Braid

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Aldo
Stickleback
Stickleback

Braid

Post by Aldo »

I have just purchased a 160g rod and okuma 364 reel. Can anyone recommend a good braid and what size . Thanks
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Braid

Post by Daniel »

O.35mm (79lb) daiwa j braid x8.

You'll get lots of recommendations for powerpro, and it's fine, it'll do the job, but there are nicer to use braids out there these days.

Whatever you decide, buy from a reputable shop, eBay and Amazon are awash with Chinese fake s**t that's just repackaged basic as you can get braid.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Casting lures up 6oz. Shimano Kairiki 0.35 and 87lb is an excellent line. Very good diameter to breaking strain and casts better than any braid I have used. Else, PowerPro is super reliable, but is thicker at 0.43mm and 80lb.
Piking Plonker
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I’m still using SeaKnight Monster braid. Very similar dia-bs as JBraid x8.
W8 is fine in lower dia but if you jump up to 60-80lb bs it gets very stiff, but their S9 version sorts it out.
I test every spool I get, .16dia (20lb) I use on my beach casting gear generally snaps at 18lb pressure at the knot.
I use .32dia (50lb) on my dead bait rods and I’m yet to snap it pulling 40lb +, and I can’t get close to the .40 (80lb) I use on my lure rods.
I buy it from the official SeaKnight store on Aliexpress. About £10-£15 for a 500m spool.
My only criticism is the colour washes out, especially on the lure rods, from repeated cast-retrieve, the dark green becomes a washed out grey/green, but it makes it more supple snd at that price you can change it every couple seasons if you wanted.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Another vote for Daiwa JBraid x8, in whatever diameter/ strength suits your potential use. I use the 0.35 for large lures and really rate it.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I don't rate the Daiwa J Braid. Found it's propensity to bed into the spool and create issues was something I couldn't live with and that's mirrored by a lot of reviews I have seen and feedback from mates who've tried it. PowerPro handles so much better. I think people only buy it because it's cheap, but having said that, for that reason it's a decent braid for bait fishing.
Piking Plonker
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Sep 15 2023 19:08 -
Casting lures up 6oz. Shimano Kairiki 0.35 and 87lb is an excellent line. Very good diameter to breaking strain and casts better than any braid I have used. Else, PowerPro is super reliable, but is thicker at 0.43mm and 80lb.
Been using kairiki for a few years now and have to say it's spot on. Found it even better in lighter diameters for light lure fishing. Next to no wind knots, nice and smooth.
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
Joephilpots87
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Joephilpots87 »

80lb spider wire
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Sep 21 2023 19:36 -
I don't rate the Daiwa J Braid. Found it's propensity to bed into the spool and create issues was something I couldn't live with and that's mirrored by a lot of reviews I have seen and feedback from mates who've tried it. PowerPro handles so much better. I think people only buy it because it's cheap, but having said that, for that reason it's a decent braid for bait fishing.
One day it lasted on a toro I had :laughs:
Found it terrible and very flat.
old_school
Roach
Roach

Post by old_school »

Aldo wrote: Tue Sep 12 2023 15:32 -
I have just purchased a 160g rod and okuma 364 reel. Can anyone recommend a good braid and what size . Thanks
Is that the Komodo 364? If so, you’ll be happy 😃 I’ve been chucking 100+ gm lures for over 3 years with mine and it’s been a workhorse, very nice. Bit of a screamer when casting due to the meshed level wind but a very nice clutch that goes with it.

I’m a power pro guy I’m afraid. It just works so why change? The Komodo will take 100m of 40kg (88lb) and that’ll last for 2 years, then reverse it. Only reverse it as it’s lost its colour and gone a bit fluffy. 4 years off a spool of braid and it ain’t looking so expensive now eh?
Buy from a reputable tackle shop though, not off ebay or amazon, too many fakes out there, you’ll only regret it. I’ve seen the fake stuff and it’s horrible! It’s thick, bright green, and has terrible knot strength.
40kg braid and 100lb titanium (Cahia) is my go to, it’s not what you need for getting pike out but what you need for getting those big lures out of snags. Get yourself a 6 inch bit of 15mm copper pipe too, use as a pull bar for pulling out of snags and straightening hooks, never pull using rod and reel (or bare hands!) 👍
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

bought some j braid the other week 20lb test in orange .......handles really well ...no issues yet with it ......9.99 angling direct ...
use it on my spro rod with lighter lures ......
The Cardinal
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by The Cardinal »

Would recommend the J Braid X 8. It casts lovely in thinnner breaking strains, to take the chance of wind knots out I just pour a small amount of water over the spool before commencing fishing. It does loose its colour but that doesn’t bother me. Power Pro a work horse braid but thicker and noisier through things I thought. The advantage of J braid being cheaper is easily replaced if needed. I always listen to what Mark Philips has to say, but can’t comment on the Shimano braid, I’m happy with Daiwa …
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Also use j braid and have been very pleased with it so far on a lighter setup. Use Berkeley whiplash on my heavy lure rod and on a spod/marker rod. Thin for its breaking strain, but I’m yet to have a problem with it.

Jack
Mologan
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Mologan »

Fwiw I like Berkeley Sick braid. Also use shimano but think Berkeley is just nicer to use
Gray
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Gray »

30-40lb should be fine. Depends where/how you're using it.

Spectra or Dyneema are safe - avoid cheap PE braids. The raw material for quality braid is expensive, decent braid will cost more.

4 strand, 8 strand or 16. Generally, the more strands, the smoother it'll cast, the less abrasion resistance it'll have, and the more it'll cost!

I like Powerpro, it's reliable but a bit rough and rattly.

Of the affordable 8 strands: Sufix 832 is a reliable workhorse and smooth. Kairiki is better than J-braid in my opinion, it has far better abrasion resistance and handles nicer - trouble is, Shimano have a track record of changing the makeup of their line without telling anyone. Sufix x8 is well worth a look.

More expensive 8 strands: Powerpro Super8slick is really nice, worth the extra money if smooth-casting is what you're after.

Top end multistrand, I've heard Gosen 16 ply is highly regarded, but I've never even touched it. I've tried Sufix 131 and assume must be right up there (performance-wise): strong reliable, it knots well and is very easy on the angler and worth remortgaging your house for!!!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Gray wrote: Thu Feb 08 2024 17:19 -
30-40lb should be fine. Depends where/how you're using it.

Spectra or Dyneema are safe - avoid cheap PE braids. The raw material for quality braid is expensive, decent braid will cost more.

4 strand, 8 strand or 16. Generally, the more strands, the smoother it'll cast, the less abrasion resistance it'll have, and the more it'll cost!

I like Powerpro, it's reliable but a bit rough and rattly.

Of the affordable 8 strands: Sufix 832 is a reliable workhorse and smooth. Kairiki is better than J-braid in my opinion, it has far better abrasion resistance and handles nicer - trouble is, Shimano have a track record of changing the makeup of their line without telling anyone. Sufix x8 is well worth a look.

More expensive 8 strands: Powerpro Super8slick is really nice, worth the extra money if smooth-casting is what you're after.

Top end multistrand, I've heard Gosen 16 ply is highly regarded, but I've never even touched it. I've tried Sufix 131 and assume must be right up there (performance-wise): strong reliable, it knots well and is very easy on the angler and worth remortgaging your house for!!!
30-40lb???

I can only assume you like loosing a lot of lures?