Burts

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Burts

Post by Steve Dennington »

WTF!

I recently did a multi-layer finish on a Burt, only to find that it sank. I assumed that it was my fault and that the additional weight from the six coats of epoxy had caused it, but evidently not.

I took another two today (no paint or epoxy, just a bare factory weighted Burt blank) and added the same hooks that shop-bought Burts come with (without even a tail fitted) and plopped them into my pond to test. They both sank to the bottom! :mad:

I've ballasted a couple of unweighted ones today with steel shot and they work perfectly, with a slow rise at 45 degrees or so, but there isn't much I can do with the weighted ones. I drilled one to remove the weight, but you have to drill such a big hole to get it out that the lure is a write-off :cry: Also, I found that one of them had one lead ball in and another one had two!!! Both sank when tested...

Annoying. Very annoying. They're a great design and a great fish catcher, but the consistency for a plastic lure is appalling.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Burts

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 17:52 -
WTF!

I recently did a multi-layer finish on a Burt, only to find that it sank. I assumed that it was my fault and that the additional weight from the six coats of epoxy had caused it, but evidently not.

I took another two today (no paint or epoxy, just a bare factory weighted Burt blank) and added the same hooks that shop-bought Burts come with (without even a tail fitted) and plopped them into my pond to test. They both sank to the bottom! :mad:

I've ballasted a couple of unweighted ones today with steel shot and they work perfectly, with a slow rise at 45 degrees or so, but there isn't much I can do with the weighted ones. I drilled one to remove the weight, but you have to drill such a big hole to get it out that the lure is a write-off :cry: Also, I found that one of them had one lead ball in and another one had two!!! Both sank when tested...

Annoying. Very annoying. They're a great design and a great fish catcher, but the consistency for a plastic lure is appalling.
Sinking Burts have their uses. :smile:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 18:00 -
They certainly do. However, call me Mr Picky, but if I buy a lure that supposed to float as standard I expect it to do just that. If I then decide to take a drill to it to make it a sinker, I have that option, but what I can't do is make a sinking one float :no:
Last edited by Steve Dennington on Sat Aug 12 2023 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 18:12 -
davelumb wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 18:00 -
They do certainly do. However, call me Mr Picky, but if I buy a lure that supposed to float as standard I expect it to do just that. If I then decide to take a drill to it to make it a sinker, I have that option, but what I can't do is make a sinking one float :no:
I agree the inconsistency of the idiots who put the weights in Burts is appalling, and seems to have got worse wince I stopped selling them/ Drifter Tackle took them on. The very early ones also seemed much better - different moulds and I think different plastic.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 18:19 -
I agree the inconsistency of the idiots who put the weights in Burts is appalling, and seems to have got worse wince I stopped selling them/ Drifter Tackle took them on. The very early ones also seemed much better - different moulds and I think different plastic.
'Tis the way of things, sadly. Everything we buy is smaller or shoddier than it used to be :sick:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 18:40 -
'Tis the way of things, sadly. Everything we buy is smaller or shoddier than it used to be :sick:
It certainly seems to be what happens when a product from a 'cottage industry' gets taken over by a big firm. Either quality drops, the design gets 'improved' (ruined), or it's dropped altogether.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 19:01 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 18:40 -
It certainly seems to be what happens when a product from a 'cottage industry' gets taken over by a big firm. Either quality drops, the design gets 'improved' (ruined), or it's dropped altogether.
True. Stay-Loks too. The Mustad ones were truly awful in comparison to the original black Stringease ones.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

My favourite lures :thumbs:
Doesn't take that much to make a weighted burt sink like a brick, but they certainly come in useful :cool:
Unweighted version is the one you can play about with the most.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Tony McTaggart wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 23:08 -
Doesn't take that much to make a weighted burt sink like a brick, but they certainly come in useful :cool:
Have you had weighted Burts that sink without modification though, Tony?

I must have had 30+ of them over the years and prior to these ones I've never had a weighted Burt that sank without additional ballast being added to make it do so.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 23:46 -
Tony McTaggart wrote: Sat Aug 12 2023 23:08 -
Have you had weighted Burts that sink without modification though, Tony?

I must have had 30+ of them over the years and prior to these ones I've never had a weighted Burt that sank without additional ballast being added to make it do so.
I have buddy, straight out the packaging and fizzed like an Alka-Seltzer on the way down :laughs:
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Well as far as I can tell Drifter tackle have abandoned Burts which makes my four very valuable!!!
Happy to be alive!!!!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Neville Fickling wrote: Sun Aug 13 2023 08:54 -
Well as far as I can tell Drifter tackle have abandoned Burts which makes my four very valuable!!!
And I just wrecked two of them! :laughs:

Hey ho, I've still got another half a dozen and could make a wooden copy if necessary.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

I'm sure I posted something on here a while back that they would be discontinued, for now anyway.
CraigG
Perch
Perch

Post by CraigG »

Have they really? Odd, as they are promoting the new naked pattern Burt's on their website.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

CraigG wrote: Sun Aug 13 2023 11:47 -
Have they really? Odd, as they are promoting the new naked pattern Burt's on their website.
That was from 2012 you t*t :roll:
The naked series failed to materialise I think (I've certainly never seen one here or from the states :thumbs:
CraigG
Perch
Perch

Post by CraigG »

Just stating what their website has advertised. Just shows the incompetency of their marketing and business if it's from 2012.

So the only t***s are Drifter tackle 😉
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

CraigG wrote: Sun Aug 13 2023 13:27 -
Just stating what their website has advertised. Just shows the incompetency of their marketing and business if it's from 2012.

So the only t***s are Drifter tackle 😉
I doubt they'll be concerned :laughs:
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

If drifter do ever sort themselves out we will stock Burts again
Happy to be alive!!!!
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

I had a couple of the original weighted burts with the flat paper eyes, they had huge rattles and sunk
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook