Low stretch mono alternatives to Braid ? How close to Braid are they ?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Low stretch mono alternatives to Braid ? How close to Braid are they ?

Post by Taffypiker »

Is good old sensor up there ?

Veals used to sell Mason , an American sportfishing line ?

Obviously stiffer than ordinary mono but how close to braid do these get ?
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Low stretch mono alternatives to Braid ? How close to Braid are they ?

Post by John Milford »

Low stretch monos are actually pre-stretched monos. Less resistant to the shock pressures of fishing, but without the much higher tensile strength of polyethylene braids. (Braids aren't that resistant to shock either - e.g. you can quite easily crack off a 3/8 ounce bait on 30 lb braid if something locks up on the cast).

Personally, I've never had much of an issue with ordinary mono for most types of fishing, including lure fishing. The 'problem' with stretch is often perceived to be hook setting, but it needn't be.

The important thing is balanced tackle. Lighter monos are OK with small, sharp hooks - but not larger hooks with thicker wire. Heavy action rods are a no - no with lighter mono too.

As with all things in fishing, trust your common sense and you shouldn't go far wrong. :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

John Milford wrote: Mon Aug 01 2022 16:10 -
Low stretch monos are actually pre-stretched monos. Less resistant to the shock pressures of fishing, but without the much higher tensile strength of polyethylene braids. (Braids aren't that resistant to shock either - e.g. you can quite easily crack off a 3/8 ounce bait on 30 lb braid if something locks up on the cast).

Personally, I've never had much of an issue with ordinary mono for most types of fishing, including lure fishing. The 'problem' with stretch is often perceived to be hook setting, but it needn't be.

The important thing is balanced tackle. Lighter monos are OK with small, sharp hooks - but not larger hooks with thicker wire. Heavy action rods are a no - no with lighter mono too.

As with all things in fishing, trust your common sense and you shouldn't go far wrong. :thumbs:
It's interesting you should say this ......ie using mono in lure fishing is acceptable

Most anglers here use Braid but I don't get on with the stuff and I have bounced a lot of trout and perch out of hook holds with it

I use 10 pound hyper sensor for my light spinning but I was just wondering if this is able to be bettered
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

If trout are your game just use 6lb mono it will sink faster than braid and lay straighter in the water.
When using braid used with light lures you will notice it tends to lay in an upward curve compared to the same lure on mono.

Trout tend to whack the lure from the side, often with their head, if your lure has a middle hook attach it with a small swivel between two split rings.
Set the reel drag to give line when the rod is compressed and point the rod tip at 30degrees to the line as your retrieve, the steeper angle will allow you a greater sweep when you strike thereby taking the stretch out of the mono.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Mike J wrote: Tue Aug 02 2022 10:27 -
If trout are your game just use 6lb mono it will sink faster than braid and lay straighter in the water.
When using braid used with light lures you will notice it tends to lay in an upward curve compared to the same lure on mono.

Trout tend to whack the lure from the side, often with their head, if your lure has a middle hook attach it with a small swivel between two split rings.
Set the reel drag to give line when the rod is compressed and point the rod tip at 30degrees to the line as your retrieve, the steeper angle will allow you a greater sweep when you strike thereby taking the stretch out of the mono.

Around October the rivers here have the fag end trout mixed up with perch and Jack pike ?