Lures and lure fishing tactics for UK catfish?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Lures and lure fishing tactics for UK catfish?

Post by Mark Phillips »

Like the question says Image I am going to have a proper go at catching some UK cats with lures this season coming. Water choice is going to be the key I think? Need to have somewhere with a high stock level, so, got that one sorted five times over Image So, I just wondered if anyone has any pointers based on experience they'd be willing to share on the actual lures/lure fishing aspect? I know Reps have served up some random captures of cats to a few people, albeit whilst pike fishing I suspect; of course, the BIG Sandra was actually designed as a lure for catfish, so, will probably go with those as a starter for ten. I also really think big surface lures will work well and I am sure other big soft plastics will do the job too. Tackle wise, I know my usual set-ups will be a pointless exercise (short rods and multis) as I'll be on the bank and cats fight proper hard and long, unlike pike which aren't even close on either score. Plus, I am most likely to be targeting fish from upper 20 to 50 pounds. So, going to use my 10ft daiwa 4lb cat rods + the 45 baitrunners and stay with that.

My target is just to first get one, by design. Then take it from there. How hard can it be? (Clarkson Face). I have in fact now had half a dozen cats to mid 40's reeling baits in; none of those captures was intentional. They just grabbed the bait (not a live bait I might add - one of 39 actually took two boilies on a snowman intended for carp!) as I was reeling in to re-cast or pack up! So use something designed for the job and it has to work?! I can't help thinking if I can crack it, I could be in for some very productive fishing! Thank you in-advance of any replies Image
Piking Plonker
Pointngo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Lures and lure fishing tactics for UK catfish?

Post by Pointngo »

a man after my own heart. I haven't fished for catfish for about 3 years or so now but was thinking of trying it on my water at the time. Trouble was they didn't like the idea of me using lures because of foul hooking carp so i never managed to give it a good go.

there was a lad on the CCG forum at the time that had a BIG cat (70+)on a small BBZ along with a few others but as soon as they found out what he was doing they banned him! Might be worth checking out first.

I tried to catch one off the top in Spain several times but failed miserably.. most likely due to the fact that i was casting around the bait rods so couldn't cover any ground. The idea of a surface caught catfish is a great one and I've no doubt it could work.

lure wise I think you're on the money.. soft baits unless on the top, although I wouldn't rule out crankbaits with a heavy thump. Salmo fatso crank perhaps? For the topwater maybe a wobblin scud, a crawler or even a popper (a la clonk). Perhaps something like bacon rind tipping the surface lures might work? Big spoons catch catfish abroard as well. One of the sizmic mag toads might do you a job as well.

I always fancied the idea of rigging softbaits weedless and fishing all the dark snaggy bankside areas in the daytime.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on Mark.
Rivers
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Rivers »

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... l2.13l15l0

Loads of vids here. Might be in French but I'm sure you can get the idea.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

That looks bloody good fun.
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

Is that your new pb on your pic Ady....
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
martynwhite
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by martynwhite »

When I lived in Germany we used to use wide, thin gauge spoons two together "spooning" each other so they click together. It was all on rivers though so dunno about its effectiveness on stillwaters
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

[quote="Esoxuk"]Is that your new pb on your pic Ady....[/quote

Its my pb Buoy Image
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
Woodsy
Chub
Chub

Post by Woodsy »

Something that rattles Mark would be my choise Image
Ship mate of Mr T.
Pointngo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Pointngo »

martynwhite wrote:
When I lived in Germany we used to use wide, thin gauge spoons two together "spooning" each other so they click together. It was all on rivers though so dunno about its effectiveness on stillwaters
they're still used Martyn. Bertus Rozemeijer ones here.. http://www.sovereignsuperbaits.co.uk/Ot ... tfish.html
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Thanks chaps Image I shall report back once I have had a crack at it.
Piking Plonker
Joel Booth
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Joel Booth »

I'm off to France in September,fishing a 3 acre lake with cats to 50lb,my dream is to get a cat off the top.....I'm told its possible using large noisy lures like wobblin scuds or hawg wobblers,time will tell.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Yes, you'd think a big noisy top water would be just the thing? Especially when you see cats cruising around and occasionally taking prey of the surface. I've seen them take the odd small carp they found napping and have seen a couple of ducklings get gobbled. Also seem a baby coot get gulped by a very big fish; looked to be in the 80+ class that one and they're that size on one of the waters where I'll have a go with the lures. Gulp. I'll certainly be chucking some surface lures at 'em ...
Piking Plonker
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman »

Do you see them on the surface often enough to wait and cast to a rising fish Mark ?
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

martin godliman wrote:
Do you see them on the surface often enough to wait and cast to a rising fish Mark ?
You see them 'on top' all the time in warm weather on some waters Martin. They like to cruise around a lot when it gets really hot; they get very shallow at night too. I've had a few cats take surface baits actually. They'll happily gobble chum mixers all day. Let's face it, what doesn't a catfish eat?! Well, wood and plastic some would say, but we must change this!
Piking Plonker
Joel Booth
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Joel Booth »

I'm gonna try surface lures at night,the venues not to deep...should I use any type of leader,I'll be on 80/100lb braid mainline.
Joel Booth
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Joel Booth »

I'm gonna try surface lures at night,the venues not to deep...should I use any type of leader,I'll be on 80/100lb braid mainline.
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Mark Phillips wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
You see them 'on top' all the time in warm weather on some waters Martin. They like to cruise around a lot when it gets really hot; they get very shallow at night too. I've had a few cats take surface baits actually. They'll happily gobble chum mixers all day. Let's face it, what doesn't a catfish eat?! Well, wood and plastic some would say, but we must change this!
I understand the fascination with the idea of catching cats on lures Mark those bits of film earlier on the thread make it look possible and very exciting, yet somehow catches in this country have been accidental and very infrequent one might think the law of averages should serve the numbers caught better.

I can't help thinking that for a cat to strike there needs to more than just lure action, like say they can detect muscular electric charges in the water from any creature nearby into those incredibly sensitive whiskers, please prove me wrong and get a few.
martynwhite
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by martynwhite »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-VRrFnPOY
here's a Germsn catching on a shad
Pointngo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Pointngo »

Joel Booth wrote:
you'd want to use something like 95lb seaguar fluoro for a leader, or even just a hard mono or a shock leader like greased weasel (not sure how heavy that goes though)
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Almost everywhere I fish for cats is not lure fished, by anyone. I think that's half the problem? Anywhere that is lure fished, the cat stocks are very, very low? I think those two things alone might give the impression that it's a waste of time trying? Only one way to find out Image I'm optimistic at getting a few anyway. We shall see Image

Leader wise? I'll just use two foot of use ton up.
Piking Plonker
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Post by Patrick Bateman »

A lot of waters I fish with cats in ban trebles and wire which can make using lures problematic if pike are in the water, too.

I have been working on a cunning plan re cats and artificials that has yet to pay off. I think I may be waiting a loooooong time, too! Image I need to start looking at "high density" cat waters rather than the needle in a hastack venues I'm currenty going at...
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
A lot of waters I fish with cats in ban trebles and wire which can make using lures problematic if pike are in the water, too.

I have been working on a cunning plan re cats and artificials that has yet to pay off. I think I may be waiting a loooooong time, too! Image I need to start looking at "high density" cat waters rather than the needle in a hastack venues I'm currenty going at...
Nail on head Patrick Image I've got a couple of waters lined up that fit the bill. I think that's half the battle won. I can only learn by catching them is the motto I go by, so trying to faff around on low stock waters or where rules such as no trebles or even no lure fishing impede my efforts aint going to work. So, p**s easy, high stock water, no silly rules and the rest is down to my knowledge and skill. God help me Image
Piking Plonker
Pointngo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Pointngo »

it might be an idea to target them around spawning time Mark as they get very aggressive when they nest, as i'm sure you already know mate.
Clarkey1972
Perch
Perch

Post by Clarkey1972 »

loads of anglers on the continent catch cats on lures. spoons seem to be a good option as do shads fished vertically.

I would be trying fishing at night.

Im on a lake in France in May for a week and hope to catch one on a lure, most probably at night though.
davmut
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by davmut »

Pointngo wrote:
a man after my own heart. I haven't fished for catfish for about 3 years or so now but was thinking of trying it on my water at the time. Trouble was they didn't like the idea of me using lures because of foul hooking carp so i never managed to give it a good go.

there was a lad on the CCG forum at the time that had a BIG cat (70+)on a small BBZ along with a few others but as soon as they found out what he was doing they banned him! Might be worth checking out first.

I tried to catch one off the top in Spain several times but failed miserably.. most likely due to the fact that i was casting around the bait rods so couldn't cover any ground. The idea of a surface caught catfish is a great one and I've no doubt it could work.

lure wise I think you're on the money.. soft baits unless on the top, although I wouldn't rule out crankbaits with a heavy thump. Salmo fatso crank perhaps? For the topwater maybe a wobblin scud, a crawler or even a popper (a la clonk). Perhaps something like bacon rind tipping the surface lures might work? Big spoons catch catfish abroard as well. One of the sizmic mag toads might do you a job as well.

I always fancied the idea of rigging softbaits weedless and fishing all the dark snaggy bankside areas in the daytime.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on Mark.
The lad on thre CCG forum, claimed to have caught fish on lures but never actually offered up any evidence. He was actually banned from Crows Heath for livebaiting.

Bull Dawgs have done really wel on the Ebro at the Riba-Roja dam. these may well be worth a go. As has already been said something with a nice rattle. Colours don't really come into play as cats hae poor eyesight, but they are very tuned in to movement and vibration. Possibly a jointed lure with a good rattle would work well.

I would also recommend changing the trable hooks over to singles as trables can easily staple a cats mouth shut.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Pointngo wrote:
there was a lad on the CCG forum at the time that had a BIG cat (70 )on a small BBZ along with a few others but as soon as they found out what he was doing they banned him! Might be worth checking out first.
Any more details on that, Marc? I suggested to Wayne that his 60+ fish was possibly a UK lure-caught best, but perhaps it isn't. It's still one hell of a fish though Image

For anyone interested, Wayne's monster lure-caught cat from last week can be seen here Image
Pointngo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Pointngo »

hi Steve,

no proof unfortunately mate. We spoke via pm for a long while about it but I never got a photo. He had been on the CCG forum for quite a while and seemed genuine but as Dave has pointed out, there wasn't any solid evidence. The Spro rep was very interested in it for obvious reasons but I don't think he got any response when I put them in touch.

Perhaps it was just bullshit and bad apples!? What a tosser! Perhaps I need to be more careful on the wording I post! Image

In the absence of evidence of that fish I'd say that Wayne's fish probably is the biggest lure caught UK cat. It's some fish on a lure for sure!
lesrigby
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lesrigby »

Image what a fish on a lure Image
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Jamie
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jamie »

It would have been nice to know exactly how much Wayne's fish weighed but no decent scales were available at the time , it certainly wasn't happy about being caught . Image