Working a diving plug on the surface

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Working a diving plug on the surface

Post by Brother Belcher »

I'm just returning to fishing after a few years away, and wanted to share a tactic I tried just before I hung up the rods last time.
Using a Shakespeare big S diving plug, I lifted all the line off the water and held the rod high. The plug produces a lovely bow wave and imitates a small creature swimming on the surface, which you can steer around weeds and lillys etc.

I only tried it a few times, and actually had a couple of good size Chubb that launched themselves at it, so will try it again for Pike.

Has anyone else used a diving plug in this manner?
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Re: Working a diving plug on the surface

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

I really do not wish to be dismissive but I think everybody would have tried it at some point.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Most buoyant cranks can be pushed into service as passable topwaters, but a lure designed for that purpose works much better :thumbs:
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Wed Jul 26 2023 08:25 -
I really do not wish to be dismissive but I think everybody would have tried it at some point.
I haven’t……

You do come across as a bit of an arrogant dick sometimes Chico.
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Wed Jul 26 2023 12:32 -
I haven’t……

You do come across as a bit of an arrogant dick sometimes Chico.
I said that with a caveat. You did say that as if it were a bad thing. Thank you for your time.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Brother Belcher wrote: Tue Jul 25 2023 17:48 -
I'm just returning to fishing after a few years away, and wanted to share a tactic I tried just before I hung up the rods last time.
Using a Shakespeare big S diving plug, I lifted all the line off the water and held the rod high. The plug produces a lovely bow wave and imitates a small creature swimming on the surface, which you can steer around weeds and lillys etc.

I only tried it a few times, and actually had a couple of good size Chubb that launched themselves at it, so will try it again for Pike.

Yes they catch, but only use them when I have no surface lures on me. Else, something noisier like a Hawg Wobbler or a Boss Hawg will catch you more fish than a crank bait fished on the surface. Most will need quite a slow retrieve as well, which for pike isn't always what you want to trigger them. Chub? Try small jitterbugs, they are deadly.
Piking Plonker
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Yes quite possibly, but it was more to see if anyone supported the approach as a good regular option.
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Jul 26 2023 09:41 -
Most buoyant cranks can be pushed into service as passable topwaters, but a lure designed for that purpose works much better :thumbs:
Yeah I guess that makes sense
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Jul 26 2023 18:00 -

Yes they catch, but only use them when I have no surface lures on me. Else, something noisier like a Hawg Wobbler or a Boss Hawg will catch you more fish than a crank bait fished on the surface. Most will need quite a slow retrieve as well, which for pike isn't always what you want to trigger them. Chub? Try small jitterbugs, they are deadly.
Never tried those, but have a Heddon Crazy Crawler and I do love the way it plops across the surface.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

BB I'd recommend Arbogast Jitterbug or similar lures and prop baits of which there are many. If you want to expand your skill try a walking the dog type lure such as a Henndon Spook
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Oldskoolfool wrote: Thu Jul 27 2023 13:44 -
BB I'd recommend Arbogast Jitterbug or similar lures and prop baits of which there are many. If you want to expand your skill try a walking the dog type lure such as a Henndon Spook
Thanks for that.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Used to do well with a jointed rapala just gently wobbling back in along the surface :thumbs:
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

piker al wrote: Thu Aug 03 2023 17:48 -

Used to do well with a jointed rapala just gently wobbling back in along the surface :thumbs:
Never tried a jointed on the surface will have to give that a go.