Heavy duty braid diameter/lbs

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
dimitri239
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Heavy duty braid diameter/lbs

Post by dimitri239 »

Wondering what people would recommend for braid to be used on a heavy outfit, casting lures between 80-160g?

I've always gone powerpro but happy to try something else if there's going to be any advantages.

I already have some powerpro in 0.41mm diameter if that would do?
I just want to be able to bend the hooks out if I end up getting snagged.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Heavy duty braid diameter/lbs

Post by Jack H »

I would stick with the power pro that you’ve got. 0.41 mm is showing as 88lb breaking strain, which will be fine for getting heavy lures out of snags. For my heavy lures up to 150g i use Berkley whiplash in 80lb in yellow which is showing at about 0.25 mm online. I’ve found it perfect, it casts well and knots well too. I have recently been trying Daiwa j braid in 40lb for a 15/50g rod. I’ve not used it much, but first impressions, I’m very happy with it.

Hope this helps

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

0.41mm (65lb) will be fine for casting your lures, but if your main consideration is straightening hooks you might want to go up to 0.46mm 100lb. I have one reel spooled up with 0.56mm Power Pro for occasions when I'm expecting to get snagged.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

dimitri239 wrote: Fri Nov 03 2023 23:02 -
Wondering what people would recommend for braid to be used on a heavy outfit, casting lures between 80-160g?

I've always gone powerpro but happy to try something else if there's going to be any advantages.

My mate uses 80 I use 100, both of us fish big imported lures. He catches more than me. Daiwa J braid in green.
Make some tests on the hooks you intend to use and go up 20lb or more for your reel line.
A breakout stick is advisable with really strong line, pulling on the reel will wreck it.

Good luck :handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mike J wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 13:09 -
A breakout stick is advisable with really strong line, pulling on the reel will wreck it.
Definitely! :thumbs:
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Yip....absolutely destroys rear drag baitrunners :thumbs:
old_school
Roach
Roach

Post by old_school »

8 inch length of 15mm copper plumbing pipe is my breakout bar, as essential as unhooking tools really 👍
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.
dimitri239
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by dimitri239 »

Thanks everyone. Good to know 0.41 powerpro should be enough.
Off to the States in a couple weeks so I'll see if there's any cheap offers on the 0.46 braid out there whilst I'm there.
I learnt about using a break out stick the hard way years ago when I walked backwards holding the spool of my crappy little reel at the time and managed to bust it.
Also nearly ended up with a 1oz lead embedded in my skull as I had mono on the spool which catapulted the lead towards me. Luckily managed to avoid it, through luck more than speedy reactions.
dimitri239
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by dimitri239 »

Jack H wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 11:06 -
I would stick with the power pro that you’ve got. 0.41 mm is showing as 88lb breaking strain, which will be fine for getting heavy lures out of snags. For my heavy lures up to 150g i use Berkley whiplash in 80lb in yellow which is showing at about 0.25 mm online. I’ve found it perfect, it casts well and knots well too. I have recently been trying Daiwa j braid in 40lb for a 15/50g rod. I’ve not used it much, but first impressions, I’m very happy with it.

Hope this helps

Jack
Thanks Jack, do you find the whiplash in 0.25 handles lures that size ok and is durable enough etc.
I have looked at whiplash but it was the diameter that put me off.
Also are you using the new whiplash 8 strand or the original whiplash pro?
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

dimitri239 wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 19:08 -

Hope this helps

Jack
Thanks Jack, do you find the whiplash in 0.25 handles lures that size ok and is durable enough etc.
I’ve found it’s very smooth to cast and beds on the spool nicely . When chucking heavy lures out not had any problems with it. My lure sessions are generally quite short, but I’d imagine it would stand up fine to a full day of chucking lures. It’s the 8 strand that I use. As said previously, if you are unsure you can always step up to 100lb if your waters are really snaggey.

