Replacing trebles with singles - hook recommendations

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
OldTaff
Stickleback
Stickleback

Replacing trebles with singles - hook recommendations

Post by OldTaff »

I have been given some Fox Rage Slick Stick 40SR lures (40mm, 2g) which I wish to use for perch. I am more comfortable with singles than trebles and would like to swap what is currently on them.

They look about a size 16 so I’m guessing a 12 single should be equivalent but could use some advice on the preferred in line eye hooks that experienced lure anglers use.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Replacing trebles with singles - hook recommendations

Post by Taffypiker »

OldTaff wrote: Sat Aug 06 2022 15:25 -
I have been given some Fox Rage Slick Stick 40SR lures (40mm, 2g) which I wish to use for perch. I am more comfortable with singles than trebles and would like to swap what is currently on them.

They look about a size 16 so I’m guessing a 12 single should be equivalent but could use some advice on the preferred in line eye hooks that experienced lure anglers use.
When you replace treble hooks then you tend to use bigger singles

The size 1 of these is what I use on most of my small lures

https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/pr ... ze-1-5pcs/
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I was advised ages ago to do the following- remove the treble from place on a flat surface so two hook points are on the surface and the third is sitting proud. Measure the height from thr surface to the top hook point.

Use a single same gap as the height measurement.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Replacing trebles with singles - hook recommendation

Post by Mike J »

Perch are notorious tail nippers, why not try a single out the back on a bit of stiff wire? If not wire you could use braid and stiffen it with superglue.

I first tried superglued braid for mullet and failed, but the schoolie bass like it.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Have you tried snipping off one point of the treble?

It makes unhooking perch much easier, which can be be very tricky if they've taken in a treble. It's also much more efficient for hooking the fish than singles.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Aug 09 2022 09:25 -

It makes unhooking perch much easier, which can be be very tricky if they've taken in a treble. It's also much more efficient for hooking the fish than singles.
I have done that on some of my lures
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

This guy has a video with a few tips, as said earlier AGM are a good and fast supplier of most things lure fishing
#
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Aug 09 2022 09:25 -

:thumbs: That's what I do.

Occasionally hook small perch thru both top and bottom lips , but unhooking still simple - unlike with trebles.
Peter Newman
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

I went to Tennessee earlier in the year where single hooks are a local byelaw for lures. Simply ordered a bulk pack of inline singles and swapped all my smaller plugs. It is worth checking the action isn't affected as a couple of mine seemed really different as they are obviously balanced for the weight of the original trebles.
OldTaff
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by OldTaff »

I’ve replaced all the trebles with these :

https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/pr ... e-10-7pcs/

And they look like they should work a treat, the size 10 is almost identical to the treble for gape. Off to try them out later this week and very hopeful.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

…or, as I do, bend two of the points to touch the shank using pliers. Benefits are maintains casting weight of lure perfectly, no expense and - in my hands - no change to hook-up rate. No down-sides as yet.
Gary Coggon
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Coggon wrote: Thu Aug 25 2022 15:09 -
…or, as I do, bend two of the points to touch the shank using pliers. Benefits are maintains casting weight of lure perfectly, no expense and - in my hands - no change to hook-up rate. No down-sides as yet.
Is that one remaining functioning hook shank ...and two bent into shaft ......still hooking fish for you ?
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Yes, still hooking and landing fish for me, including my new PB wild brown in the Spring. Another benefit is that hooking of both lips in trout and chub is eliminated - giving easier and gentler release.
Gary Coggon