Shallow diving lures for pike and perch

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Shallow diving lures for pike and perch

Post by Sebas »

Bit late on this but a little estate lake I fish is full of hornwort and silkweed and always fishes well on small spinnerbaits.

Depends on type of weed your fishing through but I've found a fast retrieve over the weedbeds is deadly for Pike and better Perch. Its clear and similar depth to lake you mentioned. These are the ones: https://www.fishingmegastore.com/bladed ... 70337.html

Even fouled a nice male Tench int dorsal last time, thought it was a big Pike until I saw it πŸ˜†
20220502_184025.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mmmmmmmm yes
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Sebas wrote: ↑Tue Jul 26 2022 22:56 -
Bit late on this but a little estate lake I fish is full of hornwort and silkweed and always fishes well on small spinnerbaits.

Depends on type of weed your fishing through but I've found a fast retrieve over the weedbeds is deadly for Pike and better Perch. Its clear and similar depth to lake you mentioned. These are the ones: https://www.fishingmegastore.com/bladed ... 70337.html

Even fouled a nice male Tench int dorsal last time, thought it was a big Pike until I saw it πŸ˜†
20220502_184025.jpg
I have some spinnerbaits like that

This place is dark as are the tench
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Mon Jul 25 2022 18:28 -
Pikerd74 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 25 2022 15:53 -
Taffypiker wrote: ↑Mon Jul 25 2022 13:46 -
John Milford wrote: ↑Sun Jul 24 2022 22:38 -
On any waters where weed comes close to the surface, the Manns 1 Minus is a superb lure.

They come in four sizes: 1 Minus, Mid 1 Minus, Baby 1 Minus and Tiny 1 Minus. Dont worry too much about sizes, I've had pike, chub and perch on the largest one, although the Mid and Baby are better for chub and perch. I've not bothered with the Tiny size as the first three are all very good.

They are expensive, but I cannot stress too much how good they are. I wouldn't swap one for a whole handful of Big S or similar cheap plugs.

(Bobco Tackle seem quite good on price for them currently).
So being as some git has trousered the last few .....what else can you suggest John?
Try sovereign superbaits

https://www.sovereignsuperbaits.co.uk/L ... minus.html
Thank you

9 quid a lure , kin hell
Less than a kg of boilies or 2.5 pints maggots. An effective lure is worth the spend.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

On any waters where weed comes close to the surface, the Manns 1 Minus is a superb lure.

They come in four sizes: 1 Minus, Mid 1 Minus, Baby 1 Minus and Tiny 1 Minus. Dont worry too much about sizes, I've had pike, chub and perch on the largest one, although the Mid and Baby are better for chub and perch. I've not bothered with the Tiny size as the first three are all very good.

They are expensive, but I cannot stress too much how good they are. I wouldn't swap one for a whole handful of Big S or similar cheap plugs.

Would you describe the smallest of the big s range from shakespeare to be a microcrankbait ?

It's about 6 g
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Wed Aug 10 2022 18:48 -

Would you describe the smallest of the big s range from shakespeare to be a microcrankbait ?

It's about 6 g
I'd call it small, but not micro Taffy.

These diddy little fellahs are more in the micro range. Not quite the quality of something like a Yozuri 'Snap Bean', but very good for the money:

Screenshot_20220810-212315_eBay~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Yep, the 1 minus is a killer, punches way above its weight. The chrome silver pattern is the kiddie. Great on waters where you're just fishing for numbers and not chasing larger pike, but that said, I've had a few bigger fish on them. Cast like bullets as well. However, if there are a fair few doubles and bigger fish, I'd go straight for shallow jerk bait. Loads to choose from, but the shallow Buster is easy to find and easy to fish, they catch pike all day long. Spinnerbaits - yep... you want at short arm design with a big willow leaf blade to work through weed. It works well through most types of weed, apart from obviously silkweed, which will clog the swivel and even engulf the blade. I use ERC Grinders for fishing around and occasionally through weeds. It was designed for the job. On weedy Fen drains, using those is almost like cheating.
Piking Plonker
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

John Milford wrote: ↑Wed Aug 10 2022 21:29 -

It's about 6 g

These diddy little fellahs are more in the micro range. Not quite the quality of something like a Yozuri 'Snap Bean', but very good for the money:

Where are these from John ?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Wed Aug 10 2022 22:34 -

Yep, the 1 minus is a killer, punches way above its weight. The chrome silver pattern is the kiddie. Great on waters where you're just fishing for numbers and not chasing larger pike, but that said, I've had a few bigger fish on them. Cast like bullets as well. However, if there are a fair few doubles and bigger fish, I'd go straight for shallow jerk bait. Loads to choose from, but the shallow Buster is easy to find and easy to fish, they catch pike all day long. Spinnerbaits - yep... you want at short arm design with a big willow leaf blade to work through weed. It works well through most types of weed, apart from obviously silkweed, which will clog the swivel and even engulf the blade. I use ERC Grinders for fishing around and occasionally through weeds. It was designed for the job. On weedy Fen drains, using those is almost like cheating.
Is that buster a westin lure ?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

The shorter arm with the blade on is streamlined ? Is that the idea ?
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Wed Aug 10 2022 23:55 -

It's about 6 g

It's an ebay listing Taffy. Only one set left at that price, but there are others at only a little bit more.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Wed Aug 10 2022 23:58 -

Strike Pro. One of the best plastic glidebaits you can lay your hands on. Available in a range of sizes and a shallow version too that will float with a slow rise on the pause if you tinker with the hooks and split rings - deadly in shallow water or over weed.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11 2022 12:59 -