Jack
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

old_school wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 16:09 -
8 inch length of 15mm copper plumbing pipe is my breakout bar, as essential as unhooking tools really 👍
I use my landing net pole. Don't make crossed wraps though as braid can cut into itself under tension. Unlikely with thick stuff, but better not to take chances.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Quite a timely example today. I got firmly snagged on 0.36mm (50lb) Power Pro and was cursing my decision to lob this lure on the lighter set-up when I had the heavy gear with 100lb PP with me. I wrapped the braid around my pliers and pulled for the expected break, but just as I expected it to bust the lure popped free. The 50lb PP had bent out a 3/0 Gamakatsu "magic eye" which are not a thin wire hook!
I can only assume that only the point had penetrated whatever it was. If it was buried in a sunken log up to the bend it would definitely have been goodbye for that lure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dimitri239
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by dimitri239 »

davelumb wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 21:29 -
I use my landing net pole. Don't make crossed wraps though as braid can cut into itself under tension. Unlikely with thick stuff, but better not to take chances.
Quite handy to know as I never realised it could damage itself like that. Cheers Dave
dimitri239
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by dimitri239 »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 21:42 -
Quite a timely example today. I got firmly snagged on 0.36mm (50lb) Power Pro and was cursing my decision to lob this lure on the lighter set-up when I had the heavy gear with 100lb PP with me. I wrapped the braid around my pliers and pulled for the expected break, but just as I expected it to bust the lure popped free. The 50lb PP had bent out a 3/0 Gamakatsu "magic eye" which are not a thin wire hook!
I can only assume that only the point had penetrated whatever it was. If it was buried in a sunken log up to the bend it would definitely have been goodbye for that lure.
That will put my mind at ease at least if I stick to the .41mm powerpro.
dimitri239
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by dimitri239 »

Jack H wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 21:22 -
dimitri239 wrote: Sat Nov 04 2023 19:08 -

Hope this helps

Jack
I’ve found it’s very smooth to cast and beds on the spool nicely . When chucking heavy lures out not had any problems with it. My lure sessions are generally quite short, but I’d imagine it would stand up fine to a full day of chucking lures. It’s the 8 strand that I use. As said previously, if you are unsure you can always step up to 100lb if your waters are really snaggey.

Jack
Thanks Jack, I'll have a look as I liked the original whiplash, always seemed very thin for the stated breaking strain though.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

My mate uses 80 I use 100, both of us fish big imported lures. He catches more than me. Daiwa J braid in green.
Make some tests on the hooks you intend to use and go up 20lb or more for your reel line.

I always forget to sort myself out a break out stick.
I end up using my arm which probably isn’t the best idea.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Sounds like you’ve already made your mind up on the braid point but I stepped up to .40(80lb), from .32(50lb) on my up to 100g lure rod.
Definitely felt better suited to throwing that size lure for me.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Best strength braid I have found for given diameter is Shimano Kairiki 8 Braid. 0.35mm is 87lb. Casts further than PowerPro, but not as abrasion resistant. It's available in four colours, although I'd avoid the yellow as that one fades to a cream colour quite quickly. The Green is OK though and the grey is the default choice.
Piking Plonker
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 16:52 -

Best strength braid I have found for given diameter is Shimano Kairiki 8 Braid. 0.35mm is 87lb. Casts further than PowerPro, but not as abrasion resistant. It's available in four colours, although I'd avoid the yellow as that one fades to a cream colour quite quickly. The Green is OK though and the grey is the default choice.
I'm seriously thinking about buying some, but frightened as being an old PP guy lol
old_school
Roach
Roach

Post by old_school »

Yes, found that out the hard way!
I’m on 40kg PP with the Axiom (Komodo 364ss) and 100lb Cahira. A dozen wraps on the pipe in a spiral (so not overlapping) will normally pull out of anything 😎
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

old_school wrote: Sun Nov 05 2023 22:21 -

Yes, found that out the hard way!
I’m on 40kg PP with the Axiom (Komodo 364ss) and 100lb Cahira. A dozen wraps on the pipe in a spiral (so not overlapping) will normally pull out of anything 😎
:thumbs: