Spinner bait skirts

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Spinner bait skirts

Post by Mark Phillips »

Struggling to find a UK supplier? Even an EU one for that matter. Easy enough in the States, but paying nearly £50 to ship £30 of goods doesn't seem a like good idea to me... I'm after 'proper' sized skirts, i.e. at least 9", preferably bigger; that's in silicon, but also in flashabou. Anyone?

Thanks in-advance for any pointers :cool:

Mark P
Piking Plonker
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Re: Spinner bait skirts

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Have you tried jannsnetcraft in the states ?
I use them all the time and never pay that amount for shipping and buy some heavy goods from them.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Tony McTaggart wrote: Sun Aug 07 2022 14:07 -
Have you tried jannsnetcraft in the states ?
I use them all the time and never pay that amount for shipping and buy some heavy goods from them.
Thank you Tony. I had a look, nothing doing - all they seem to have are tiny skirts, no doubt for small bass lures. I need the magnum/musky sized skirts - these are to replace worn out ones on my Rad Dogs and Dick Pearson lures.

Rollies quoted me $50 to ship $35 of bits :eek:

I've now found lurepartsonline, which have a few in the longer lengths. Doesn't look like their shipping rates are too bad.
Piking Plonker
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

What mm flashbou mate, I've got some in the workshop somewhere
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Aug 07 2022 13:48 -
Struggling to find a UK supplier? Even an EU one for that matter. Easy enough in the States, but paying nearly £50 to ship £30 of goods doesn't seem a like good idea to me... I'm after 'proper' sized skirts, i.e. at least 9", preferably bigger; that's in silicon, but also in flashabou. Anyone?

Thanks in-advance for any pointers :cool:

Mark P

You might be able to make something from these, they are what I found on a market stall selling kiddies playthings.
It was the material that caught my attention because they were the same silicone used in lure skirts. Once the plastic head is removed the result is single strands 7-8" long.
I cannot remember the price but it wouldn't have been much.
A715BA50-BE03-4213-8E0E-C10042674BEA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Living rubber is my choice for spinnerbait skirts. It comes in metre lengths, so you can cut to any length and attach with a cable tie. Separating the strands is a bit of a chore though!

https://lurefactors.co.uk/spinnerbait-p ... 5_146.html
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Aug 08 2022 11:42 -
Living rubber is my choice for spinnerbait skirts. It comes in metre lengths, so you can cut to any length and attach with a cable tie. Separating the strands is a bit of a chore though!

Once cable tied on to the spinnerbait hook the lure into something solid and pull the rubber strip tight. Then with sharp scissors cut across it at a slight angle. It won't usually split into individual strands but it gets you close. Then stretch the other bits and release until they all separate.

At £2.55 per metre I might have some for sale!!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Mon Aug 08 2022 11:53 -

Once cable tied on to the spinnerbait hook the lure into something solid and pull the rubber strip tight. Then with sharp scissors cut across it at a slight angle. It won't usually split into individual strands but it gets you close. Then stretch the other bits and release until they all separate.

At £2.55 per metre I might have some for sale!!
Sounds like it would work well. I normally just stretch and twang before fitting to release a lot of the strands. Some still need picking apart though.

The 1lb rolls from the States would be the cheapest way to buy, but the weight pushes the shipping cost up :tea:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Maybe a little expensive (I've not priced a spool in ages) can use pole elastic to make your own if you dont mind just solid colors.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Andrew Croft wrote: Mon Aug 08 2022 14:39 -
Maybe a little expensive (I've not priced a spool in ages) can use pole elastic to make your own if you dont mind just solid colors.
I tried it once and found it wasn't supple enough, but I may have bought too large a diameter, I don't know.
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

+1 for the lure factors link, I renovated my spinner baits last year and their service was good, I agree with Steve buying the metre lengths is the only option for big SB’s, the colour palette is a little limited when compared to the smaller ready to use skirts.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Thanks everyone, much appreciated :thumbs:
Piking Plonker
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

I used to get all of my spinnerbait kit from ‘Jennyfeilds’ they made custom combinations to order and provided a great service!
Shame the company is no longer.
TidalD
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TidalD »

Mark, can you find any large tube lures? You could always cut the slots further back or glue /heat 5 razor blades into a toothbrush to make a cutter? Yes the shipping rates are extortionate and then you might get hit with customs as well.. 🤬
TidalD
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TidalD »