Fluorocarbonbon

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Fluorocarbonbon

Post by Rammer223 »

Any one tried this stuff on bfs reel
Pound)Seaguar Invizx 100% Fluorocarbon 200…
Looking to try fluro on my new ultra light perch set up
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Fluorocarbonbon

Post by Steve Dennington »

I tried fluorocarbon on a fixed spool once, because the controlling club put a ban on braid. It had terrible memory off the spool, clattered through the rings and sank like a brick. I think the stuff I had was 10lb though, so maybe a lighter strains would be better? :shrug:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Rammer223 wrote: Mon Jul 18 2022 17:08 -
Any one tried this stuff on bfs reel
Pound)Seaguar Invizx 100% Fluorocarbon 200…
Looking to try fluro on my new ultra light perch set up
would be ok as a leader for perch , but not worth it as your main reel line , just use as your last yard
most fluros are stiffer than mono .... and ideal for tangle free leaders :thumbs:
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Not to many people using fluorocarbonbon as main line ?
Might just have waisted twenty five quid then won’t be first time since starting lure fishing some bass guys seem to rate it
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Rammer223 wrote: Wed Jul 20 2022 06:38 -
Might just have waisted twenty five quid then won’t be first time since starting lure fishing some bass guys seem to rate it
only as a leader , most bass anglers use braid as main reel line in conjunction with a flouro leader say 20lb bs.........
regards steve ..... :thumbs:
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Looks like fluorocarbonbon a bust then so recommend me good quality bfs braid rod is major craft 1-5 gr reel Diawa alphas 20
Thanks in advance lee
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Hardly anyone uses braid for bfs fishing, FC is the preferred option.

Sunline sniper is highly thought of.

If you already have the line you mentioned, try it, it may be perfect.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jul 24 2022 12:31 -

Why is FC preferred, what’s the advantages etc.
I don’t do any bfs fishing, just interested to know.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Steve Moore wrote: Sun Jul 24 2022 12:34 -

Why is FC preferred, what’s the advantages etc.
I don’t do any bfs fishing, just interested to know.
I'm no expert but from what I understand FC flies off the spool and through the guides with almost no friction, so you use less effort and force causing less over runs.
You can also tie directly to the clip or the lure which allows the lure to be wound right up to the rod tip, which helps generate speed and reduces the chance of the lure catching on anything on the back swing.
It's stretch is of no consequence as you're not fishing at any real range anyway.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Thanks 👍
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i have use fluro as a main reel line in the past , and beleive me it just does not sit right on the spool to stiff , and it does not feel wright when ledgering for carp

unless there a more supple one on the market , but if its supple you want you cant beat mono , so defeats the object ......

leaders fine ......
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

all my mates use braid for there bass fishing , from the shore and boat including myself , cant fault it ...

i also use mono in the camo .....only because i have miles of it in 15lb bs .......but still use a fluro leader about a yard ...
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Rammer223 wrote: Wed Jul 20 2022 06:38 -
dont take my word for it.... try it might be ok for you ....... :thumbs: :coat:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Jul 24 2022 15:54 -

all my mates use braid for there bass fishing , from the shore and boat including myself , cant fault it ...

i also use mono in the camo .....only because i have miles of it in 15lb bs .......but still use a fluro leader about a yard ...
But bass fishing isn't bfs fishing.
I use braid for pretty much everything, but found it poor for bfs work, as do most people.
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Its on its way but was worried no positive comments for it , I use braid on all my other set ups but this new set up will be the lightest I have at 1-5 gr ,will give it a go , soon strip it off if not for me
Thanks for taking time to reply

Lee
spittlebug
Perch
Perch

Post by spittlebug »

Hi, baitcaster, multiplier etc, IMO better to have a stiffer braid, like 4 ply, rather than 6, 8 etc.

Casting say 1 - 5g using a very limp braid, like 6, 8 etc, on a baitcaster, is a nightmare, tangle every cast.
Only tried once with BFS set up, as said nightmare, so not rushed to try again. So use spinning reels.
Think might have tried once with FC, even with that, its not easy.
One tip iv'e heard of, cast your lure high. Not going to go as far, but by accounts, lot less bird nests/ tangles.

Bob
Lunix79
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Lunix79 »

The biggest problem with bfs were birds nests when starting. Why do they happen? Normally high acceleration or high deceleration of the lure, so to begin with, keeping casts parallel to the water (side casting aids this to begin building confidence) to reduce gravity effecting acceleration and deceleration helped me a lot at my beginnings.

Agree on comments above - soft mono will be the best to start followed closely by soft fluoro and lesser strands braids. That said, it appears that bfs setups' performances vary more in accordance with the interaction of the parts (rod/reel/line type/etc) and angler input than fixed spool setups, so what you'll find suits you could be very different from somebody else's experience.

Another good tip passed on to me - not going for distance but practicing accuracy is key when beginning, as the release time of the lure is slightly different to fixed spool and takes a little time to master Also, depending on how you prefer to fish (wider weight range for eg), bfs reels can easily be customised with added magnets/bearing changes etc (unless you have a premium brand, worth looking into imho).

To be honest, there is not much of bfs you won't be able to achieve on a fixed spool 500-1000reel. That said, on those really long sessions, my arm and annexed extremities/muscles definitely have me reaching for the bfs setup! :madmick:
spittlebug
Perch
Perch

Post by spittlebug »

:thumbs:
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Next question what connection or knot for fluorocarbonbon to cheb or jig , gone for 6lb looking to chuck 2 to 3 gr cheb / jig
Thanks lee
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jul 24 2022 16:25 -
stubbojo wrote: Sun Jul 24 2022 15:54 -

But bass fishing isn't bfs fishing.
I use braid for pretty much everything, but found it poor for bfs work, as do most people.
sorry my mistake thought somebody mentioned bass earlier in the thread :scratch:
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

Rammer223 wrote: Tue Jul 26 2022 16:11 -
Next question what connection or knot for fluorocarbonbon to cheb or jig , gone for 6lb looking to chuck 2 to 3 gr cheb / jig
Thanks lee
I tie a loop when using a cheb, it is easy to change the weight or the hook without needed to re tie each time.
Marvin Farrell
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Not had much joy tying , think was called Rapala loop big hands fine line failing eyes lol can never seem to get loop small enough
Lee
Senojbor
Roach
Roach

Post by Senojbor »

6lb FC for Perch fishing cast and retrieve seems very light to me? especially if the water holds Pike.
But then again I wouldn't use FC, I'd use wire if Pike are present.
I only use FC for wet fly leaders for trout. The quickest and easiest knot I find is a simple clinch knot.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Senojbor wrote: Wed Sep 28 2022 00:50 -
6lb FC for Perch fishing cast and retrieve seems very light to me? especially if the water holds Pike.
I only use FC for wet fly leaders for trout. The quickest and easiest knot I find is a simple clinch knot.
the amount of guys i come across fishing fluro leaders and they know pike are present ...beggars belief .....and there not willing to learn and listen as well..... :shrug:
Senojbor
Roach
Roach

Post by Senojbor »

stubbojo wrote: Wed Sep 28 2022 21:57 -
Senojbor wrote: Wed Sep 28 2022 00:50 -
the amount of guys i come across fishing fluro leaders and they know pike are present ...beggars belief .....and there not willing to learn and listen as well..... :shrug:
Exactly bud
Perch or Pike are not bothered if a lure is attached to a trace or not, So I see no advantage.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Does your reel manufacturer reccomend FC or mono?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!