Strike Pro. One of the best plastic glidebaits you can lay your hands on. Available in a range of sizes and a shallow version too that will float with a slow rise on the pause if you tinker with the hooks and split rings - deadly in shallow water or over weed.
There is also the Baby Buster which has worked well for me. Chuckable on normal spinning gear.
Michael Bruton
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

fossil-fish wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11 2022 13:03 -
There is also the Baby Buster which has worked well for me. Chuckable on normal spinning gear.
Cracking little lure that one :thumbs:
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Thank you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

fossil-fish wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11 2022 13:03 -

Checking these out
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

John Milford wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11 2022 11:28 -
Taffypiker wrote: ↑Wed Aug 10 2022 23:55 -

It's about 6 g

It's an ebay listing Taffy. Only one set left at that price, but there are others at only a little bit more.
Will do a search thanks John
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Why are some of these crankbaits stocky and bulbous .......and why are others slimline like minnow shaped ?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

It's about 6 g

These look nice , more of a streamlined shape than the short , fat chaps ?

Not a bad price either ?

Not going to be of the quality you suggested
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11 2022 00:05 -

It's not an idea, it's a design feature and genuinely works. They're made tough as well, I've had 50+ fish in a session on one lure on several occasions. The only thing that will eventually go is the skirt and I also get through a few stingers, cutting them on awkward or deep hook holds. Both items easy to replace of course. I have them in 1,2, 3 and 5oz, but the 1 and 2oz are my go to spinnerbait for shallow drains and most rivers... spiel from manufacturer, "Designed by Dick Pearson himself, the Pearson’s Ginders, like many other spinner baits are versatile and can be used in many applications, but therese, unlike others, are specifically designed to GRIND through the weeds. Features such as the length of the arms, unique head design, body material and every other component were carefully designed, selected and assembled with that purpose in mind."

Piking Plonker
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11 2022 17:32 -
Taffypiker wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11 2022 00:05 -

It's not an idea, it's a design feature and genuinely works. They're made tough as well, I've had 50+ fish in a session on one lure on several occasions. The only thing that will eventually go is the skirt and I also get through a few stingers, cutting them on awkward or deep hook holds. Both items easy to replace of course. I have them in 1,2, 3 and 5oz, but the 1 and 2oz are my go to spinnerbait for shallow drains and most rivers... spiel from manufacturer, "Designed by Dick Pearson himself, the Pearson’s Ginders, like many other spinner baits are versatile and can be used in many applications, but therese, unlike others, are specifically designed to GRIND through the weeds. Features such as the length of the arms, unique head design, body material and every other component were carefully designed, selected and assembled with that purpose in mind."

Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

The spinnerbaits with a shad on the hook rather than the skirt you have ?
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11 2022 17:57 -
The spinnerbaits with a shad on the hook rather than the skirt you have ?
Sorry mate, no clue what you're on about there.
Piking Plonker
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

The spinnerbait you use has a skirt which hides the hook so prevents a lot of snagging ?

I have some spinnerbait frames and I have attached a plastic shad to a jig head and was thinking of using this in the weedy sreas ?
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Taffypiker wrote: ↑Fri Aug 12 2022 00:12 -
The spinnerbait you use has a skirt which hides the hook so prevents a lot of snagging ?

I have some spinnerbait frames and I have attached a plastic shad to a jig head and was thinking of using this in the weedy sreas ?
They usually work ok, but rigid-framed sb's can bounce thru weed better than hinged ones.
Peter Newman
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

peteren wrote: ↑Fri Aug 12 2022 11:23 -

They usually work ok, but rigid-framed sb's can bounce thru weed better than hinged ones.
Would a standard cast pause and retrieve method be OK or would you suggest working it like a fluke ?
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

I'm usually trying to fish as deep and close to the weed as possible; "feel" the lure down (- ready for takes on the drop, too), and edge onto the weed; trial and error how close and deep you can go.
Peter Newman
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

peteren wrote: ↑Fri Aug 12 2022 11:23 -

Those mini spinnerbait frames from agm ......those are hinged , not rigid framed ?

If I need to get some rigid framed mini spinnerbait frames can you point me in the right direction ?

Cheers
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

peteren wrote: ↑Fri Aug 12 2022 12:36 -
I'm usually trying to fish as deep and close to the weed as possible; "feel" the lure down (- ready for takes on the drop, too), and edge onto the weed; trial and error how close and deep you can go.
Is that sort of subtle approach in weedy lakes not asking for trouble with regard to snag ups ?
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

No, the skirt doesn't do that much to mask the hooks (I always have two on my lures), it's the frame of the spinnerbait that deflects snags and weeds. It acts as a hook guard, which is why spinnerbaits work well in snaggy areas and through some weeds. A short arm is better in weed, as it offers less resistance, but still protects the hooks - a willow leaf blades slips though weed better as it is more streamline. I often use them to bounce off structure, not often you loose a spinnerbait to a snag, in fact it's very rare.

Another method is to vertically jig a spinnerbait into pockets or even just down the margins. I've had a lot of pike doing that. If it is totally choked up to the surface and the only option is to fish over it, use a weedless surface lure, like a Forgzilla. Hook up rate is OK, about 1 in 6 I'd say. But you get multiple takes from the same fish, even if you've pranged them, they keep having a go. I've even had pike land on the bank at my feet after chasing them down. I wouldn't want to be a frog in a pike infested water.
Piking Plonker