swims very well
they look very good too :thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 19:37 -
the bucher depth raider even works in the depths of winter , last winter on an big estate lake a pike took it on the surface ripping it back and as it floated back to the surface a pike took it on the rip , it was a freezing cold day and the only fish of the day too :shrug:
Agreed. All the depth raiders are awesome crank baits. I've done well trolling them in cold water - also, a very good choice if you're occasionally hitting the deck, as they're more snag resistant than most crank baits. The blue/white pattern is a killer in ultra cold conditions, especially for pike in clear water. Had a 15lb brownie on one many years ago, accidental capture of course, but I take what I can get in this game :laughs:
Piking Plonker
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 19:23 -
stubbojo wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 19:37 -
Agreed. All the depth raiders are awesome crank baits. I've done well trolling them in cold water - also, a very good choice if you're occasionally hitting the deck, as they're more snag resistant than most crank baits. The blue/white pattern is a killer in ultra cold conditions, especially for pike in clear water. Had a 15lb brownie on one many years ago, accidental capture of course, but I take what I can get in this game :laughs:
just when you think you have cracked this piking lark , you get taken by surprise i was just keeping warm casting about ,a pike on the surface in 30ft gin clear water jan -5 temps and ice in the margins
3 rods out on dead-baits hard on the bottom and not a sniff......i know nothing :laughs: